LS1GTO Forums banner

How did they treat you

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  WEDJ 
#1 ·
Not looking for a flame war - but honestly interested - since I couldn't go - how were the 04-05 guys recieved by the older generation goats?

#2 ·
I never had any issues...everyone there was friendly, It was my first time at any show that was specifically for one make of cars, and that is what it seemed to be all about. I think in an environment like that, the owners of the older ones eat it up because most (well me at least) of the new 04-05 owners were drooling over their cars...A very good time!

#3 ·
Sounds like the smaller shows I have been to at ETown. They seem to treat us okay - I get the occasional "looks like a Grand AM" comment but other then that they at least put up with us. I was just curious given that this is the major event for the GTO's.

#4 ·
There was one wife of an older generation owner that was patronizing as all hell. Comes in all nice and drops surypy insults while smiling at us.
"You guys have a good turn out. I hope you have your own club or something" (Yep we do, GTOAA)
"My husband counted 149 cars this morning but he didn't count this row"(04/05)

All the while smiling and "making nice"

Other than that, everyone was great. There is a huge contingent that are simply not interested in the new car or even angry that we were there. But they kept to themselves so it wasn't as noticable this year as last. We made up a full 10% of the cars there which is a higher percentage than any other groupe except maybe the 68/69 body style including more Judges than I though posible. It was a great time.

#5 ·
it was my first show of this nature as well...all the guys with the new gtos were cool. I didnt have mine in the show, but parked in the parking lot the day i was there (thursday), just to show support. All the older guys i saw on the highways and such well...i tried to give them the thubms up, probably a little too enthusiastically lol, but all i got in reply was a begrudging thumb, no smile or nod or anything of that nature. Just business as usual. Must say though, the 04/05 guys i talked to were very cool and made the trip worthwhile.

#7 ·
I never got over how many psuedo 04-05 GTO's there were. Bunch of Wanabeess! Come on everyone knows what a real GTO looks like! None of this Made in Australia BS. A real car is made by the quality workers in the good old US of A! Damn imports!LOL.

#8 ·
"Older generation" Pepper Green 70

04-05 owners/GTOAA members:

I'm one of the "older generation" guys, but that's my car as I'm not too much older than what I think most of you are. I, for one, was glad to see a good showing of the new cars, and you the owners participating.

One thing I have learned about car shows and the people that enter them is that no matter if it is a all-makes or very specific (such as the GTOAA convention) show, there will be people that have to act as if some of the cars are not worthy. Of course those same people will think that the show revolves around them and their cars. So my advice is to expect them wherever you drive or show your cars. There are people who show in the concours that will never walk over to the popular vote cars and enjoy them. I think that many of these people have forgotten that a GTO is meant to be driven and enjoyed, while 04-05 owners are living this anew. I have spent 6+ years restoring my 70, and no matter how nice a condition I get this car to, I will drive it. I will drive it brutally hard and bring a smile to my face.

Stay with the GTOAA, encourage other 04-05-0? owners to join, start a chapter, become an officer in the club, and furthermore. POCI is a great club as well, full of great people, so check them out. I enjoyed looking at your cars as much as the older cars and I hope Pontiac continues to make them better and produce them for many years to come. And I hope to see you all at the GTOAA convention again.

#9 ·
Jeff Harper said:
04-05 owners/GTOAA members:

I'm one of the "older generation" guys, but that's my car as I'm not too much older than what I think most of you are. I, for one, was glad to see a good showing of the new cars, and you the owners participating.

One thing I have learned about car shows and the people that enter them is that no matter if it is a all-makes or very specific (such as the GTOAA convention) show, there will be people that have to act as if some of the cars are not worthy. Of course those same people will think that the show revolves around them and their cars. So my advice is to expect them wherever you drive or show your cars. There are people who show in the concours that will never walk over to the popular vote cars and enjoy them. I think that many of these people have forgotten that a GTO is meant to be driven and enjoyed, while 04-05 owners are living this anew. I have spent 6+ years restoring my 70, and no matter how nice a condition I get this car to, I will drive it. I will drive it brutally hard and bring a smile to my face.

Stay with the GTOAA, encourage other 04-05-0? owners to join, start a chapter, become an officer in the club, and furthermore. POCI is a great club as well, full of great people, so check them out. I enjoyed looking at your cars as much as the older cars and I hope Pontiac continues to make them better and produce them for many years to come. And I hope to see you all at the GTOAA convention again.
This is refreshing!

#10 ·
These Judges....?

Yes, I finally downloaded my pics from the show, more to come later!!

Attachments

#12 ·
MatadorRed69 said:
I never got over how many psuedo 04-05 GTO's there were. Bunch of Wanabeess! Come on everyone knows what a real GTO looks like! None of this Made in Australia BS. A real car is made by the quality workers in the good old US of A! Damn imports!LOL.
I'm only kidding of course. I met a bunch of great classic owners including a few who had new cars as well.

#13 ·
There were a BUNCH of gorgeous Judges and other vintage goats on hand.....I saw a gold 1967 model with Crager Mags I would have traded my 2004 AND left nut for, but he probably wouldn't make that deal ! Anyway here are some more photos......I think there were more tri-power 389's there than Pontiac ever made !!

Attachments

#14 ·
dcbingaman said:
There were a BUNCH of gorgeous Judges and other vintage goats on hand.....I saw a gold 1967 model with Crager Mags I would have traded my 2004 AND left nut for, but he probably wouldn't make that deal ! Anyway here are some more photos......I think there were more tri-power 389's there than Pontiac ever made !!
The owner isn't afraid to run that 67 either - he won the burnout contest hands down and was running mid-high 13s in the heat - it is very nice. The tri-power pictured just laid down 391 HP to the rear wheels today. Needless to say, he has a little more than the stock 389 in there (topped my 455 by 50 hp!)

raybs

#15 ·
I was not in the car show, either. I was allowed to park in the show area for the 3 days prior to the show day. I didn't notice any major grudges by older GTO owners. I did get several comments about the good looks of the car. I did mostly go for the newer models, but I got pics of the classics for my dad (he owned a '66). Overall, I liked it. I still can't get over going across the Chain of Rocks bridge on the Rt. 66 tour. That was too fun for words to describe. I wish I had the ability to transfer my video to a computer file. Oh well.

#17 ·
Jeff Harper said:
there will be people that have to act as if some of the cars are not worthy. Of course those same people will think that the show revolves around them and their cars..................................................................................................... And I hope to see you all at the GTOAA convention again.

Jeff, that was so well said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.