LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was wondering if anyone had this same problem or would know what my problem could be... i have 2 10" Alpine subs with a Infinity amp. When i put the amp in the car and run the wires to it and just get it hooked up with the ignition on the subs work fine but after i let the car sit for a few minutes with the keys out of the ignition and the go put the keys in the ignition and turn the radio on the amp will have the power light on but will not be putting anything out to the subs.. then while leaving the ignition on i will disconnect the ground or positive wire either one works and re connect it the subs will work just fine until i shut the ingnition off and pull the keys out for a few minutes.... My connections are good and the amp is getting power and the power light is on its just that it wont put out any power to the subs unitl i disconnect a wire and hook it back up... i am newer to car audio systems so i have never seen anything like this before.. please help!!

·
Where are the women and booze
2,089 Posts
does the amp have a signal sensing circuit? If it does and you have it switched on AND are using the remote turn on that could cause a goofy problem like that. It sounds like it has something to do with getting signal to the amp since you have power. How are you getting signal to the amp? High level in, LOC, or aftermarket deck?

·
Got Zydrate?
2,471 Posts
If you actually have the remote on set up correctly, it sounds like the remote on is powering up be fore the amp.

ie. the "on" switch is on but no power is being applied to the amp at that time, or they are both being applied at the same time, which could cause the same thing.

Since you didn't say otherwise, I am presuming you are using the stock HU. and using it's circuit for the power application.

Try this TEST - have the 12vdc main power for the amp connected DIRECTLY to the battery and leave the "remote on" connected as is. Turn on the car, if everything works as it's supposed to, you are having the problem I described. The solution will be to have the amp connected this way with a 30 amp fuse about 12" from the battery.

·
New Owner, with a WEG
137 Posts
Key question #1: Are you using the factory head unit? If so, be aware that there isn't a remote turn-on wire for the factory subwoofer amp. Instead, the signal is 'floated' on the speaker wires which drive the subwoofer amp. If you are running the factory head unit output into the input of an aftermarket amplifier, it's likely to see that constant DC input and shutdown the amplifier signal to protect the amp (and your speakers). Try using the yellow wire on the right side of the console (below the radio) that's intended for the cellular phone adapter as a remote turn-on wire. And, run a ground loop isolator between the factory speaker wires and your amplifier input (if that's the way you currently have it connected). This will block the DC signal from getting to the input of your amplifer.

Good luck, and feel free to reply with a detailed description of how your system is configured. It's hard to guess at the zillions of ways it *could* be connected.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks For All Your Help

well i tried a few different test that you guys suggested and everything was working ok with the amp. for my input i am running a hi/lo converter off of the back factory "subwoofer" speakers. today i thought just as a wild idea that i could try and tee in with one of the speakers in the backseat for my input with the converter. well it really suprised me but it worked just fine and everything is in working order now. thanks again for all your help

·
Where are the women and booze
2,089 Posts
jack13harms said:
well i tried a few different test that you guys suggested and everything was working ok with the amp. for my input i am running a hi/lo converter off of the back factory "subwoofer" speakers. today i thought just as a wild idea that i could try and tee in with one of the speakers in the backseat for my input with the converter. well it really suprised me but it worked just fine and everything is in working order now. thanks again for all your help
Do the factory subs not kick on until a certain volume? I remember my Z28 doing that and that would explain a lack of signal.

Anyway, glad to hear you got it fixed.

·
Got Zydrate?
2,471 Posts
DiamondJoeQuimby said:
Do the factory subs not kick on until a certain volume? I remember my Z28 doing that and that would explain a lack of signal.

Anyway, glad to hear you got it fixed.
The signal the remote on needs may not be high enough until a certian volume level is reached

1 - 8 of 8 Posts