LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My goals were more air and no extra noise. So I wanted to keep the factory air box in tact. I did hog out the intake portion below the air filter and I also removed the internal horn in the lid so it just opens right into the MAF with no obstructions. It has a K&N air filter. The MAF is a Z06 Corvette unit with the screen gone. It is larger than the stock GTO MAF. The tube is from LS1 Speed, I ordered it from tbyrne without the cone filter. I ported and polished my throttle body and also adjusted my throttle stop and bypassed the coolant. It sounds very close to original and the power feels noticeable better. Here are some photos.

·
HOTROD HANDYMAN
434 Posts
1COOLPC said:
My goals were more air and no extra noise. So I wanted to keep the factory air box in tact. I did hog out the intake portion below the air filter and I also removed the internal horn in the lid so it just opens right into the MAF with no obstructions. It has a K&N air filter. The MAF is a Z06 Corvette unit with the screen gone. It is larger than the stock GTO MAF. The tube is from LS1 Speed, I ordered it from tbyrne without the cone filter. I ported and polished my throttle body and also adjusted my throttle stop and bypassed the coolant. It sounds very close to original and the power feels noticeable better. Here are some photos.

:thumbs: Looks great! How much was the tube seperately?

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Superwildcat said:
:thumbs: Looks great! How much was the tube seperately?
$120.00

·
Registered
593 Posts
I am very impressed. Looks just right. The photos and description are very helpful. Hope you get a chance to quantify the performance increase.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Looks great. Good job.
:drink: :drink:

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JRM346 said:
I am very impressed. Looks just right. The photos and description are very helpful. Hope you get a chance to quantify the performance increase.
Thanks, to everybody. I wish I could have got a dyno done before the mods. I'm pretty anal about making sure things create power. These similar mods gave me 15 or so on my 2002 Z28 and I followed pretty much the same game plan. I had an appointement for a pre-dyno but I had a leaking freeze plug that had to be handled so I didn't want to go for a long drive and do the heavy load of the dyno until it is corrected. I will be doing a dyno as soon as I can but I guess it won't tell us much.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
So, does that mean the tube would fit using the stock air box, filter and MAF?
Dan

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DANSLS1 said:
So, does that mean the tube would fit using the stock air box, filter and MAF?
Dan
Yes, I had to make one very small modification and that was to make a cut on the band saw. I cut the air tube where it meets the throttle body just slightly at an angle because with the stock air box it does not fit flush, the angle is just slight wrong, 5-7 degrees maybe. It was snug flat on the side nearest the airfilter and about 5/8" away from the throttlebody on the far side. So I sliced a bit off and made it sit flush. It would work just fine without the cut if you are OK with the gap. The rubber sleeve will cover the gap easily. I'm just anal, things bug me if I don't do them perfectly.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
1COOLPC said:
The MAF is a Z06 Corvette unit with the screen gone.
What is the risk of "descreening" your MAF? I had a Corvette owner suggest that I remove the screen to gain "1 or 2 HP". For such a small gain, any risk at all would offset the "descreening".

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
cool, you said you hogged out the intake below the filter. How about some pictures. I like the look bty.

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
Absolutely Awesome!

Great job. I was making the project to convoluted by trying to do it with the stock MAF with a reducing coupling on the LS1 Speed tube side, but I couldn't get the aligment proper - which would have caused turbulence. Didn't even think of using the Z06 MAF and the cut at the throttle body end.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Are you concerned about the effect of flexing the pipe / box / etc with engine torque. There's no "give" in that setup.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mistermike said:
Are you concerned about the effect of flexing the pipe / box / etc with engine torque. There's no "give" in that setup.
The give takes place twice. The rubber coupler between the MAF and air box has some flex and the air box is actually very loose on our cars and will move with the motor. I've really revved it and everthing is fine.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FLORIT said:
What is the risk of "descreening" your MAF? I had a Corvette owner suggest that I remove the screen to gain "1 or 2 HP". For such a small gain, any risk at all would offset the "descreening".
I've had 3 LS1 cars and 2 LT1 cars and have not a screen on one of them. No problems. I've never actually heard of a single person that has damaged their MAF by descreening it. It's common practice.

mlc said:
cool, you said you hogged out the intake below the filter. How about some pictures. I like the look bty.
Eek, kind of hard to get apart. I should have taken some. Next time I have to remove anything I will snap a picture and send you a message. Basically, if you look down into the box you see a circular hole and a shallow tube extending into the air box. I but this tube off so that it was just two circular holes meeting up. Then I cut the hole bigger, as big as the space where both surfaces met each other. It's sort of a rounded triangle shape. Probably twice the size of the original hole.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
The Aussies are old hands at this stuff.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mistermike said:
The Aussies are old hands at this stuff.
Neat. that's sort of what I did. My hole looks like this;

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Aside from the little louvers on the top of the radiator cover, are there other means of ingress for the cold air? I wonder what the total cross-sectional area of inlet(s) is. I haven't taken mine apart yet.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mistermike said:
Aside from the little louvers on the top of the radiator cover, are there other means of ingress for the cold air? I wonder what the total cross-sectional area of inlet(s) is. I haven't taken mine apart yet.
A very thin and wide cold air intake could fit between the radiator core support and the hood. You could get an air filter into the area behind the 2 grills. The MAF would have to be pushed snug against the throttle body for this to work and even then the MAF might interfere with the hood. I think it would work. Wish I had a plastic manufacturing facility at my disposal.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Sorry, 1Cool, I was referring to the existing setup. All I can see for an inlet to the chamber that leads to the air box are the little louvers on top. I was wondering if there was also other inlets into that same area.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mistermike said:
Sorry, 1Cool, I was referring to the existing setup. All I can see for an inlet to the chamber that leads to the air box are the little louvers on top. I was wondering if there was also other inlets into that same area.
It gets cold air from the giant cavity between the radiator and the front of the car. It has a very short path and has tons of air.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts