LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So i'm considering upgrading the turbo. check this unit out https://turbo4less.com/product/cast-7875-t4-1-25-special-build/

That will free up back pressure and I'll redo the exhaust at once. I was looking for 4" oval pipe but did not have any luck yet. I may have to get the plasma cutter to my frame and make a channel to fit 4" pipe. Or I could settle with the 3.5" oval I have now and cut the 3" section off and go better there. I may consider doing a cutout but I dont like them. They leak. hold tight....I'll post a pic of what I have now....

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'M SURPRISED no one has commented on how the 4l60e is holding up to the abuse i'm putting it through.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here’s what I have now. Not really any good spot to put a cutout. I’d want exhaust to not exit under the car, I don’t want it stinking.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok. I’ve been thinking and trying to decide what I’m gonna do. I’ve finally locked in what I’m doing. So in that front pipe you can see where it goes from 3.5” to 3”. Right there I’m cutting it and replacing the 3” with 3.5”. Then I’m getting a borla 2 inlet and 2 outlet muffler. 2.5 inch pipes. I’m going to Y it into the muffler. Before one side of the muffler will be a electric cutout valve, when closed it will divert the exhaust through one side of the muffler. The other side of the muffler will have a straight pipe going through it. So basically it’ll be bypassing the muffler. Then after the muffler it will Y back together into a 3.5” tail pipe.

after typing this out I realized something. The engine will be breathing through a 2.5” muffler and for me to have decent power I’ll have to open the cutout. I’m not sure if I’m ok with that. Borla doesn’t make a dual 3” inlet and outlet muffler. Magnaflow does but I don’t like the sound of magnaflow. Maybe I can find a round muffler that will fit and just bypass around it. Damnit, I thought I had this figured out.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Alright, I know this is going to be disappointing, but I havent done anything yet. I've changed my mind several times because I never could find exactly the muffler I needed. I need a straight through, dual inlet/outlet 3" muffler. Easy to find in 2.5" but that would be too restrictive. The reason is, I'm going to slide a piece of 3" pipe all the way through the muffler on one side to bypass the perforated core. I had decided to just build my own muffler, but then I found a Flowmaster (flowmonster) dual 3" in/out that is straight through in stainless. Exactly what I needed and the price was super cheap at $85. Tracking shows that to be coming in tomorrow. I have the cutout too but I havent ordered the billet buttons to open close yet.

So basically i'm sticking to my plan. single 3.5" then Y into the muffler but a cutout on the straight through side of the muffler, then Y back into 3.5" tailpipe. I think when it done, its going to be pretty slick.

·
Registered Winner
7,342 Posts
Everything is hunky dory until your e-cutout takes a shit and you’re stuck running it open until you can get the car back on a lift. Probably easy enough for a dude like you, but that’s why I always shied away from them.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Everything is hunky dory until your e-cutout takes a shit and you’re stuck running it open until you can get the car back on a lift. Probably easy enough for a dude like you, but that’s why I always shied away from them.
I agree. However I’m doing a few things to counter this. First off my buddy bought a pair of granatelli cutouts ($350) and I got one from him. Brand new. Much higher quality than the China one. The screws are usually the problem falling out of the blade, the ends of the threads are smashed to stop that. Also the way I’m going to mount it, will be easily swapable. Very easy. This cutout has an electronic controller that does the opening snd closing so the load on it is completely reduced when it’s full open or closed.

also. One big issue is they leak and you can hear them. That’s why I’m tying it right back into the tailpipe. You’ll never hear anything. If it goes out and gets stuck, any which way, I can always fix it.
I had an exhaust like this on my 3rd gen camaro years ago. After several exhaust systems, it was my end all. I loved it and I could never have made it any better. This one tho, I have been thinking I might should have gone with 4” but it’s too late now.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts