LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the ballasts for an HID system emit much heat? I was having issues with my ballasts grounding themselves on whatever metal was near so I came up with what I hope is a solution tonight.

I went to Home Depot and bought some foam pipe insulation, water resistant duct tape, and some industrial strength velcro. I cut pieces of the pipe insulation to secure to the bottom and 3 sides of the ballast. Then duct taped over the exposed seams to keep water out. I used the velcro to mount the ballasts where they'd fit. With the bottom and 3 sides of the ballasts covered, I just wonder if they'll be too insulated and overheat. The top is not covered except from duct tape I used to cover the edge of the insulation.

I found another post where a guy said neither the bulbs nor the ballasts radiate much heat at all. Just wanted to get some more opinions.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Hey,

The bulbs give off heat but not as much as stock. They are 20w less each so that leaves you with 35w which will still be warm. The ballasts don't seem to emmit too much heat so I decided to mount them on a platform to keep them away from any puddling water in the engine bay up front behind the lights or from grounding. Take a look through this whole thread and see my troubles and what I did to fix them.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6687&highlight=hid+ballast

Brad

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I printed those pictures up yesterday and headed to Home Depot. Apparently it's against Cook County building code to use plastic in electrical boxes so they can't carry those. :( Had to improvise. It's raining like a MF'er here today so we'll see right away if what I did worked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts