LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried tuning their GTO like Holden's HSV group (www.hsv.com.au) has tuned the LS1?
285kW is 380HP. If another 30HP is available with a new tune, knock sensors and air box, I'd be all over it (the engine seems otherwise identical to our LS1 including the 10.1:1 compression ratio).

Has anyone been able to find sites posting ECM tunes for the GTO and/or Monaro?

Engine - 285kW (292kW DIN)

- HSV 5.7 litre LS1 V8 with Aluminum block and heads
- HSV 285kW (292kW DIN) @5800 rpm
- 510Nm @ 4800 rpm (PULP)
- 285kW revised Y series 2 engine calibration for improved launch mid-range power and torque.
Knock sensors enable engine to run on ULP Sequential multi-point port fuel injection, cast steel roller rocker arms, roller cam followers, eight coil pack ignition, cross-bolted five main bearings 6 bolts per bearing cap.
- HSV tuned stainless steel exhaust system
- Big bore 63 mm dual exhaust system
- HSV high flow alloy Sports twin exhaust outlet

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
I know there is some hidden hp available with just a tune only. So 30 hp with
the airbox and knock sensors should be a piece of cake. People up here are basically already doing this, just not using hsv. I'm not sure about the knock sensors though.
I swapped a knock module out on my 97Z with an LT1, but I'm not aware of this for the LS1, or if this is even the same thing.

·
SS Downunder
3 Posts
HSV tune

Wouldnt bother with an HSV tune, its been tried in Aussie with only minor gains. Your better off with a proper edit.

·
Registered
202 Posts
its quite mild actually it only makes 25fwkw including headers, cold air set up, headers and a better exhaust set up. My Commodore jumped from 202rwkw to 230rwkw from going from the factory HSV Clubsport PCM tune to a good edit. You'd probably find it would run to much advance for your gas anyway because the HSV PCM doesnt run a 91 octane table it runs a 95 octane table.

·
2002 Phantom HSV GTO
39 Posts
I agree if you going to get a tune, get one done for your car.

lumina are you referring to the GTS calibration only ? i havent checked out the latest vy hsv cals but all the previous models run high and low octane maps

·
Registered
202 Posts
no I was just showing my ignorance like usual, the standard ss tune runs 2 low octane maps and the hsv clubsport runs a low and a high, it happens some time.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Lumina ss said:
You'd probably find it would run to much advance for your gas anyway because the HSV PCM doesnt run a 91 octane table it runs a 95 octane table.

Not so. Oz fuel is rated using a different scale - RON, vs MON for US fuel. Our 91 octane ~ your 87, which is what the stock LS1 is tuned for and Holden recommends. Our 96/98 is basically similar to your 91. So a HSV would have to run on your 91. The low octane table is included in case you get a batch of bad fuel. You'll find just switching to higher octane fuel will result in an almost unnoticable difference. You need to change the A/F ratio with a good edit to achieve change, which is possible because the stock setup is very conservative i.e. runs rich. What the Clubsport tune misses is the lean cruise mode at low throttle/rpm settings. Many tuners here use the Clubby as a starting point, then add the lean burn and tweak to optimise.

Remember, even HSV doesn't dyno tune to take account of minor differences in engines - they just upgrade the PCM to a 'standard' which may or may not be right. This then requires premium unleaded to avoid poor perfromance via the low-octane table. Some people complain this can cause pinging due to being unoptimised.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not the LS6 (LS6 has a higher compression ratio than this), but seems to have quite a few other mods to get to the 400HP, including ported heads:
Engine - 300kW (307kW DIN)

- HSV 5.7 litre LS1 V8 with aluminium block and heads
- Bore/Stroke: 99.0mm x 92.0mm
- Displacement: 5665cc
- Compression Ratio: 9.95:1
- Power: 300kW (307kW DIN) @ 6000rpm
- Torque: 510Nm @ 4800rpm
- HSV C4B engine configuration with:
*HSV high performance CNC ported heads with C4B ovoid section valve springs
*HSV titanium valve spring retainers and specific valves
*HSV big bore CNC Billet machined 78mm capacity red throttle body & matching engine covers
- HSV tuned exhaust system:
*Stainless steel exhaust extractors/headers
*High capacity, low back pressure 1.8 litre catalytic converters
*Low back pressure intermediate & high volume rear muffler with tuned exhaust note
*Big bore 57mm dual exhaust system
- Sequential multi-point port fuel injection
- Cast steel roller rocker arms, roller cam followers
- Eight coil pack ignition
- HSV high volume Double D exhaust outlet
- Cross-bolted five main bearings 6 bolts per bearing cap
- Recommended Petrol Octane Level:
*Premium unleaded petrol (95RON)
**NB: Satisfactory performance achieved using unleaded petrol

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
sarjx1 said:
It's not the LS6 (LS6 has a higher compression ratio than this), but seems to have quite a few other mods to get to the 400HP, including ported heads:
Engine - 300kW (307kW DIN)

- HSV 5.7 litre LS1 V8 with aluminium block and heads
- Compression Ratio: 9.95:1
- Power: 300kW (307kW DIN) @ 6000rpm
- Torque: 510Nm @ 4800rpm
- HSV C4B engine configuration with:
*HSV big bore CNC Billet machined 78mm capacity red throttle body & matching engine covers
- HSV tuned exhaust system:
*Low back pressure intermediate & high volume rear muffler with tuned exhaust note
- Sequential multi-point port fuel injection
- Cast steel roller rocker arms, roller cam followers
- Eight coil pack ignition
- HSV high volume Double D exhaust outlet
- Cross-bolted five main bearings 6 bolts per bearing cap
- Recommended Petrol Octane Level:
*Premium unleaded petrol (95RON)
**NB: Satisfactory performance achieved using unleaded petrol
You can get all of that and more here in the States. Just remove the "HSV" from all those parts. The aftermarket for the LS1 has been hot here since 1998 when they were in F-Body.

HSV 5.7 litre LS1 V8 with aluminium block and heads
That's standard issue LS1 from the States. Not an "HSV". Acutally it's assembled in Canada since 1997.

Compression Ratio: 9.95:1
Stock compression is 10.25:1 - 10.5:1 and most people doing heads and cam upgrades (as is the case with this "HSV"), we bump UP the compression, not REDUCE it!

HSV C4B engine configuration with:
Once again, these are not HSV specific parts. These are GM castings that are "worked" by either GM (the LS6 heads) or many aftermarket suppliers including Patriot, AFR, GTP, etc. The TB is not HSV specific but rather another aftermarket one that we can all go buy ourselves.

HSV tuned exhaust system:
Not an HSV exclusive. Once again, we have as much if not more aftermarket support here and their system is probably made by one of ours anyway whether in whole or in pieces.

Sequential multi-point port fuel injection
Every GM engine since 1996 (OBDII compliance) has been SFI. This is not a "performance" specific thing.

Cast steel roller rocker arms, roller cam followers
Standard LS1 stuff

Eight coil pack ignition
More standard LS1 stuff. It's called "CNP" (Coil Near Plug). This design is used in many GM products and is becoming a common thing in the industry. I know Chrysler and Nissan use similar setups.

HSV high volume Double D exhaust outlet
Once again, a common thing on worked heads!

Cross-bolted five main bearings 6 bolts per bearing cap
Standard LS1 stuff.

·
Registered
522 Posts
strife said:
The HSV GTS engine is pretty much just a Callaway Head and Cam LS1
Yup. It has no MAF, a larger throttle body and re-tweaked PCM, and comes with louder 'zorst and tubular short headers, which many HSV guys here see, to change as they are nothing special.

That's it, there's your 400hp. Tuners here have got near-stock LS1s very close just with 2.5" pipes, MAFless and accessory intake (not really shown to make much diff but it helps at the top) and headers with a good edit. Unopened cars are up to around 340 rwhp.

Again, the HSV GTS is pretty good stock, but not changed that much from an LS1.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seems that the 400HP in Oz is helped by Callaway....although I didn't see any of the "special" parts on the Callaway site.

Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) in Australia
has announced the latest version of their high performance sedan. The car features a total performance approach consistent with the unique Callaway developed C4B engine fitted exclusively to the GTS model. Power output
will be 300 kW (400 hp) which will place the GTS in the same outright performance league as European rivals costing two to three times the price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts