LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have an alignment tool i could borrow?? i would pay shipping and such. just dont want to buy one when im only going to use it once. going to try and install the 408 soon :)

thanks,
josh

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i find it hard to believe out of the 50 links i sent yesterday that none of those guys have the tool :) lol. come on somebody help me out!!!

·
Might wanna knock first...
4,355 Posts
eyeball it. most alignment tools are crap anyways.

but then again, if you don't get it good and centered...

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i dont get it centered i will know it because it wont bolt up snugly right???

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Yes, if it isn't centered, it will be difficult to get the trans lined up. It will not hurt anything once it is installed. I had a guy tell me that a clutch failed because the shop didn't align it properly- hmm, ok. I just can't deal with some people lol.
Joe

·
4,355 Posts
yup...joe caught me sleeping.

What clutch did you get that didn't come with the pilot tool?

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got a rps 2900#

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Enginerd said:
No, the big concern would be the pressure plate won't engage the clutch disc properly and distribute pressure evenly. It's a dicey proposition...but it can (and has) been done successfully many-a-time.

What clutch did you get that didn't come with the pilot tool?
Huh?? The disc is floating- once you release pressure by pushing in the clutch, it doesn't matter where you centered the disc, it will "self center" itself. There is no such thing as aligning the disc on the pressure plate for proper operation, it is only for installing the trans. Or did I mis-understand what you typed?
Joe

·
4,355 Posts
no you've got me Joe :)

yupper. Thanks for pointing that out...for some reason I was thinking of a time we lost a clutch when the pressure plate warped and pressed unevenly on the disc surface

think i'll have another.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Enginerd said:
no you've got me Joe :)

yupper. Thanks for pointing that out...for some reason I was thinking of a time we lost a clutch when the pressure plate warped and pressed unevenly on the disc surface

think i'll have another.

Hah- enjoy- I drank all mine last night and forgot to get more today :(..
Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts