LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone whats up. im a complete newb to the gto world, ls series engine world, pontiac world. i have owned all chrysler vehicles and am ready to finally step up to some real powerful vehicles. the lease on my crossfire is up in about six months so i am researching the gto, i made my mind up that its the car i want to own.

so i know this topic has probably been covered numerous times, but the searches i performed came up with threads that were a year old and i was hopeing for some updated opinions. right now im on the fence, im not sure which year to purchase. i know the ls1 is less powerful, smaller brakes, and no drive by wire, as well as having a smaller motor, but has a huge aftermarket. the 05, 06 have a growing aftermarket, but is the difference in price worth the jump? i can pick up a 04 with 15k miles or less for about 19k, or an 05 with 15k miles or less for 22k. its a small difference, but still enough to make me think.

the only question i have is, i guess, whats the n.a. ceiling for power on both motors with a head/cam combo? is there a huge difference in potential. i plan on using as aggressive of a cam as i can for a daily driver that logs 30k miles a year. but if the 04 can make 450whp with a h/c combo, and the 05 makes 475whp, i would just go with the 04 and save the 3k in purchase price, wouldnt mind losing the 25whp. thanks in advance.

mike

by the way, dodgers :ftw:

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
there is little to no difference in the aftermarket between the ls1 or 2. Most stuff works on either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok. if i put 4k into a h/c combo though, what kind of power differencial would i see from the two motors?

·
Fly Fast, Turn Left
512 Posts
Not much. 14 cubic inches, and a larger TB is about all that would differentiate the two after a head/cam swap. ( maybe CR too, cant remember)The LS2 heads are essentially the same ones that were used on the LS6, a 5.7L motor. That thing produced 405HP with the displacement disadvantage. vs 400 for the LS2. Either platform will make stunning HP with a little work.

·
Suck a turd!
359 Posts
brakes, hood scoops, dual exhaust from factory, slightly faster motor for front seats compared to 04s, LS1 vs LS2 (You already know that), few other minor differences.......

To me, when i was buying my GTO, it was worth getting the LS2. In future after a maggie and headers/cam/exhaust/intake, i don't plan to do much more engine wise......

It comes down to personal preference.

Rob

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,958 Posts
I think LS1's are still easier to tune. and if you are getting an A4 the tranny is tunable.

All the other stuff is modable. Hell difference in price alone will fix any brake and appearance issue you might have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to be honest i could care less about appearance, thats not an issue. either are brakes, im not going to going to buttonwillow anytime soon, and i doubt most people do. im getting a manual, so thats also a non issue. all im really worried about is the power potential of the motors with n/a mods, and how much more power the ls2 would make with 4k, and how much the ls1 would make with 4k.

thanks for all the input guys!!

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
dollar for dollar you won't beat the extra cubes. A little better power band as well. But when your talking the 550+ rwhp range is a few more or less gonna matter. and as far as tuning goes both can be done easily.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im looking more in the 420-460whp range, is that doable n/a with a h/c on a daily driver with the ls1 for 3-4k.

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
x'ed said:
im looking more in the 420-460whp range, is that doable n/a with a h/c on a daily driver with the ls1 for 3-4k.
It is doable. :) ...especially if you can save on labor costs. I have spent slightly more them that though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
your setup looks perfect. how much did you spend excluding labor. i got a guy who will work for beer.

btw, your exhaust is pure sex!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts