LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a mechanic install the longtubes today which meant dropping the steering rack. Now I have "vibration spots" in the steering.
He turned the wheel side to side a few times, supposedly this bleeds the system but I got home and the steering wheel vibrates and goes soft close to full turn left and right.

what do I do?
do i have to remove the lines? is there a way to fully bleed them or do i just continue to turn full left to full right till it goes away?

Ive read people have to go back to the dealer to fix this but there has to be a simple way of doing it.

Thanks guys.

·
Banned
1,581 Posts
these rack & pinions are bled by turning s.w. lock to lock few times.
i've done SLP long tube installs without dropping the R&P but shifting it by loosening it and hen placing it back in its location - no vibratios, but i never had to disconnect the lines.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,863 Posts
Are you sure you aren't getting any rubbing on the steering knuckle to header clearance? I know a few people have had that issue. If you aren't give your steering a day or two and it should get rid of any bubbles in the lines. Hopefully your mechanic didn't put power steering fluid in the system. It takes ATF.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
use2vtec said:
+1, its completely normal. Just give it some time to work out.
+2, mine were the same way.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Swampgoat said:
My SWs touched ever so lightly on a primary tube at the knuckle. A little whack to reshape the safety clip over the nut fixed it. It was more of a bind then a soft spot for me.
+1

I also had to adjust the safety clip as it was rubbing. The bleeding will work itself out over time

·
Not Vengeance..Punishment
1,401 Posts
I turned my steering wheel full-left to full-right a few times, and then left the car overnight with the steering wheel turned full-left. I have no issue with it since.

-K

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
hey fellas. the SLP headers DO NOT rub the steering. They actually fit the car - SLP made sure of that. His steering just needs to be bled out.

·
I LOVE YOU PAP
864 Posts
FI05Goat said:
Mine was like that for about a day after the install. Just took some driving to get the bubbles worked out.
--1. That might not be the case. My rubbing continued for over 2 weeks. Took it to the installer, then to the dealer, back to the dealer, back to the installer, finally they said the header was rubbing agains the engine on hard right turns. Bent the lts 1/8" and its fine now

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went back to the shop and the installer explained how to get the bubbles out. Set it to full right over night then full left all day and it is fixxed now.
I'll check for rubbing and all but i doubt it since I dont feel anything anymore and the installer went over everything, nut and bolted everything and checked for exhaust leaks. Jeremy Formato tuned it the very next day and was happy with the ressults so its all good now.

Thanks for all the quick replys and the advise fellas.
Aldrwin.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Musashi_GTO said:
I went back to the shop and the installer explained how to get the bubbles out. Set it to full right over night then full left all day and it is fixxed now.
I'll check for rubbing and all but i doubt it since I dont feel anything anymore and the installer went over everything, nut and bolted everything and checked for exhaust leaks. Jeremy Formato tuned it the very next day and was happy with the ressults so its all good now.

Thanks for all the quick replys and the advise fellas.
Aldrwin.
I'm Glad you got it fixed. :) I might be visiting their shop for my clutch.:(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.