LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
I deserve to be BLOWN!!!
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'd share my build with some of you considering the DIY turbo route. I used to have a D-1SC setup with Dynatechs LT's. I sold these items to fund "All" of my parts for the TT build. Fortunately, I invested in a Cheap 110v MIG welder a couple of months prior. I will use this for the downpipes, and wastegate plumbing. Everything else will be tacked only. I will have a professional finish it off with a TIG.
For the first few months I aquired needed parts from various vendors. I spent a TON of time searching and pricing out everything so I could keep the costs down. Even with all the extra shipping charges I was able to find some great deals.

The Engine is an LS2 Stroker. 403ci.
Arias Forged Pistons
Eagle H Beam rods
Eagle 4" Crank
ARP everything
CNC Ported 317 heads, patriot gold springs, Harland Sharps
Comp 273HR cam

Turbo Parts:
2 Turbonetics MC66's.
(aka TC) 4" inlet 2.5" outlet $1,760
2 Tial 38 wastegates $450
Flanges SS $24
2 Escalade manifolds (New) $60
I've had many PM's about these manifolds. So here's some info on them: These types can be found on most GM trucks and SUV's. These particular units are version 2003+ which do NOT have the EGR port on them. Prior to 2003, these manifolds come EGR equipped. They can be found on Ebay with a simple search for "GM exhaust manifold, 5.3 manifold or 6.0 manifold".
Cusom Flanges 1/2" Mild $45
GM exhaust gaskets $29
2.5" and 3" 304 Stainless-
Piping for hotside. $220!
T4 Flanges in SS $38
V band flanges $70
Exhaust wrap $50

Misc shit like nuts, bolts,
Tubing and Tools $200

Other parts:
Built TH400 FMVB with Ultrabell $400 (Local)
Used but good Yank 3600 for Th400/Ls $525
Edlebrock Victor Jr with fuel rails $300 (Thanks Nmbr1GMfan)
Solid Engine mounts $69.99
Griffen Radiator $270
Derale Fans $200

Still Need to buy:
2 Filters for turbos: $100
Intercooler $235 (Ebay for now)
Al piping, couplers and clamps. $110
The quality is actually pertty good
on these. 2mm thick, reinforced
silicone and T Bolt clamps.
HP Tuners. Someone stole this from me. $650
Someone to finish welding. $300?

This is all I can think of at the moment and I will update this as other costs come to mind.

The original plan was to run Twin 67mm units in a small 3" x 2" type E compressor cover. This would have opended up more room for possibilities. I was going to mount them facing eachother in the front of the engine bay, thus the reason I remounted my AC Condensor and Radiator at a tilt. But soon after I started the build, I found out that this would have required much more Talent and creativity to pull off in my garage.
I chose the GM manifolds because I did'nt want to bother trying to build two manifolds. They are cheap and they have a very good shape and flow to them. The only drawback to these IMO is where the exit is located. But with a good coat of Silver ceramic, I think it will look pretty good. Plus, there is plenty of room for the downpipes.
In fact, the driver side could easily fit a 4" DP!

Please don't :point: about my welding, it's the best I can do with what I have.

[/IMG]

I was able to relocate the condensor without cutting any of the plumbing. Just some bending by hand.

[/IMG]

This is the Radiator Mount that I made. The Griffen does not have any mounting locations so I had to come up with something. The Rad. seats right onto there nicely. the other end is attached to the frame rail underneath the car.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I had a freind weld on some billet mounting tabs that I had laying around. I'll probably weld some small tabs on for easy removal/install.

[/IMG]

This was the first side that fitted.
[/IMG]

This was challenging as a tight bend was needed. I did my best. It should look nice and clean when it's finished.

[/IMG]

Driver side DP V-Band welded on. I guess I'll do the complete welding on the DP's only since they did'nt come out too badly. It will be wrapped up anyways.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I still need to make a DP for the passenger side as well as Fab the plumbing for both wastegates.

·
I deserve to be BLOWN!!!
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Driver side Downpipe

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
looks good man. any plans on re-routing the brake lines? you might boil your brake fluid

·
I deserve to be BLOWN!!!
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks good man. any plans on re-routing the brake lines? you might boil your brake fluid
Thank you.

As far as underhood temps go, thanks to Ceramic Coat and header wrap, radiant heat won't be an issue when everything is finished.

·
I deserve to be BLOWN!!!
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks good. Wish I could weld....
If you can buy a welder, you can weld! 5 months ago I did'nt know the difference between a MIG and TIG, 110V or 220V AC or DC. Nothing.
It's one of those tools that you can get by your whole life without ever needing. But as soon as you get one, you can't imagine how you lived all this time without it!
Kind of like DVR:)

·
You build it, I break it!
4,615 Posts
Nice job man, looks good!

·
What my son calls it...
255 Posts
I thought I'd share my build with some of you considering the DIY turbo route. I used to have a D-1SC setup with Dynatechs LT's. I sold these items to fund "All" of my parts for the TT build.
Question, so far your at 6100+ and your labor, so how much HP did you get from D-1SC and how much HP will you get with the TT? Roughly how much to just buy a TT?
I'm still stock so i don't know what to expect from certain mods, but love reading all the info on here for when i get some damn CASH!!!
Oh, Braggin about yea i made that TT.... smurfING PRICELESS!!!
Props to you:thumbs::hbang:

·
18's or bust
9,517 Posts
I'm no weld expert but it looks good. The machine probably paid for itself and alot of hassle.

·
Black wheels... how original
532 Posts
Question. Why move the radiator foward if you aren't going to place turbos in that area?

·
Kermit Rolls in His 6.6
1,706 Posts
clean! very clean! Love the radiator like that! Could run some fans of some sort or make shrouds to vent the heat off/

·
80 swap in the works
3,203 Posts
Great work! The welding looks good too, welding is one of the things the more you do it the better you get.

·
I deserve to be BLOWN!!!
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone!

VRM VRM --> I never had the D1sc on the Dyno at it's best. I can only guess that I was in the 600-700whp range with the setup I had. With this setup I expect to hit 750whp if everything goes right. Maybe more if I don't puss out haha. Each turbo is rated at a Max of 725hp each so as long as everything goes well, well, we'll see.

Danieloneil01--> Yes it has. I use it all the time. I think everyone should own one.

boostedinaz--> I had a completely different setup in mind while I was relocating the radiator. If you look in the pictures you can see that I cut out some of the cosmetics to accomodate this idea. It was too late at this point and so I just stuck with it. Allthough I still prefer this over the stock location.

·
Lurker
323 Posts
Looks go so far. Your welds really dont look that bad. With the money you've spent so far though, why not just buy a decent fmic instaed of an ebay special?

·
Vtac kicked in Yo!!!
63 Posts
I had a completely different setup in mind while I was relocating the radiator. If you look in the pictures you can see that I cut out some of the cosmetics to accomodate this idea. It was too late at this point and so I just stuck with it. Allthough I still prefer this over the stock location.
Were you going for a VMIC, V-mount intercooler/ radiator setup?

·
I deserve to be BLOWN!!!
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Silvergto115--> I know what you're saying and it would certainly make more sense to buy a quality piece. These are not all that though. Ebay IC's are one of the better quality china pieces out there and there alot of people running these IC"s with success.

This is the one I have in mind
[/IMG]

This is the other option. I REALLY want this one and it has been in my plans for a long time. At 2X the price, it makes it a tough decision now. If I end up selling that car in my Avatar I'll defianately go with one below.
On the track I will be spraying Methanol aswell.
[/IMG]

icon3037r... That looks like the 3rd Gen RX7 V-mount like the one in my Avatar? That setup would not work in the GTO without serious cutting. Or using Really small cores:)

The radiator would have been mounted a little bit lower than it is now. Just enough to allow a 3" gap between the top of the Rad and the top support where the hood latch is.
If you've ever seen a TT corvette that Speed Inc made, that is very similar to what I was shooting for.

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
Very nice. Very creative with the escalade manifolds.

How come you couldnt mount the passenger side turbo like the driver side? Did you really need to do that tight bend?

Also your belt is on wrong ;)

1 - 20 of 164 Posts