LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
60% of the time, everytime.
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So... i never really looked until today at lunch...

This is showing all kinds of metal wire fibers. also when you push on it, it just sinks in about 1-2 cm. Kinda scary. I'm ASSUMING GM will be replacing these tires as I bought these 'packaged' with the car from the dealership.

My main concern is I have a autocross tomorrow and I wanted to go get them replaced.

I forgot to take a pic of the left, but give it a 1000 miles and it will look the same. Very very thin and completely bald.

sorry for hugeness and quality, taken with my phone.

Attachments

·
GTO = Pontiac shenanigans
3,689 Posts
DAMN :The_Villa

·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Called the dealership (different from where purchased).

He said it will nto be a problem getting replacement tires. he even mentioned that since i bought these tires as part of the car, they should replace like for like, or cut me a check.

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
Eh...thats not too bad...:drink:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Agreed thats not from strut rub, strut rub occurs on the inner sidewall thats on the inner tread surface. To much negative camber or excessive toe-out.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
maaksel said:
So... i never really looked until today at lunch...

This is showing all kinds of metal wire fibers. also when you push on it, it just sinks in about 1-2 cm. Kinda scary. I'm ASSUMING GM will be replacing these tires as I bought these 'packaged' with the car from the dealership.

My main concern is I have a autocross tomorrow and I wanted to go get them replaced.

I forgot to take a pic of the left, but give it a 1000 miles and it will look the same. Very very thin and completely bald.

sorry for hugeness and quality, taken with my phone.

I know strut rub is a big topic here. But what you have is not strut rub. You have a combination of excess negative camber and toe. this problem is more common than strut rub

mike
dms

·
Smug 5.0 Asshole
2,524 Posts
dms said:
I know strut rub is a big topic here. But what you have is not strut rub. You have a combination of excess negative camber and toe. this problem is more common than strut rub

mike
dms
Mike, I've just discovered that I have this same issue, my tires look pretty much the same as the OP's. I'm taking it in to the dealer in the morning for them to look at it. I have to say that I'm pretty dismayed at having discovered this yesterday morning when I jacked the car up because I was about to change my brakepads in the front. I bought my '05 used with 9,100 miles on it, and the car now has 18,200. So, I've basically doubled the mileage. The tires were fine when I bought the car, and also there IS a shiny place on the strut where rubbing is evident.

I'm pretty much hoping the dealership is going to tell me to take a hike, because I've never had a car that I needed to take it in for an alignment after only 9,100 miles of ownership and it'd piss me off pretty bad to get told that this is somehow my fault.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
StormSigma said:
Mike, I've just discovered that I have this same issue, my tires look pretty much the same as the OP's. I'm taking it in to the dealer in the morning for them to look at it. I have to say that I'm pretty dismayed at having discovered this yesterday morning when I jacked the car up because I was about to change my brakepads in the front. I bought my '05 used with 9,100 miles on it, and the car now has 18,200. So, I've basically doubled the mileage. The tires were fine when I bought the car, and also there IS a shiny place on the strut where rubbing is evident.

I'm pretty much hoping the dealership is going to tell me to take a hike, because I've never had a car that I needed to take it in for an alignment after only 9,100 miles of ownership and it'd piss me off pretty bad to get told that this is somehow my fault.

It does not sound like you have rotated the tires. It is also possible they have never been rotated from the dealer as well. If you alignment was bad at the beginning, and they have been rotated every 6 k miles minimum, then your rears would also shoe evidence of problems as well

This kind of tire wear is also enhanced by "spirited" driving. The more spirit, the more wear. Only you know your driving habits. Also, keep your tire pressures at 35PSI cold. Make sure you get a copy of the alignment specs and list the before and after so we can see what they are and advise you.

mike
dms

·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the dealer pretty much said tough cookies.

Their assistant manager will present my 'case' to the regional manager and see if he can get anything taken care of.

So this is 100% alignment? Either way, I'm only lacking about 1500-2000 miles on an alignment, I had them aligned back at around 7k miles and i'm sitting about 300 shy of 14k.

There is solid evidence that the strut is being rubbed due to it having a near polished finish while the rest is dirty.

·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, when aligned and this issue STILL presists... what the hell do?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts