LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy asking favors again...I know, I know...;) Anyway, like many of you, I have had great experience with Mobil 1. So, around 750-1000 miles, I would like to change. Would anyone be willing to give me a hand with the change, or would you just suggest going to the dealer on a Saturday and having it done? Thanks a lot, I just figured that maybe there is someone around that would like to help me out, have a little fun, and save me a litte cash!

Thanks,
Brett

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
im game to help, but i have to warn you, i havent changed oil on the GTO yet, long past the day since i change my own oil, but im willing to get my hands dirty....well oily in this case, and help you out.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Doing it yourself is a good idea, my one and only oil change at 3k was to M1 and the dealer wanted $86 for it... that was the last oil change they would be doing.

Here's another question for those in the know... oil change records are important for maintaining warranty. What does one need to do/keep to maintain a record of self done oil changes that will satisfy warranty requirements?

Diana

·
IX HANDZ
308 Posts
Huntress said:
Doing it yourself is a good idea, my one and only oil change at 3k was to M1 and the dealer wanted $86 for it... that was the last oil change they would be doing.

Here's another question for those in the know... oil change records are important for maintaining warranty. What does one need to do/keep to maintain a record of self done oil changes that will satisfy warranty requirements?

Diana
Huntress, just write it down, it will cover any warranty issues you have. Your word is just as good as anything.....Even though I have never heard of a warranty problem due to not changing oil or maintaing the car......Remember if somebody tries to deny a warranty claim, you just have to tell them to PROVE it.....

BTW: LS1's are easy to change the oil on......

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
GMH GTO said that he would help any GTO owner change his oil. ask him. i think he even has a lift

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Fraser has access to a lift, I can do it easily as well. I'm constantly changing oil in my fleet of cars. :)

It's real easy on our cars. Move or remove the skidplate, the drain plug is 13mm (a slight difference from standard GM 15mm), and the oil filter being right next to the pan allows for it to be drained simultaneously.

Diane,
Keep a log in Excel and keep your oil and filter receipts. The only time you would need to provide this documentation for warranty is if your engine suffered a catastrophic failure related to the oiling system.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
i guess i found one good thing about my dealer, its only 60 bucks and thats tax included for a synth change......and the lube everything too, and yes i did say lube, everything is better with lube.... EVERYTHING.......

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
BTLew81 said:
New guy asking favors again...I know, I know...;) Anyway, like many of you, I have had great experience with Mobil 1. So, around 750-1000 miles, I would like to change. Would anyone be willing to give me a hand with the change, or would you just suggest going to the dealer on a Saturday and having it done? Thanks a lot, I just figured that maybe there is someone around that would like to help me out, have a little fun, and save me a litte cash!

Thanks,
Brett
I could help you out, I work night shift at a shop in Lombard. Unless your willing to come really late during the week like 10:30-midnight, Saturday is best. Drop me a PM when you wanna come by, this saturday i'm busy.

Bring 6 quarts (i do have suggestions on what oil is best) but M1 5w30 is fine. And a filter Mobil 1 M1-107 or Delco PF46.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd also be best off comin on a Saturday...I will let ya know when is best, probably won't be for a month or so! Thanks so much!

Brett

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
I posted this in another thread, but, if you are a Sam's Club member, you can get a 6-pack of 5W30 Mobil-One for $22.99. I am personally sticking with the ACDelco filter. Dealer would charge me $18 for the oil change and filter, making it about $41 total if I provide my own oil (easy). I don't have ramps or I'd do it myself (getting too old/achy to lay on the ground :)

·
IX HANDZ
308 Posts
Walmart has 5quart jugs of M1 5W-30 going for like 19 bucks, just picked one up this afternoon......

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
This link may be of interest to you.....

Another Mobil 1 Customer

Changed mine at 800 miles, currently has 3,200 miles.

Paid 41 bucks in and out in less than 10 minutes. No dirty oil to get rid off, quick, painless, and easy. For this price, I would never consider DIY.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
WalMart vs. Sam's

White97z28 said:
Walmart has 5quart jugs of M1 5W-30 going for like 19 bucks, just picked one up this afternoon......
Forgot to mention that. Unfortunately, our cars take 6 quarts of oil, so you have to buy two jugs, and then "juggle" :). That's what makes the 6 quarts for $22.99 at Sam's a little nicer - besides being a little cheaper ($3.83/qt vs. $3.99/qt). Of course, I have my Sam's membership through work (get to go over and buy toner/blank CD's/et. al.), so that cost isn't factoring into the equation :)

--Robert

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
DIY makes you one with your car. :D

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Mobil 1 5w30 is fine if you wanna keep to regular oil change intervals and don't go to the track much. It is a true Group 4 synthetic oil. Their are better choices in the same price range Castrol syntec 0w30 (GERMAN made avail. at autozone) for an extra $6 total ($5.95 qt.) you can get AMSoil 5w30 at Murrys in Glen Ellyn. But Mobil 1 is fine. I'm not looking for Mobil 1 debate. It is a good oil their are just other choices too.

·
Ahhh have the need fer speed.
2,271 Posts
Hello everyone, just picked up my 04 Blk/Blk M-6, I want to change my oil at aroound 1k, I have ACDelco Ultraguard Gold UPF44 filters(Part #25329389) from a former 03 Z06, are these the same items as with our engines, can I use them, Thanks for the help! Jordan

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Yes, all LS1's/LS6's use the same filter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts