LS1GTO.com Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Since the 55w is much brighter, it does very slightly wash out the colour of a bulb. I'm of the opinion that you won't get a closer match by using a higher colour lowbeam if you have a 55w low and 35w fog, for instance matching a 10K 55w lowbeam to get it to go with an 8K 35w fog wouldn't match better than getting both sets 8000K. I doubt you'll even notice the difference to be honest. As for 5000K, there isn't any colour to wash out, so it just gets brighter, so definitely no issues there.

The 6000K have a slight touch of blue, not a lot, I don't think it would look ricey.

Just so everyone is aware, if you order a colour and aren't happy with it, I will offer a free bulb exchange within the first 15 days. You just have to pay the shipping both ways, which is usually ~$15.
Ok so probably the best way to go is to achieve a slight hint of blue is the 6000k 55 lows and 35 fogs and the difference will be hardly noticeable. thanks thats good to know.

I have heard people matching the high beams with a hoen bulb as well. Anyone have experience with that?

Also good to know about the bulb swap that is an added bonus.

·
GTO Fanatic
205 Posts
So it is recomended to use 35w hid's for the fogs? Because it will burn the housing?

and do we need the accessory harness for just the 55w?
if we get fogs as well should we get another accessory harness?

·
Registered
100 Posts
So it is recomended to use 35w hid's for the fogs? Because it will burn the housing?

and do we need the accessory harness for just the 55w?
if we get fogs as well should we get another accessory harness?
yeah too much heat for the fog housings to run 55w

yeah the harness is so you don't melt your factory wiring/relays.
the draw when you turn on the lights is very high. with the harness you draw power directly from the battery. There are a couple threads that talk about this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bought me some 35w 5ks for my foggies today.. site is easy to use and match up bulbs with car... waiting to see how service goes. Thanks
if all goes well may replace my current hid lows from 6k to 5k also.
but seriously gtfo my gto

·
Time to break into the 12's..
399 Posts
Just ordered my 55w 6000k's! Cant wait!!

·
Original Owners & 100K Club
801 Posts
is the 55w kit $120 WITH harness? or would it be 140?

·
399 Posts
Quick question,The kit and harness are completely plug and play correct, im not gonna have to splice, cut or drill anything to get it to work? And i was wondering what everyone else has color wise for the fogs, I was thinkin of goin with 5000k for that but (my lows are 6000k and my car is torrid red) and was wondering if anyone has any opinons on what matches good and what not. thanks!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The kit is completely plug and play, with one caveat. You need to drill about a one inch hole in the back your dust cap on the headlight, this is where the wires for the bulb/power go through. The kit has a rubber grommet that will seal that hole nicely however.

As for the colour, unless you're going with a 3000K in the fogs, I say match them with the headlights.

·
399 Posts
I figured i would have to modify that cap somehow, thanks for your help. I will be ordering the 35w kit from your site within the next 2-3 weeks

·
399 Posts
Just received my ddm 55w kit today and everything looks great i cant wait to get it installed. Shipping was fast too! Also when i do order my 35w kit for the fogs am i gonna also need to purchase a separate accessory harness for that as well or is the one i have for my 55w low kit sufficient?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
You shouldn't need to use a harness with the fogs, you can always give it a go without on and then add it in later if you find you are having trouble.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The kit is completely plug and play, with one caveat. You need to drill about a one inch hole in the back your dust cap on the headlight, this is where the wires for the bulb/power go through. The kit has a rubber grommet that will seal that hole nicely however.

As for the colour, unless you're going with a 3000K in the fogs, I say match them with the headlights.
yeah thats the only discourging thing that you have to cut the dust caps... kinda sucks if you ever wanted to go back to original. I wonder if you could get some from GM or something...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I remember someone reporting a while ago that it was something like a $15 part from the dealer. Never verified, so take the info with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I recieved my kit last week but didn't have the chance to do the install to probably today or tomorrow.... I looked at my harness and it has 2 male plugs and only 1 female plug, Do I have the right harness? I am just wondering where thse three plugs plug into? Any of you all that have installed these can you please fill me in on this, cause looking at the possibilities I see the 2 bulb plugs in the headlight assembly and the 2 for the ballasts? 4vs3 leaves me with a free plug that hasn't been plugged into I can find the places to bolt in the circle pieces for the ground and power but if anyone can fill me in I would greatly appreciate it! Also Gremlyn's Garage I left a message on your machine.

Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The harness has had a design change, and one of the connectors has been eliminated, so there should only be three now.

Two of the connectors on the harness provide power to the ballasts, and two on the old harness took power from the stock headlight connector to the relay, and would switch it on and off. One of those two that connected to the relay switch has been removed; it was redundant and served no purpose, other than to put the cost of the harness up (which is why the harnesses are now cheaper). We also found that on a small number of harnesses that one of the two connectors would be wired backwards and cause fuse-blowing havoc.

So you should have two connectors running to the light on the same side as the battery, and only one running to the other headlight. There will be a couple of extra wires coming from the bulb on the side with one connector, just don't connect them to anything and zip-tie them out of the way.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just need to plug that wire that goes to the passenger side into the ballast correct? and the two little wires to the correct fitment and the wire connector inside the headlight housing on the passenger side just don't connect it.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.