LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 M6 has been losing some pressure in the hydraulic clutch, I took it to the dealer, and as always they "couldnt reproduce the problem" :mad: after driving 100 feet around the building I know this is the approximate distance since there were no extra miles on to the odometer.
So rather than put myself through dealing with these service idiots anymore, I just want to replace this system with some type of more precise cabled one (I've hated these hydraulic pieces of shit since my 92 Beretta anyway).

Performance Inc. replied to my emailed question on this by stating it wasn't possible to do, which I think is total crap, so the questions I have for y'all are:

What parts/kits are available & which are the best?
How easy will it be to replace if I try to do it myself?
Will the tranny need to be droppped/will the clutch fork have to be replaced?

Any help will be appreciated!

·
Frantically Modding
4,458 Posts
ArPharazon said:
My 05 M6 has been losing some pressure in the hydraulic clutch, I took it to the dealer, and as always they "couldnt reproduce the problem" :mad: after driving 100 feet around the building I know this is the approximate distance since there were no extra miles on to the odometer.
So rather than put myself through dealing with these service idiots anymore, I just want to replace this system with some type of more precise cabled one (I've hated these hydraulic pieces of shit since my 92 Beretta anyway).

Performance Inc. replied to my emailed question on this by stating it wasn't possible to do, which I think is total crap, so the questions I have for y'all are:

What parts/kits are available & which are the best?
How easy will it be to replace if I try to do it myself?
Will the tranny need to be droppped/will the clutch fork have to be replaced?

Any help will be appreciated!
Im not so sure the optimal solution for these cars isnt just a good slave to replace the factory unit. With good lines as well.

·
1 of 262
10,358 Posts
A cable/linkage clutch can be done, but it's a custom fabrication and will need to be done by a very competent race shop for big dollars. Have you tried replacing/bleeding with a good DOT 4 the fluid?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where do you bleed this system from?
Also, I'm thinking it might be a seal related problem since it isn't 100% consistent.
Are the seals replaceable or would I need to replace the entire unit?

·
Might wanna knock first...
4,355 Posts
ArPharazon said:
My 05 M6 has been losing some pressure in the hydraulic clutch
Well you need to explain what this ^ means.

My clutch will occasionally half-engage during high rev down shifts...most notably 3rd gear, 60mph range. Has happened maybe 3 times in 16,000 miles. Feels like a spongy pedal.

Stinky, stinky clutch smell afterwards...

The bleeder 'screw' is an 11mm and lives in the hole just above where the hydraulic line runs to the slave cyl, on the driver's side.

When bleeding, you can only crack it open maybe 3 times at the most...our clutch master cyl holds about a teaspoon of fluid :banghead: so you need to top it off frequently...good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Enginerd said:
Well you need to explain what this ^ means.
In the year (and only 5,500 miles) since I bought it, the clutch would disengage with the pedal about halfway down. Recently (and fairly suddenly) the pedal needs to be almost to the floor. It tends to get worse as I go, say, during the 13 mile trip to work. I stop & go a hell of a lot from west of Gurnee (IL) to North Chicago, so there's a lot of clutch pedal action goin' on.
Someone suggested pushing the pedal all the way to the floor then letting it snap back up to "reset" it, and this seems to work, but only for a short time.
The fluid level is unchanged, so that would seem to discount a worn clutch or a leak of any kind.
If this hydraulic clutch system is anything like a master brake cyclinder (with it's 2 or 3 tapered rubber seals along the shaft), I think it could be that one or more of those seals is bad/blown and unable to maintain the necessary pressure (I haven't seen a diagram of this thing, so I don't know exactly what it looks like).
No burning smell when I have this problem, though I do know that smell.

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
I would get the dealer to flush the system first. Mine acted just like your discribing yours and a fluid swap fixed it. Mine had assembly lube in the fluid.

·
Administrator
9,543 Posts
A sudden change in pedal feel usually indicates a failing hydraulic cylinder. Normal air intrusion is usually gradual and happens over time.
However, if you have never had the system bled or flushed you should start there, I'm sure if you look at the reservoir the fluid will be very dark and crappy looking as they all are before that first flush. A thorough bleed/flush may be all it needs.
When I first got my car it had about 5K on it and the pedal felt somewhat inconsistent and not quite as firm as I thought it should be. After I changed the fluid and bled it completely there was a huge improvement, the pedal was much firmer and shifting felt better too.
After bleeding the system the usual way, I had to finish off the bleeding with the alternate procedure in the manual to get the last bit of air out, this consists of pumping the pedal very rapidly for 30 seconds, then waiting a while and repeating. When I did this I could actually see the air bubbles coming up through the fluid in the reservoir. I continued until there were no more bubbles. That was months ago and since then the pedal has felt the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts