LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Need for Speed
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today i went to pop the hood on the goat and heard a pop. Pulled back on the handle again and no tension. Damn, thing popped out.. So i crawled under the car and went to try and find a place to pop the hood. I was under there for a good bit. So i decided to check on here and really no info.

After a few more attempts i find the end of the release cable and start to feel around. Success, found the loop for the cable and pushed back. Hood popped real easy then. Here are some pic of the location(plastic cover removed for clarity)of the loop. It can be accessed from under the car, without removing anything.

Here is a pic from under the car with a screw driver showing where the loop is.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
This is good information. The inside release seems really flimsy. Each time I pop the hood, I always wonder if this will be the time it breaks on me. Thanks for the pics.

·
Clean is good...
2,747 Posts
Good info to have especially now that our cars are aging. A friend of mine, ls24me on this site, recently experienced a broken cable and shortly will have it replaced. He and his mechanic will examine the possibility of doing a hood latch/cable mod in case this occurs again so as to have an easier way of popping the hood without the stocker working. Still, good stuff OP.

Tom.

·
GTO guy
189 Posts
yes, speaking on behalf of that guy ls24me (that be me), that Yowzerman mentioned, this is very good info to have. In fact, I'll crawl under the car tomorrow night and follow your instructions before I take it to the dealer for them to screw with. As Yowzerman suggested, the thought struck me that there oughta be a way to rig up a backup release, maybe directly under the front bumper ... Thanks again!

·
Need for Speed
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was able to reach it using my hand.. just have to have long enough and average size arms to get in there.. if you have big arms, yiu prob eon't be able to reach it.

Ls24me push the loop to the passenger side, it will be alittle tough but works.

·
Need for Speed
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That thread shows how some people fixed the tension problem, but not how to pop the hood if the cable comes out of the loop(or spike as some have called it). My op shows how to pop the hood if the cable comes out or if your are alone and no one to push on the hood if you have a tension prob.

·
Registered
35 Posts
LS1GTO forum saves the day AGAIN. You guys rule. Used this thread to get my stuck hood open, clean and lube up the spring & latch assy & add the washers to the cable end - flippin awesome.

Looking back over the myriad issues I've either headed off before they occured, or repaired simply and/or with the least amount of money/hassle because of someone's else's dedication and willingness to share the info, I could never thank all the forum enough for the invaluable help, tips & advise.// and I probably would have sold McQueen a while back out of frustration../ so glad I didn't have to do that....

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Is the spring [latch] available separately? It is agreed that the thing stretches. Replace that and the cable.

Also, the alloy catch has a screwdriver slot. A verrrrry long screwdriver needs to be kept available.

Unlessall this was discussed years ago.

·
Registered
92 Posts
[QUOTE

Unless all this was discussed years ago.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I dug this out from a search. I was just interested in being able to pop the hood without the latch. Many people have the issue where they pull the release and it won't pop. My issue was a lot more stupid than that...left the battery disconnected, shut the hood, and lost keyless entry. the manual key lock on the driver's side was locked up (couldn't open the door), but a light spray of oil on the key while running it in/out a few times freed it.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The photos were probably good info then because now that our GTOs are 2 years older, they would be good info now.

There's a warm spot in hell for peeps who dump helpful photos instead of archive them. :gr_devil:

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Here's the only picture I have of this. Mine popped out as well at one point. I was able to reach it from underneath and slide the end back into the loop, then I used a zip tie to keep it in until I replaced the cable.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
I still have never seen another release like it.
Yes, a sash chain installed onto the skinny part of what is sticking out of that spring.
How and where to thread it to from there, w/o mucking things up, will take some imagination. I have used the chain on other cars, and it has been solid, thin, and reliable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts