LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Est. Apr 2004
Joined
·
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help my battery died! (won't hold a charge)

I just picked up the GOAT from the dealership on Thurs. (Now everyone can call me an idiot for this next sentence or two) When we went to pick it up the battery was dead. They charged it up while we did all the paper work and it fired right up. I did insist that they replace the battery but they assured me it would be ok, you know charge while running etc. So I took it home ran it Fri to and from work (40 miles each way) and went out that night (another 50 miles or so) Brought it home and charged the battery from 7 AM Sat till 11 AM and drove it off (about 30 miles) Went to start her up about 15 minutes later and it cranked REALLY SLOW then started up. Drove it a bit and shut her off. A few hours later went to start her up again and the same thing happened. Started to turn over, all kinds of lights went on then looked like it was gonna die then all of a sudden it roared to life. So I got a little worried but it didn't seem like a battery problem, maybe starter, relay, or loose connection. So I went to start it Sunday and it barely cranked then started. I drove for a few minutes and it stopped running while I was driving, engine cut out and I panicked. Took awhile to get it started but I got her running. Anyway brought it home and charged it all day. I just went out to start it and it fired right up. To end this long story, if anyone is still reading this, I'm taking her to the dealer in the morning for a new battery. I'll let ya know what happens.

Has anyone else had this issue? Could it be a loose wire? Bad alternator? Or just a bad battery?

Thanks
 

·
May I quote you on that?
Joined
·
22,046 Posts
Wow. That's the first dead battery story I've heard from a recently shipped car. I would have thought they might have cleaned up their act with the car keys by now. Or it could be that the OEM batteries are just fragile crap.
 

·
Est. Apr 2004
Joined
·
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the advice, have one on me! :drink: The dealer took care of the issue yesterday. I watched them run tests on the alternator output and had them check the voltage regulator. They put the battery on a load tester and found it was the culprit, they dropped a new one in and I'm on my way. I'll let ya know if the issue returns. The wife's got the GOAT today, I'm sure I'll hear about ANY little problems or weirdness.
 

·
J.A.F. User
Joined
·
61 Posts
radkon said:
Has anyone else had this issue? Could it be a loose wire? Bad alternator? Or just a bad battery?

Thanks
My car had a bad battery also when delivered. In fact the dealer found out that several of them were sitting at the Annapolis railhead waiting for new batteries. GM decided to ship the car after a charge-up, and hope the battery would find the dealer sometime soon. The problem was, the dealer had nothing close as far as physical size and electrical specifications were concerned. They installed the new battery, and all was good - except for the defective red gauge cluster which took another 3 weeks to order.

Other than that, everything's been fine. :)
 

·
Est. Apr 2004
Joined
·
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My dealer replaced the factory one with a new delco, isn't the same as stock but fits the bill. I'll try to get a part # or specs on it later.

Update:
I couldn't find any specs on the thing, wierd. But its an AC Delso with a 7yr warranty. Seems to do the job but its no Optima. Pic attached.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
I got my GTO on March 8. Last Friday- May 21- I went to start the car and the battery didn't have enough power to turn the starter. I got a jump and drove about 25 miles and it hadn't charged enough to start again, so I figured it was the battery. Charged overnight and still wouldn't turn over. Went out Saturday am and bought 7 year battery - started right up! I guess they still gotta cut some corners!
 

·
Est. Apr 2004
Joined
·
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wildwall said:
I got my GTO on March 8. Last Friday- May 21- I went to start the car and the battery didn't have enough power to turn the starter. I got a jump and drove about 25 miles and it hadn't charged enough to start again, so I figured it was the battery. Charged overnight and still wouldn't turn over. Went out Saturday am and bought 7 year battery - started right up! I guess they still gotta cut some corners!
Give the dealer the reciept, thats covered under warranty!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
I have a friend that works at the place where they take all the cars for the Tampa Bay area off the train and loads them on the trucks. He says that about ALL of them have dead batteries on arrival.

I really wish I would have switched out my new Optima Red Top from my Monte Carlo when I traded her in!!!

Good luck all,
_DM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
Wildwall, Radkon is right. Get your money back... warranty... Many post on bad Batt. on this site.. And Welcome.. There are many great wonderful knowledgable people on this site. Cos
 

·
Est. Apr 2004
Joined
·
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dmonty said:
I have a friend that works at the place where they take all the cars for the Tampa Bay area off the train and loads them on the trucks. He says that about ALL of them have dead batteries on arrival.
That doesn't really surprise me. Think about it, takes a week or two from production line to shipping yard in OZ. Another week or so to get them on the boat, 30 days to get to the west coast. Another week or two in the shipping and rail yards on the west coast. About a week by rail to the east coast. Another week to get on a truck and dropped off at the dealer. So 10 to 12 weeks in shipping with brief periods of the engine running. What surprises me is that the stock batteries don't seem to hold a charge once they are run everyday. I haven't had one problem since mine was replaced. (see my earlier post)
 

·
duh
Joined
·
1,214 Posts
Had to have my alternator replaced on the first day.
 

·
Oh my f*ck!
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
I replaced the factory battery solely on the basis that it was ugly. Red top Optimas are "t3h bm0b!
 

·
Member #804
Joined
·
5,539 Posts
Its a common mis conception that running the car charges the battery, the alternator maintains the charge in the battery while providing the electrical potential for accessories in the car.

I think we have good batteries in the GTO, I just tested mine today with my Snap On Micro VAT (voltage amperage tester) our batteries are 610 CCA mine put out 698CCA and didn't drop below 10.0V during load test or cranking. Thats a good perfoming battery.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
GMH GTO said:
Its a common mis conception that running the car charges the battery, the alternator maintains the charge in the battery while providing the electrical potential for accessories in the car.

I think we have good batteries in the GTO, I just tested mine today with my Snap On Micro VAT (voltage amperage tester) our batteries are 610 CCA mine put out 698CCA and didn't drop below 10.0V during load test or cranking. Thats a good perfoming battery.
Do you mean idling the car doesn't give the alternator enough rpm to do anything but maintain the battery? Or what are you saying about the alternator not charging the battery?
 

·
Member #804
Joined
·
5,539 Posts
The alternator no matter what speed of engine maintains battery charge. In other words if you have a dead battery letting the car charge it isn't an efficient way of doing so.

If the alternator was capable of doing so it would over charge the battery, how can it tell when the batterys charged?
 

·
Knight Errant
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
GMH GTO said:
The alternator no matter what speed of engine maintains battery charge. In other words if you have a dead battery letting the car charge it isn't an efficient way of doing so.

If the alternator was capable of doing so it would over charge the battery, how can it tell when the batterys charged?
The voltage regulator IC in the alternator takes care of that.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
GMH GTO said:
The alternator no matter what speed of engine maintains battery charge. In other words if you have a dead battery letting the car charge it isn't an efficient way of doing so.

If the alternator was capable of doing so it would over charge the battery, how can it tell when the batterys charged?
Clearly the alternator can charge the battery. Like you said it's not very efficent at doing so, but it does charge the battery.

A voltage regular would be what controls the amount of power the alternator is making, which insures an overcharge doesn't happen.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top