LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Suck a turd!
359 Posts
I dont' know the answer to your question. This may help.

The invoice included with the package says 05 GTO and it says part # as 2278. Does your receipt say the same? If it does, it could be same sways for both cars. Otherwise, TBynre may chime in....

I got mine the other day and it was definately a great price..thats why i jumped on it. GP asked for 10 orders needed, i think i was like #11 or #12. I come back few days later to check and they had like 36 orders. A lot of people got this great deal.......

Rob

·
GTO no more baaah!
1,150 Posts
Yes they are the same, but there are less things to move on the 05. I can't remember exactly but I think our (05/06) tranny cooler lines are not in the way, but the power steering lines are still an issue. SEARCH and ye shall find detailed install instructions here.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I can tell you. They are worth it, and yes. The 04' and 05'-06's are the same. I have not had to deal with any cooler lines for the trans installing mine(t56). I can tell you, the rear is not bad. But, the front take a little bit of time to get the bars out and back in.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
Hotchkis 2278 fits all of 04/05/06 GTO.

·
GTO no more baaah!
1,150 Posts
You'll also want to upgrade your endlinks at the same time and save yourself some grief later because the stockers WILL bend with the heavier bar on there. Either pedders or Whiteline are available.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Do the links now, plan for a hassle on the front and rear. The rear took us longer because we refused to drop the diff/cradle. A great story over a beverage some day. The front requires dropping the bolts and lowering the front 6-8 inches. Be patient and you will get it out, we did so without removing any lines (everything the hard way). Do Not get in a hurry and you will be fine. I did it all on a lift and I can't imagine doing this on jackstands but almost anything is possible. Sorry a bit off topic.
Bottom line you will not regret it (front bar mid position, rear full soft) with 19's. Night and day difference once I complete my bushings next week I would say I will be able to keep up with some pricy cars in the twisties.
Congrats!

·
Banned
8,940 Posts
Install of the rears is gonna hurt you, but when you hear from folks here that bars/bushings "transform the car", the bars are more than 50% of the gain IMHO. Congrats on your acquisition, you will enjoy them a lot !

EDIT: Yes, endlinks are a must. I did Pedders' kit at install time, because many early members here had the stock endlinks bend. Best you get a set of endlinks in hand before you begin.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I guess i am missing something then. Still have my stock front links and bushings. The rear links are stock, but the bushings have been changed in favor of SLP bushings. Front set a t mid, and rear is set at stiff. Helped my wheel hop.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,959 Posts
ON the front middle setting you might not bend the endlinks, I haven't bent mine just yet either.

Also the bar fit all cars. On my rear install, I noticed that the bolt for the bracket was wormed out on the pass side, took me an hour to finally get it to hold a thread.

When doing the rear, get either a pedders or noltec diff insert and put it in too. Cheap part, lots of help on the rear wobble.

·
Too Fast
608 Posts
My advice to you is:

1) it's a PITA so prepare to spend some time on it
2) definitely do urethane endlink bushings, huge diff by themselves
3) order your new Pedders front endlinks now. the stockers will bend on any setting
4) it's all worth it :pir_flag:

instead of driving a sailboat you'll actually be able to take some corners ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Im not going to make moves on better endlinks until mine bend. I have read many members reporting that endlinks are bending. But mine haven't yet. I have my front in the middle and the rear one down from full. I thought for sure they would bend because I auto-x. But they are fine so far. Im just going to keep an eye on them. Peace.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts