LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I don't have a fancy garage with lifts or anything but I have a jack, 4 jack stands amd a bit of determination. I slid the trans under the car last night and lifted it on the trans jack. I should have her in by today or tomorrow. I'll attach all the lines before making the final bolt down to then bleed her and have her ready for the wheels which I'll pick up this coming Monday. Shops fell behind a week on the wheels because their baking machine went down. But here are a few pics of what was accomplished last night.
Tire Automotive tire Asphalt Motor vehicle Vehicle
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
13,041 Posts
a real man can do that trasns swap on the side of the road with just a bottle jack and an adjustable wrench. (or so I read once on this forum many many a moon ago, thought it was stupid then too)

How it going and is that a crate rebuild or did you do something to it - the transmission that is?

Good luck.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
a real man can do that trasns swap on the side of the road with just a bottle jack and an adjustable wrench. (or so I read once on this forum many many a moon ago, thought it was stupid then too)

How it going and is that a crate rebuild or did you do something to it - the transmission that is?

Good luck.
Well it was leaking and I broke the shifter ball. So I took the opportunity broke it down and it was a debacle in there. So I did a stage 2 from the gearbox with bearings and seals. Took it to a local shop tonpress the bearing because I dontnhave that equipment and friends and YouTube help me get it done. Also changed out the countershaft because had some broken pieces off it and replaced the 1st gear.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
13,041 Posts
damn. last time I did an automatic overhaul I was in college - in a lab - goofing around with one of our demo models. when the seals of my 4L60E started to weep I called a local shop and was looking at places to do the trade out when I got in an accident that totaled Gwendolyn. (my gto yes all cars are named and yes they are all female)

Now that said I need to tune fanny. (F150 - I also call her fiona since people get upset with fanny, and the kiddos call her big red)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
And she's in. It was giving me a hard time so I got her lined up. I then pushed the front shaft into the clutch and moved to the back shaft to see if I was able to turn it by hand using a set of pliars. When it stopped I figured that the teeth where lined up. Since I couldn't slide it in by hand I used a wratchet strap and wala. Tightened the strap until I couldn't tighten it any more. Moved the trans a bit and she slid in. Tomorrow starts the button down filling and bleeding process .
Brown Automotive tire Wood Grey Gas
Brown Grey Tints and shades Automotive design Pattern

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,858 Posts
A thing that helps with lining the trans up is to jack the front of the motor up a bit so that it leans back more. Basically, the motor doesn't lean back as much as it once did with the trans hanging off of it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A thing that helps with lining the trans up is to jack the front of the motor up a bit so that it leans back more. Basically, the motor doesn't lean back as much as it once did with the trans hanging off of it.
I was thinking about that but in my ignorance I thought it give it a weird angle. But alls well that ends well. Everything I was looking up on youtube was of people taking one or two days to get to this point because of the shaft not lighting up. I literally had this whole weekend set a side to try and install this thing. Now what the hell ima gonna do with all this extra time. 😂

·
GR-RRR!
8,557 Posts
For me, once lined up (and thank the gods for that HF tilt/pivot trans jack!) the biggest PITA was getting the trans to seat on the locating pins. They fit snug! Using the bolts to pull the trans in that last little bit is fine as long as you turn the bolts a little at a time moving side to side often during the process.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For me, once lined up (and thank the gods for that HF tilt/pivot trans jack!) the biggest PITA was getting the trans to seat on the locating pins. They fit snug! Using the bolts to pull the trans in that last little bit is fine as long as you turn the bolts a little at a time moving side to side often during the process.
I dabbed them with just a bit of grease. That way they slide in a bit easier. I'm trying to make sure that all I'm using the bolts for is fastening. I cant pick up the wheels till Momday anyways so the car won't be on the road till next week at the earliest. Gonna take my time and make sure everything is done slow and easy.
Good looking out.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And done filling and bleeding gets done tomorrow and on Monday should be on the road. It took me 20 min to get her butted up completely. What took most of the time was getting the right angle on the trans jack and she slipped right in. This is the most work Ive done on a vehicle since my Vette. 👊🏻
Automotive tire Wood Grey Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Circle

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats the key. Getting the right angle, and in she goes. Using a friction disc locator helps a lot too. I've pulled my trans more times than I remember. Getting the angle right used to be a problem. Today, its dropping the exhaust. :cool:

BTW, aren't those Sikky shifters nice!
My opinion it worth the money. Excellent craftsmanship, great materials, tight, and really short throws. I'm mating a Lous short stick to it as it was recmended on here and it's going to be a really short shifter. I can't wait to get her on the road and see how it shifts.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My opinion it worth the money. Excellent craftsmanship, great materials, tight, and really short throws. I'm mating a Lous short stick to it as it was recmended on here and it's going to be a really short shifter. I can't wait to get her on the road and see how it shifts.
Yea, let us know about Lou's short shift. I'm thinking about it for my Sikky. I have a Hurst lever with an Indy ball so the OE knob isn't important. But, I would like to shorten the shift and keep my hand out of the ash tray!

·
GR-RRR!
8,557 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Need to nutsert those holes while you are there. Beats getting under the car and fitting with those bolts.

View attachment 521064
I can grab those at ace or true value right? And yours look so damn pretty.
Man now I'm gonna have to hammer down that lip wipe down and repaint that area. Damn it. 😂

By the way there was nothing in those holes when I took the center console off.

·
GR-RRR!
8,557 Posts
I can grab those at ace or true value right? And yours look so damn pretty.
Man now I'm gonna have to hammer down that lip wipe down and repaint that area. Damn it. 😂

By the way there was nothing in those holes when I took the center console off.
Should be a metal retainer and a white rubber boot in it. Like the one in the top right of this picture.

Product Automotive lighting Gas Adapter Technology

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Should be a metal retainer and a white rubber boot in it. Like the one in the top right of this picture.

View attachment 521065
There wasn't a retainer or boot when I removed the center console. The open area between the shifter and console was stuffed with what looked like pieces of cut up wool scarfs to deaden the noise lol. I have a boot on the way.

Edit: Sorry there where remnants of a boot. 😂

1 - 20 of 32 Posts