1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FOR RELEASE: 2004-07-05

CONTACTS

Holden's Best Month In More Than 21 Years

Holden has rounded off the first half of 2004 with its best monthly sales result since December 1982 and leadership in the passenger and light truck segments.

Holden sold 17,502 vehicles during June led by its barnstorming light commercial range which reached an all-time high of 5354, now 38 per cent higher for the year to date than 2003.

Rodeo headed the charge with an all-time monthly record of 2553 sales, closely followed by 2216 Ute range sales.

Holden has now sold 88,381 vehicles during 2004, almost 2000 units higher than in 2003, for overall market share of 18.7 per cent behind Toyota at 21.3 per cent.

Holden Sales Director, Megan Stooke, said Holden’s first half result was pleasing given the fierce competitiveness of the marketplace.

Ms Stooke said Holden had been able to progressively build on its passenger car strengths with light commercial and all-wheel-drive capability.

She said Holden’s launch program for 2004 was all based in the second half, providing the drive for even stronger performances towards the end of the year.

"The market is running at record pace and everyone is working hard to ensure we have cars available for buyers," Ms Stooke said.

"Commodore had its strongest month for the year with 7746 sales and now leads its nearest large car rival by more than 5000 units or almost 15 per cent.

"Astra and Barina also had their best months for 2004 with 2756 and 646 sales respectively and Caprice completed a record first half. However, these sorts of records will need to keep falling to keep pace with the market for the rest of the year.

"Holden is currently forecasting 950,000 for the market although tariff reductions in January 2005 may have a dampening effect in the second half of 2004."

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
And I thought the introduction of the VT commodore couldn't be topped. Holden is the best performing division of general motors, they gain market share each year. They outsell Honda and Toyota the biggest car sellers in america. Holdens product is desirable, bottom line.

·
297kW User
1,928 Posts
GMH GTO said:
And I thought the introduction of the VT commodore couldn't be topped. Holden is the best performing division of general motors, they gain market share each year. They outsell Honda and Toyota the biggest car sellers in america. Holdens product is desirable, bottom line.
And should be introduced here to bolster GM's US brands in both niche and mainstream catagories. Ditto for Opels.

·
Registered
347 Posts
lead by 5000 units over falcon .... unless you counted cammary as their closest rival i think you might be a bit off here.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
how many camrys sold vs. dunnydores?

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
GMH GTO said:
how many camrys sold vs. dunnydores?
In June :
Commodore : 7466
Falcon : 6716
Camry : 4700
Mitsubishi Magna (Diamante) : ~ 4000

I am a died in the wool Holden fan, but I am smart enough to realise that the reason that the Commodore range is so good is because Ford Australia and Holden have such a strong competitive nature and each raises the bar higher with each new model.

The BA Falcon is a better allround car than the current Commodore, but I'm sure that the VZ Commodore will raise the bar again.

·
Registered
347 Posts
isszy i couldn't have said it better myself... however "go the falcon" :D . I think commadore has atleast one or 2 models of catchup to be ahed in all departments. however i couldn't agree more, we get fantastic car because each time we are bettering the other guy.
I think VZ will be good but VE will be amazing. I actually see ford making back the crown for a short term in the aussie market but only time will tell. holden re-tolling the plat is a big advatage to for ford at the moment.
Atleast the competition is close these days not like the days of nasser and the au falcon trying to kill it off for the mondao. You would think ford america would understand you carn't kill the falcon unless you never want thoughs sale in australia for a decade atleast. but bring on the close competition.

·
Registered
362 Posts
One of the reasons holden and ford outsell honda etc here, is that hondas large cars are price at a premium here. They can't get too much of a market share that way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here's the model sales breakdown ... interesting to compare this with some of the US brands ...

Model June Sales YTD Sales

Holden Adventra 177 1277
Holden Astra 2650 12767
Holden Astra Convertible 106 724
Holden Barina 646 3079
Holden Caprice 85 532
Holden Combo 127 692
Holden Commodore 7746 38510
Holden Cruze 277 1386
Holden Frontera
Holden Jackaroo 4 178
Holden Monaro 270 1162
Holden Rodeo 4X2 1450 6578
Holden Rodeo 4X4 1103 5577
Holden Statesman 360 1822
Holden Utility 4X2 2048 10279
Holden Utility 4X4 168 939
Holden Vectra (4 cyl) 66 775
Holden Vectra CDX 82 1258
Holden Vectra V6
Holden Zafira 137 846
TOTAL Holden 17502 88381

·
Registered
362 Posts
Adventura has been a weak spot for holden, recently they reduced the prices on both models by 4000 AUD

·
Registered
244 Posts
Honda a FWD and IMHO, there's still a hesitation in Australia for FWD in "large" cars - one reason Magna has great difficulty in Oz too.

mike

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
Odin said:
Adventura has been a weak spot for holden, recently they reduced the prices on both models by 4000 AUD
You ca now buy a V8 AWD Adventra for less than the similarly equipped V8 Berlina.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts