LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have dropped the rear cradle and are working on the rear control arm inner bushing but having no success. We've drilled it, tried burning and about a dozen other things. Anyone have any ideas? Its the one by the driveshaft, it has a plastic inner collar and appears to be molded into the rubber. We've drilled a dozen holes and still won't budge! :banghead:

·
I go slow now.
884 Posts
Just buy lunch for your help. Then let them take care of it. For those considering replacing the same bushings, take your time. It will take some time to drill out the rubber and metal that is sandwiched between te outside collar and the actual piece of metal in the middle. Then use a large set of channel locks and try to force te bushing out. Once it starts coming out, you wil need to find a bolt and nut to stick in the center of the bushing and continue pressing it out. Take you time and be sure to trim the outer colar as much as possible.

·
Mid-Atlantic Moderator
2,048 Posts
Hey man, do you have any pics of where you are at with it right now. If you've tried everything listed above pictures may speak 1,000 words in this one.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll get pics posted tonight. As Nate said we ended up getting it out but g'damn I don't know if it was worth it. :banghead:

·
Mid-Atlantic Moderator
2,048 Posts
Yeah on is horrid to say the least to change, at least you should only have to do it once ;)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I know its too late to help you now but...I think midwest has offered-up their tool for this to forum members.

·
Hi-Performance Minis
271 Posts
radkon said:
As Nate said we ended up getting it out but g'damn I don't know if it was worth it. :banghead:
Don't say that, it better have been worth it.....that 14 hour session enlightened me on some muscles I didn't know existed! :drink:

·
got man pedal?
1,292 Posts
when i did my noltec bushings,for the inner one i took a hacksaw blade and carefully sawed away the plastic collar on the one side then used a puller to get it out,the one side the middle pulled out and i had to saw the collar inside the controll arm to get it out,it was a long process,but i believe it was worth it with the noltecs,they offer adjustment as well as firming up the rear

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK guys here are the pics of the rear control arm's inner and outter bushings

Pic of the inner bushing

Another Pic of the inner bushing. The inner metal crush tube has "ears" on it which hold the rubbber and the whole thing is encased in plastic/nylon which makes it VERY hard to get out.

Another Pic of the inner bushing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts