LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
8,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me 04 came with an aftermarket stereo. The Pioneer head unit with JBL speakers seems just fine by itself. However, there is an amplifier and subwoofer in the trunk. I don't need the additional noise and the sub takes up way too much trunk space. I've turned the sub off and the remaining system sound is still great and more than enough for me.

I'd like to remove the amp and sub altogether, but I want to make sure the amp is only there to power the sub. I think that's the case but I'm no electronics expert. Below are some images showing how the amp is wired. Can anyone tell me if the amp is ONLY there to power the sub?

Font Audio equipment Gadget Cable Gas

Automotive tire Computer hardware Audio equipment Electrical wiring Bumper

Audio equipment Gadget Electrical wiring Cable Technology

"Trigger" refers to a wire from the head unit so that the amp only comes on when the head unit comes on. The "subwoofer" cables are just the speaker wires that connect to the sub. The "remote" connects to a knob up front separate from the head unit that controls how much bass the sub makes. The "RCA outs" are connected to the RCA outs on the head unit directly. These are only for things controlled outside the normal speaker outputs in the main wiring loom.

Basically, if I rip out this amp, will the rest of the system (interior speakers) function as normal? I guess I can disconnect the power from the amp and see how it sounds?

·
Administrator
9,502 Posts
Yep, that’s only powering the subwoofer. You can remove everything if you no longer want the sub in there.

·
Administrator
9,502 Posts
Meanwhile I went the full opposite direction:

Infinity Kappa 60.7cs 2 way component front speakers.
Infinity Kappa 63.71 3 way rear speakers.
Kicker 6.5" rear deck subs.
HiFonics Zeus ZX8000 5 channel, 1000 watt amp.
Audio Control LC6i input convertor.
12" JL Audio Sub.

It's obnoxious and will shake your body to the soul, yet rarely listen to music at all.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive parking light Hood

Reactions: Reaperhwk

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Meanwhile I went the full opposite direction:

Infinity Kappa 60.7cs 2 way component front speakers.
Infinity Kappa 63.71 3 way rear speakers.
Kicker 6.5" rear deck subs.
HiFonics Zeus ZX8000 5 channel, 1000 watt amp.
Audio Control LC6i input convertor.
12" JL Audio Sub.

It's obnoxious and will shake your body to the soul, yet rarely listen to music at all.
View attachment 518670
My box isnt that big but shiiit.

·
Administrator
9,502 Posts
Yeah, I went a bit full stupid on it. Trunk panel, doors and the entire rear behind the seats is covered in dynamat to prevent rattles.

·
GR-RRR!
8,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The sub in the car at the time is a single speaker tube sub speaker enclosure and when turned up can certainly shake the car (and make the trunk lid rattle). It actually sounds pretty clear, I just don't need that kind of loudness. I like a stereo to produce clear and well balanced output. All personal preference. I also listen to news more than music when I'm in my car anyway so don't really need a sub to listen to news.

To be fair, I did recently reconnect the amp/sub system which had a broken wire and wasn't working to see if the amp/sub brought anything useful to my listening pleasure. While running errands yesterday I was listening to the Doobie Brothers and turning up the sub did not add anything to the experience. I guess powerful subs just aren't conducive to my kind of music. :D The Pioneer head unit appears to have more than enough power by itself to cleanly run the interior speakers and the interior speakers seem to be of decent quality. There is a flexible equalizer in the head unit so I can fine tune to my likes.

·
Administrator
9,502 Posts
Yup, we all have different sound preferences. I'm an emerging audiophile, and can't listen to anything without a well put together system including a subwoofer. It just brings much more life and depth to everything regardless of the listening level. Too many people just crank the bass up and have no clue how to calibrate them. Tuned properly, they should seem invisible until the track commands it.

Reactions: Napalm

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
2,005 Posts
Yup, we all have different sound preferences. I'm an emerging audiophile, and can't listen to anything without a well put together system including a subwoofer. It just brings much more life and depth to everything regardless of the listening level. Too many people just crank the bass up and have no clue how to calibrate them. Tuned properly, they should seem invisible until the track commands it.
That's how the subwoofer for our TV works. The sound bar handles most of the sound, but the subwoofer kicks in with the low bass. It's noticeable with music, movies, and even regular TV shows on occasion.

·
Administrator
9,502 Posts
Yeah soundbars take the guesswork out it and make it extremely easy to set-up. I started with various HTIB's (home theater in a box), and moved up to a dedicated AVR, speakers, and subwoofers as I wanted more out of my systems (one in the garage, one in the den, one in the basement, and one in my office).

I've had numerous subwoofers in my cars over the year too and didn't really know how to get them integrated until I began working with higher end AVR equipment and running room correction software to tie them all in. Took what I learned from those and applied it to the cars. WAY better.

I'm now a huge Klipsch and SVS fanboy for home audio. Anyway, I digress...

Reactions: Westphal

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
12,329 Posts
FOCAL or nothing. 👺

LOL -no I don't own any either there is a significant slope of diminehing returns with most audio equipment. but I agree once you get a taste for what's available and not even crazy spendy - it's hard to go back. Still trying to figure out what I want to put in the truck. G8 like the GTO got a set of JBL speakers and componets. and the G8 nearly got an aftermarket headunit but too much hassle. GTO did and it was probably the second best mod I ever did to that car. First being tuning.

At home I have marantz running Energy speakers that are over 15 years old. The only 3 ways they ever made that I know of. if I have to replace I'll build my own.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
12,329 Posts
RIch I would consider leaving that wire and tieing/taping it up. In case you ever sell that car might be a point for a potential buyer - and it'll be a pain to take out vs pin back.

·
GR-RRR!
8,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Home stereo, whole different thing. I have NAD electronics, a Linn turntable (lots of vinyl) and Magnapan speakers in the main system and Paradigm speakers for the secondary system.

I expect I'll be keeping the 04 for a good long time so taking out the wiring as well seems to make sense. I'll decide later once I know more how and where it is runs the length of the car.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
1,328 Posts
Yeah soundbars take the guesswork out it and make it extremely easy to set-up. I started with various HTIB's (home theater in a box), and moved up to a dedicated AVR, speakers, and subwoofers as I wanted more out of my systems (one in the garage, one in the den, one in the basement, and one in my office).

I've had numerous subwoofers in my cars over the year too and didn't really know how to get them integrated until I began working with higher end AVR equipment and running room correction software to tie them all in. Took what I learned from those and applied it to the cars. WAY better.

I'm now a huge Klipsch and SVS fanboy for home audio. Anyway, I digress...
Did you get the Harmon kardon in your scat? If so how you like it?

·
Administrator
9,502 Posts
It's trash compared to a good system, and marginally better then the stock offering
This. Have the upgraded Alpine in the Challenger but the base Alpine in the Charger. A good sub $1000 subwoofer coupled with the base Alpine will blow away the $2k HK system.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts