LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
It's simple physics
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on the way home at about 3/4 throttle the car made a half second sound like detontation on the 2 to 3 upshift (i'm an A4). Never heard this before, tired to reproduce it and got it to do it one more time, again around 3/4 throttle on an upshift. This time the sound happened right at the shift, quit, and then did it again, both times for about half a second, with a half second pause in the middle.

Tried one last time with all other diversions eliminated (stereo etc...) and this time it didnt' really sound like detonation, it sounded like a pop, almost like a butterfly valve snapping shut or a BOV. I don't know if this is the same thing i was hearing above or not.

Needless to say, I'm pretty bummed about this. Any ideas? Full tank, no odd smells, good trans and oil levels, no excessive temp. Have periodically had a phantom Crankshaft Position Sensor A electrical fault trouble code thrown (three times in three months).

LR

PS - at WOT if I suddenly get off it completely it will sometimes (once in a great long while) make the popping noise as well. I didn't want to do any WOT runs after hearing these noises so I can't test - don't want to run risk of doing damage (or more damage).

·
Registered
593 Posts
Might be detonation. Tune? My friend with a N/A 2005 has had this problem. Heavy part throttle only. He has an agressive tune. 91 octane gas in Cali is a problem.

·
Registered
468 Posts
i dont know why or if anyone else feels this way, but that post was reaaallllly hard to read.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts