LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Pissin' in the wind.
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this really sucks pretty bad for me. I noticed some oil on the skid plate not too long ago and tightened my oil filter and plug and went about my bussiness. 100 miles later noticed it again and took it in. The dealer is telling me that my oil pan gasket is leaking. The kicker. They are telling me that they need to pull the [email protected]%ing engine to change it. 13 hours of labor. Even worse, I have a Maggie. No warranty for U! They are telling me that the Maggie boost increases crankcase pressure and this has cause my leak.

Now I have talked to a few people and this doesn't seem right. Vaccuum maybe. If the PCV system is working correctly then this shouldn't be happening. I spoke with Magnusson and they told me that the dealers reasoning is BS. What about if I was running tons of boost? Maybe then? I have a 2.8 pulley and I'm at 4500 ft. elev. So my boost is on the low side anyway. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I think that I have heard that it is possible to change the oil pan gasket by dropping the front crossmember? Any clue on this? I told them to prove that the Maggie caused the problem and they are going to contact the rep. I have my Vasoline ready and my pants are already undone cause I know it's coming. They aren't going to warranty a modded car for 13 hours of labor if they can get big $$$ from a non-warranty repair. However, I do wonder if the bolts on the oil pan weren't tight to begin with? The car only has 4,600 miles on it.

Lastly, I know someone is going to say blaah, blahh, "Your car is modded, what do you expect?" I am aware of this. I am looking for advice not ridicule. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
595 Posts
try some rtv around the leak....

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
if you have 2 jackstands, a floor jack, a socket set, and a engine hoist you can do it yourself in about 2 hours by dropping the k member.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
well since they are claiming that the magnusson is causing the issue, have magnusson go to bat for you with their "magnusson warranty act"....

·
Pissin' in the wind.
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I know there has to be an easier way than to pull the engine. So does anyone think that the crankcase pressure could be high enough with the maggie to cause this. I have a feeling that when I tell them to prove it they won't be able to and or just blow it off. If they can prove it Magnusson will fix it under their drivetrain warranty.

·
GT-f-O: Just Say No to Rice
114 Posts
Okay, so let's look at the data here:
  1. Dealer says SC somehow stuffed a bunch of air in the crankcase and blew an oil pan seal....yeah right...
  2. Magnusson says BS. (That’s good, but it's not enough)
  3. Okay, next step is that Magnusson has to prove it.
  4. Can Magnusson provide technical documentation that will convince dealership/GM as to why this is BS. Maybe the dealership just isn't comfortable charging the repair against warranty without supporting documentation.
  5. Will Magnusson go to bat for you and work with the dealer?
  6. I'm really curious how much they will stand behind you.
  7. Do you have Magnusson’s power train warranty and is this included?
Also, let's look at what else could blow an oil pan seal:
  • A clogged PCV system could do that also. That, to me, seems like a warranty issue unless the SC somhow created a tone of blow-by that clogged the PCV system.
  • Excessive blow-by from major piston ring problems...maybe...I would think it have to be a lot for the PCV not to handle it...and you would also be burning a lot of oil, have low compression and/or and smoke in the exhaust.
  • A hole in one of your pistons could too, but I'm assuming the dealership would have noticed that :sneaky:
  • What else am I missing here?
BTW what you are going through is what I think most of us considering and/or that have FI lay awake at night over: Spending $7,000+ on FI and then having a big $$ problem that seems completely unrelated to FI voided under warranty due to the FI. I'm very interested how this one ends for you and I would hope Magnusson would be equally concerned. You might mention to them that you post on this forum.

·
That ain't no cake
2,665 Posts
Just had my rear main and pan gasket replaced under waranty,I'm stock, there is a TSB on the rear main. Good luck, hope you get it taken care of.

·
Pissin' in the wind.
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I'm interested to see how this one pans out as well. You are exactly right about lying awake at night. I am a honest guy and if the S/C would have screwed something up that was more directly related to the increased HP I would take it without any sniffling or crying. I knew that sh!t was gonna go wrong when I did my mods. Drivetrain, driveline, clutch.....this though? Oh well, guess that is why I don't gamble. My luck is bad sometimes. I'll get it fixed one way or another. Having right shoulder surgery on Wed. I won't be able to drive my M6 for two months anyway.:madsign3:

·
GT-f-O: Just Say No to Rice
114 Posts
Saluki1 said:
Yeah, I'm interested to see how this one pans out as well. You are exactly right about lying awake at night. I am a honest guy and if the S/C would have screwed something up that was more directly related to the increased HP I would take it without any sniffling or crying. I knew that sh!t was gonna go wrong when I did my mods. Drivetrain, driveline, clutch.....this though? Oh well, guess that is why I don't gamble. My luck is bad sometimes. I'll get it fixed one way or another. Having right shoulder surgery on Wed. I won't be able to drive my M6 for two months anyway.:madsign3:
How's this going? Is MagnaCharger helping you out with GM. Has the dealer been able to prove how a SC will blow an oil pan seal?

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
The gasket is riveted to the pan from the factory,It does take a while to do the job.
Anthony

·
Want Halo....
1,829 Posts
Anthony, did you ever end up pulling yours. If memory serves me you cracked the pan right ?

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Yes I did,I pulled the k-member and replaced the pan by myself. If I remember right it took me less than 3 hrs start to finish working alone(which I don't recommend).Tha K-member is heavy for one.
Anthony

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts
if the dealer won't honor the waranty, don't let them work in your car. they'll rape you, and they'll laugh at you while doing it.
it sucks, i know, but is the price sometimes we pay to play. i know if something blows up from my engine i won't even bother taking her to the dealer.. Good Luck.

·
got torque?
14 Posts
if u get screwd by both GM and the SC warranty i agree with whoever said to take the SC off and go to another dealer if u want it warrantied. or just buy the gasket and do it yourself. and dont forget to clean the mating surfaces when u put it back together (nothing too abarsive on the block, ur dealn with aluminum). and if u need the torque specs or something send me a message cuz i work for GM..im one of those "service monkeys" so i have acess to almost any info ud need. actually if ur near MA i forgot to see where ur from, id be willing to bet the place where i work wud warranty it for u..we warranty all kinds of stuff that shudnt be

·
Maggie Powered
327 Posts
You bought a maggie and have no money to fix the car??????????Yes i feel for you in way..You knew you were voiding the warranty when you maggied it!!!!!!! Better take the blower off and have the ECM tuned to stock settings and cry to another dealer, or step up and pay the money. And in the future maybe have a stock ECM handy so you can switch it out if the maggie has to come off. Or call 1-800-whaaaaamblance. I dont mean to sound rude but you mod the car you step up and take a risk!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts