LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I disconnected battery during the winter and closed the hood. Doors are locked and FOB doesn't work since battery disconnected. I tried key in door lock but that doesn't work either as I think the door unlocks are battery controlled as well.

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,473 Posts
If you have the key you should be able to use it in the door to unlock it. If it doesn't want to turn you need to shoot a little lube in the and turn harder. Just be careful I broke my key off in the door trying to turn it when I had a dead battery. It was the first time i tried to use that outside door lock in 11 years. If you dont use it for long periods of time they stop liking to turn.

Other alternative is to call a locksmith or AAA and have them pop the door to get in. They use the little bladder to separate the top of the door frame and stick a rod down and pull up on the door lock.

·
Worthless reject member
39,150 Posts
I think i provided power to the car to unlock via fob with a dead battery via starter cable and engine block once with a jump starter box.

Good times.

·
Powdercoat all of it
108 Posts
I had my battery disconnected for a long while during the top end work, and I'd unlock it every day with the key manually. I vote for getting some lube in there, maybe graphite or white lithium on the key a few times.

·
1 of 40,757
6,297 Posts
I had this issue and my key would not unlock the door (because no battery connected?).
I was able to reach up from underneath the car and hook up some jumper cables to the battery leads.
Wasn't easy but wasn't impossible.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had this issue and my key would not unlock the door (because no battery connected?).
I was able to reach up from underneath the car and hook up some jumper cables to the battery leads.
Wasn't easy but wasn't impossible.
Key should unlock even if there is no power. Likely the key is sticking and not turning left far enough.

·
Worthless reject member
39,150 Posts
I used to know how it was connected, since i had to replace the lock cylinder on my blueberry flavored car so had everything apart, but that was 3 years ago.

Incidentally, my blue car actually uses a different key for the door, because of some previous owner shenanigans. That smurfing gai.

Eh, i'm not feeling too cute. maybe i'll look at a service manual diagram later. Maybe OP should launch a cruise missile at his car. Idk.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I used to know how it was connected, since i had to replace the lock cylinder on my blueberry flavored car so had everything apart, but that was 3 years ago.

Incidentally, my blue car actually uses a different key for the door, because of some previous owner shenanigans. That smurfing gai.

Eh, i'm not feeling too cute. maybe i'll look at a service manual diagram later. Maybe OP should launch a cruise missile at his car. Idk.
Race car beds don't count 😅

·
1 of 40,757
6,297 Posts
Key should unlock even if there is no power. Likely the key is sticking and not turning left far enough.
Must be a isolated issue with my car. My fob has been giving me problems lately. I drove the gto today (60* in upstate ny) and while I was able to lock it with the key I wasn’t able to unlock with key.

·
Worthless reject member
39,150 Posts
Must be a isolated issue with my car. My fob has been giving me problems lately. I drove the gto today (60* in upstate ny) and while I was able to lock it with the key I wasn’t able to unlock with key.
ok, i knew from your post there was something electronic with the door key cylinder because i remember a switch being left over from the spare unit i purchased (i bought an entire low-mile handle, with the lock cylinder, key, etc, to swap into the blue car) but i don't remember what it was for. the service manual says there's a microswitch that's linked it so both doors will lock or unlock when the lock cylinder is turned with the correct key. you can still unlock it manually with no power like kurazy said, but with no power it will only unlock the driver door.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts