LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about turbos in general.

I want to build a simple, cheap, kit to add 100-200 hp to a LS2. $1,000-$2000 to spend.

1. If a turbo was designed to make, flow, 300HP, I.E. GNX or T-type, will it provide ANY boost to the 400HP LS2. Without flying apart of course.

2. What type, size is a GNX's turbo?

3. Can you think of a better unit to start with? These OEM turbos can be bought, rebuilt I think, for $650. I considered the 80 Trans Am turbo but it is the same unit in the 2.3 L mustang. 210 HP

4. Does it really matter about ball bearings? I've never heard of ANY turbo failing.

I've wanted a turbo V8 for years. I just put down $29,000 for the GTO, I really can't justify another $5,000 + fuel and tuning when I already have 400HP and am only looking for 100-200 more and that turbo SPOOL sound. Okay I'll settle for 100 HP more, until I get it paied off anyway. Thanks for input.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1. Yes it will flow over the turbo's said hp capacity, it will still push "X" amount of air, just may not be as effecient and wells uited to your large motor. Instead of being in the effciency island you will probably way off the map. Not neccessarily a good thing.

2. Depends on what yearm the later years came with a larger turbo. They have a t31 foot print which is a 3 bolt inlet. I would say the later year stock GN turbo will flow more than 300bhp not alot more but more.

3. For your setup, completely stock going to boost, max boost you probably want to run is 5-9 psi. So you are looking at a low pressure high volume turbo, with a failry large turbine and housing. I would personally suggest a full frame t4 turbo - with a to4b comp wheel and a p trim turbine in a .58 housing. or if you looking for a little less top end, little more low end, go with a t3 turbine side stage 5 with a .63 ex housing. Now this turbo is picked directly to fit your application as it sits now, however if you want to build later i would suggest a bigger turbo. Possibly a 66mm or 67mm turbo.

4. Ball bearings, tend to have longer life spans if they are maintained well, however, you will not see the actual reliability claims that manufacturers make, however you will notice that the boost will come on faster and harder than most standard bearing turbos, due to less friction on the shaft allowing it to turn faster.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Was the t4 ever used in a OEM car or truck?
Where can I go to research & purchase these units? Turbo city sells by make & model of vehicle & I don't know what type of turbo I am looking at.
Also, how many mm is a to4b
Thanks Turbodude.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 1987 Buick WE4 T-Type, I am a member of turbobuick.com and it is an incredible site to help answer your questions about what guys have done with their turbos as well as maybe even pick up a good turbo. The members on this site are very insightful and more than willing to help a fellow GM owner. Here is the link, good luck and sounds like a great project.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/

M
0 Posts
just to give you an idea on cost

intercooler alone is a minimum of $500
fuel pump - $150
injectors - $500
Tuning software - $500
conversion harnesses for injectors $130
intake filter for the turbo $55
Intercooler piping - $300

Id say expect no less then $8000 on a proper full kit if you want that power level and thats skimping by with extremely cheap stuff, you might want to look into a used maggie for 4K or so, or shortys and a cam

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
just to give you an idea on cost

intercooler alone is a minimum of $500
fuel pump - $150
injectors - $500
Tuning software - $500
conversion harnesses for injectors $130
intake filter for the turbo $55
Intercooler piping - $300

Id say expect no less then $8000 on a proper full kit if you want that power level and thats skimping by with extremely cheap stuff, you might want to look into a used maggie for 4K or so, or shortys and a cam

aye, youre better off buying one of the sponsors turbo kits, unless you are a fabricator yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I stated. The Gen TT would be my 1st choice but I will NOT spend that much $$$. Maybe you should take a look at http://www.junkyardturbos.com/remote_mount.html

$700 in this scrappy setup. But it works. A nice new turbo would put this in the $1400 range.

The intercooler,fuel pump, injectors, Tuning software can wait for now. 4lbs boost if necessary. I ran a 100 shot NOS dry on my old 2000 SS with nothing else. I'm just tired of filling the bottle after every 20 sec for $40 a pop.

I dont fab pipe. Wish I was more comfortable trying. I will let an exhaust shop do the plumbing. Pricing that should be my next step and may kill this project.

P.S. Instead of $1500 for injectors, intercooler, and tuning I think I would try E85 injection through a meth kit for about $150. Or just keep the boost down until I was willing to spend the $$$$.

You are right. I would love to have a professional kit. But I just cant let myself go into that much more debt right now. I would be happy with 100HP.

·
Need A Little Beethoven?
5,639 Posts
24v said:
2)You will not make 100whp more on the stock injectors. Not safely at least. I would expect your stock injectors will be maxed out long before you even get close to an extra 100hp.
I'll second that. My injectors are at over 80% duty cycle and I just have extremely basic mods.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GT086 said:
I'll second that. My injectors are at over 80% duty cycle and I just have extremely basic mods.
80% in a LS1 running 12.8 Sounds good to me.
I think there MAY be enough left in them for me then.
What size are your injectors and what size are the LS2's.

Also a inline fuel pump or booster will help for what $150.

I'm only looking for a little boost, no pun, over stock here and yes I could just go the cam, header route but when this car is paid down in a few years I can start turning up the boost with my hardware already in place. & maybe play around with E85 injection in the present.

·
got goat milk?
361 Posts
good luck with your project. piecing out and fabbing a turbo kit yourself is fun and a good hobby. just make sure you match the right turbo to your application.ive done this before on my previous ride. the reason why FI for our car is so pricey is because of the car production and the R&D . keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why are people going the injector, fuel pump, intercooler, HP tuners route instead of the much cheaper E85 or Meth injection? The injection adds the fuel, cools the charge, and raises the octane over 100 at the same time.

Does it just not work? Being wet inside the intake and all.
Does the fuel just not make it to the CYL or atomize or what?

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ironmancan said:
He's not being an ass just keeping things real. Good luck...
okay then.

Did anyone even look at this $700 junkyard turbo before jumping on me?

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LS2-GTO said:
spend some time over at http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/

A LOT of knowledge over there and they have a DIY turbo tech section and a GM turbo tech section. I've learned so much over there on FI I considered buying a mustang.. lol.
okay, thanks. I've been spending 3-4 hours every day on the PC researching. I wonder how much fabing I could get done in that time. I should take some pictures to the exhaust shops and get quotes and get off me arss.

·
Bye Bye Goat..It's Been Fun
3,934 Posts
ericwilloughby said:
Why are people going the injector, fuel pump, intercooler, HP tuners route instead of the much cheaper E85 or Meth injection? The injection adds the fuel, cools the charge, and raises the octane over 100 at the same time.

Does it just not work? Being wet inside the intake and all.
Does the fuel just not make it to the CYL or atomize or what?
Methanol injection is great when you need more octane. It should not be used to supliment a poor fuel system. Intercooler is good because you do not need to refill it, and it will always cool the charge air.
As for the injectors, my 42lb injectors were at 94% duty cycle with 485 rwhp. Your stock injectors are 28lb. You can do what you wish. Just keep in mind that those of us that are speaking against it are doing so for a reason. What you do to your car has nothing to do with me. If you want to put junkyard parts on your brand new car, go for it. if you want to step up, and buy new parts, you would be hard pressed to beat the "kit" prices by much.

·
3,934 Posts
ericwilloughby said:
okay then.

Did anyone even look at this $700 junkyard turbo before jumping on me?
I definetly saw it. The guy put it together without a wastegate. If that doesn't tell you much, then maybe you shouldn't be building your own. And, take a look at his oil line coming back from the pump. Nothing like drilling into your oil cap. Then there is the tuning, it appears as if he has done none. That is why we all buy HPTuners. Also, keep in mind, all of his gains he claims, are "seat of the pants". That is all fine and dandy, but that does not mean shit in the real world. Sometimes the car feels fast because you want it to.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't get it? Why would anyone give $4200 for a used STS when you can get a new Gen TT or maybe O.F.I. for $5,000.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
24v said:
I definetly saw it. The guy put it together without a wastegate. If that doesn't tell you much, then maybe you shouldn't be building your own. Also, keep in mind, all of his gains he claims, are "seat of the pants". That is all fine and dandy, but that does not mean shit in the real world. Sometimes the car feels fast because you want it to.
Wow, you really are aggressive. He does post a 1/4 time. and I did say add $700 for a NEW turbo.

Is 485 RWHP what you get on 13.5 PSI?

·
3,934 Posts
ericwilloughby said:
Wow, you really are aggressive. He does post a 1/4 time. and I did say add $700 for a NEW turbo.

Is 485 RWHP what you get on 13.5 PSI?
Not aggressive at all. Just brutaly honest. Where is his 1/4 mile time? Are you talking about the time he posted before the turbo? And, yes, 485 was on 13.5 psi running out of fuel.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts