LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent Sat. afternoon installing the hood/trunk liner from CARMotorsports. The install went pretty well. It wasn't difficult, but took some time. It does require you have a solder iron. I think it looks pretty good. I have a bunch of pics from the install on my site:
http://www.redgto.com/Default.aspx?album=GTO/Liner

Sprayed glue on the factory liner and new liner

Liner glued on before tuck and trim

Hood liner installed

Trunk liner installed

Trunk liner showing some solder iron holes.

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
So how does this work, do you have to glue the new liner to your existing hoodliner?
No clue about that hook, I thought at first that it was to hold up the trunk floor panel while changing the spare, but it fails miserably in that regard, so it must be for something else...

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You take off the existing liner and use the spray can of glue the kit comes with to glue the new liner to the existing one. Then you use a soldering iron to melt the holes in the new liner where they are in the existing liner. It's pretty easy to do on the hood liner because the factory liner doesn't melt at all you can use it for a guide. On the trunk liner you have to be much more exacting.

·
Registered
264 Posts
where did you get that stuff done??? and how much... i would also like to get the floor mats if i could. do they do other colors?? i have a yellow goat, and would prabably like the top of the symbol in yellow and the checkers in black... with the white lettering

anyway, your car looks better and better every time i see it... keep it up!!!

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
yourguyry said:
where did you get that stuff done??? and how much... i would also like to get the floor mats if i could. do they do other colors?? i have a yellow goat, and would prabably like the top of the symbol in yellow and the checkers in black... with the white lettering

carmototsports. one of our great sponsors

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yourguyry said:

Thanks. I still can't believe I didn't mod my 91 Firebird for the 12 years I've had that, but somehow the GTO has made me a mad man.

The mats and liner are from CAR Motorsports. They are a sponsor on the left. They do both the mats and liner in any colors you want.

·
CARmotorsports.com
327 Posts
Thanks

Wow. That does look good and you coordinated the red with your floor mats, right? We do offer them in the same customized colors as our floor mats. The SS trunk hood liners are due in soon. They will be AWESOME. Again, the logo can be color coordinated to match your paint.

BTW, its not a GTO, but thought everyone might want to see what we did for a local vette owner.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=868318

Alan

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CAR Motorsports said:
Wow. That does look good and you coordinated the red with your floor mats, right? We do offer them in the same customized colors as our floor mats. The SS trunk hood liners are due in soon. They will be AWESOME. Again, the logo can be color coordinated to match your paint.

BTW, its not a GTO, but thought everyone might want to see what we did for a local vette owner.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=868318

Alan
They are color matched to the floor mats and pretty soon trunk mat :)

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
you should know that in being a "moderator" it means to moderate our lust and how much we're spending and not be "the mod-erator" like in terminator :)

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
LOL

I have a friend who signed up here but refuses to participate for fear of spending money... and I have to admit, the mod bug would probably not exist in me if I could get myself off these pages.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
I hate it when people do mods and post such nice big clear pictures so the rest of us can drool, and then spend more money that we don't have.

I usually retaliate by doing my own mods then posting my pictures as payback. Wait till I get and install my short throw shifter kit and HSV/Holden GTO badges next week.

BTW, those liners and CAR Motorsports floormats are next on my list. I will be getting the same design with the red GTO logo.

Gotta feed the addiction. Now I have more empathy for crack and heroin addicts. I know how they feel.

LOLOLOLOL

·
3,327 Posts
I have the underhood in Yellow. I hope to install it on Wed.

Ames, how hard was it to get the wrinkles out? That is what has me concerned.

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
svede1212 said:
you should know that in being a "moderator" it means to moderate our lust and how much we're spending and not be "the mod-erator" like in terminator :)
My wife is just about to put a stop to the "mod-erator". I'll keep buying until she really puts the hammer down :)

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Warren said:
I have the underhood in Yellow. I hope to install it on Wed.

Ames, how hard was it to get the wrinkles out? That is what has me concerned.
I thought about trying to get the wrinkles out, but it turns out you don't need to. I just glued both the old and new liners and then started in the middle and just pressed the new into the shape of the old liner. It really stretches and forms well.

It would be a good idea to have a second person to hold the new liner up over the old liner while you are pressing and working your way to the outside.

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Install Guide

What to buy
Buy a clip removal tool. They are $5 at your local parts store. Sometimes they are called door clip removal tools or even auto upholstry removal tools. They look like a bent screwdriver with a V at the end.

Buy a soldering iron. Radioshack has cheap ones for $10-$15.

Buy some double sided carpet tape. I got some from Walmart.

How to install
Use the clip removal tool to pull all of the factory black plastic clips. I went bottom to top so the last one I took off was still holding the liner up. I would highly recommend throwing a rug or sheet over the engine so when the clips pop out that don't end up down in the engine. Yes I learned the hard way, twice.

Put the liner on a large table and give yourself room to work.

Put the new liner over the old liner and get the GTO emblem where you want it. You can press through the new liner and use the holes in the old liner to figure out where the center is.

Now hold the emblem in place and have someone peel back the other half of the new liner. Put down some carpet tape and stick that half back down. Now it should stay put so you know the emblem will go back down on the right spot.

Peel back the untaped half with the emblem on it and spray glue on both side. Stay about 6 inches away.

Wait for glue to dry.

Have someone hold the new liner up over the old liner and start from the middle and press your way out. Press the new liner onto the old. It will stretch quite a bit to get into the exact shape of the old liner.

Now peel back the side with the carpet tape and remove carpet tape. Repeat the glue and pressing step with this side.

Now trim off the excess on the sides, but... I didn't want any of the old liner showing so I left about 2 inches all around the sides and I glued that 2 inches and folded it over around the back.

Now heat up the soldering iron. I went around and poked the tip through all of the factory holes in the old liner from the back side. I just poked the tip through, then I went around to the front and worked the hole to size. You can get away with this on the hood liner, but the trunk liner should all be done from the back because the old liner will melt also. Be sure to be in a well ventalated area and take the steps neccessary to not inhale the fumes.

Now put the liner back on the car. The kit comes with new clips, but I just reused the factory ones.

·
CARmotorsports.com
327 Posts
Yesterday, we, CAR Motorsports did some updating to our Website. This update included a specific page for the much loved 2004 GTO Custom Embroidered Underhood Insulator. This direct link to the page is provided below. A reminder that all colors are available both in fully assembled and in "kit' form. The kit will now come with a complete set of installation instructions. Thank you to those who have already purchased these items and to "Ames" for aiming us toward a detailed set of installation instructions. We, CAR Motorsports love what we do, and it is an honor to supply quality products that visually enhance an already beautiful performance vehicle as the GTO.

Link: http://www.carmotorsports.com/UHI_GTO.htm

Rich

·
3,327 Posts
Installed

I wish I would have read Andrew's advice before I tried today, but I did get good advice from Rich on the phone. The hardest part that I had was the removal of the old clips. I used a screwdriver and a pair of plyers, and it was not easy at all. ALSO, the new clips do not hold, but Rich gave me a trick to try with black electrical tape around the posts of the new clips.

After you get everything on the front side, you need to trim around the outside of the fabric and clip and cut the wraparound:

After this is done, you use the soldering iron to make the holes for the clips:

Fully installed:

Garion and Goldia approved. :gr_jest:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts