LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Still haven't seen a hood with scoops that looks better on the car than the stock hood.
Dan

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
ghey.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm surprised -- I actually LIKE the look of that hood. Nice job!

Mind you, I still prefer to NOT have hood scoops on my own car, so I hope Pontiac doesn't force us to get scoops on future models. I think it should be part of an optional "sport appearance package" on the 2005, but not a manadory feature.

·
Disaster
339 Posts
I like the hood. Maybe could have made bettr design. But overall good work. Not worth $850 though :rolleyes:

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
i don't think it looks too bad. i would like to see how it's coupled to the air intake and how much of a weight savings it would be

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
The hood is starting to grow on me.

I don't think it's worth $825. But consider this: I had a little "incident" (see http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1658 for details). I finally got the insurance check. They covered $480 (or near that) for a stock replacement hood. Would it be worth the $345 difference to get this hood on a silver car?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
derf said:
The hood is starting to grow on me.

I don't think it's worth $825. But consider this: I had a little "incident" (see http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1658 for details). I finally got the insurance check. They covered $480 (or near that) for a stock replacement hood. Would it be worth the $345 difference to get this hood on a silver car?
i sure think it is. if i was in your position. i would totally do that. in fact. i was sort of hoping that someone would ruin my hood so i could a new one for my GP. haha.

·
Registered
835 Posts
svede1212 said:
i don't think it looks too bad. i would like to see how it's coupled to the air intake and how much of a weight savings it would be
I doubt that there will be a weight savings, fiberglass hoods tend to weigh about the same as the steel ones.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If I wanted this type of hood, I don't think the price is unreasonable. You have to consider the development time to create this, as well as limited quantities they will produce. The company needs to recover its investment, so the cost seems fair to me.

·
549 RWHP and 569 TQ
414 Posts
As far as the styling goes, that's always subjective. Everyone has different tastes. I actually met with Eric and Melissa (the owners of MPD) last week when they were on vacation in Orlando. I got to see about twenty or thirty shots of the hood and hear a detailed description of the air box. I ordered one on the spot. I also believe that the Speed Inc. set up will fit in their enclosure so I just ordered the enclosure without the filter and saved some money.

As far as price goes, they are the makers of the original F1 hood for the Grand Prix which has always been considered the best made hood for that car. This hood is in line with pricing for their other hoods. Again, styilng is up to the individual, but their quality has never been in question. They really seem like a nice couple who try to build a quality product that will satisfy their customers.

I think this hood would go great with the new ground effects that were on the GTO Autocross at the SEMA show, especially the rear facia with the split duals. I'm sure it will be over the top for some, I think the car looks good as is too. But at least we are getting some choices to give each car a personality of its own if desired. Thanks MPD.

Dave Stull

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
... so we're looking at $1,100 and then you still have to get it painted.

·
2005 CGM GTO
1,523 Posts
I think it looks GREAT.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I Agree with Wavydavy GTO. I just placed an order with Eric at MPD. After talking with him I felt that here is a guy that wants to build a quality product first and then price it accordingly. I think the hood looks great and that it is not overly aggresive looking for the GTO. I know there is a few younger guys and gals that prefer the non sporty look of the GTO, but for me having owned a 67 and 69 GTO I prefer a car that is fairly quick and that has the sporty look. As my son says "back in the day" the car not only had to be quick, it had to look quick.

·
Registered
68 Posts
svede1212 said:
... so we're looking at $1,100 and then you still have to get it painted.
I still don't think that's unreasonable if you want a custom hood. Again, I like the plain hood, but this custom hood looks really nicely done, in my opinion.

Before settling on pricing, I'm sure the owners said, "How much do we need to charge to make this a feasible business venture?"

It can't be cheap to tool up for production of something like this. Whether or not you can justify this in your budget, I think they are asking a fair price.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts