LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few threads on here about people upgrading stereos and was wondering if someone can tell me how to remove the stereo with commonly available tools. I poked around with 4 small screwdrivers but couldn't get the stereo to budge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
BlueGTO said:
I've seen a few threads on here about people upgrading stereos and was wondering if someone can tell me how to remove the stereo with commonly available tools. I poked around with 4 small screwdrivers but couldn't get the stereo to budge.
All it takes is the special tool, one per side of the radio.
All you have too do is push them in and then the radio just pull's out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Radio Removal Tool

BlueGTO said:
I've seen a few threads on here about people upgrading stereos and was wondering if someone can tell me how to remove the stereo with commonly available tools. I poked around with 4 small screwdrivers but couldn't get the stereo to budge.
Special Tools:
Radio Removal Tool BO46862
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
John Delore said:
Special Tools:
Radio Removal Tool BO46862

Where can you get that part from? Also, anyone know if a wiring harness is available? or a module to let you keep steering wheel controls via IR like aftermarket modules for other GM cars?

Y2J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I was hoping that someone had managed to remove the stereo (intact) without the tool. My car's interior is already stripped down except for the dash and I was hoping to start the wiring this weekend. I doubt any of the dealers have the tool in stock.
 

·
Yes, it has a car seat
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
From the manual, it looks like you could make your own version from a wire coat hanger or 2. It just looks like that's what the tool is - a wire to insert into the 4 holes, then you pry outward to release the clips and slide the stereo out.
Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Actually your dealer probably has the tool, mine does. I've been meaning to get in there and have them remove it so I can get an XM Skyfi put in below it. To do that I need the little flip down storage door removed, and you need the stereo out to do that. But the cool thing is the XM unit fits perfectly flush once the hinges are removed. Ford has the same set-up for some of their stereos but the tool is too big.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
britus56 said:
Actually your dealer probably has the tool, mine does. I've been meaning to get in there and have them remove it so I can get an XM Skyfi put in below it. To do that I need the little flip down storage door removed, and you need the stereo out to do that. But the cool thing is the XM unit fits perfectly flush once the hinges are removed. Ford has the same set-up for some of their stereos but the tool is too big.

I'm curious to know if we can hook a wired FM modulator to that damn Blaupunkt radio or not....The wireless ones sound like garbage....I really need to take my NAV system from my GTP, which is sitting in 3 boxes and have someone install it in the GOAT, but I don't have the money for that install right now...Looking to get some form of SAT radio in the car....I have a Kenwood NAV so I am already paying for Sirius, which isn't being used right now...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I ordered the radio removal tool from Your order from RIVER OAKS CAR STEREO has been shipped to you and you should see it in a few days! We shipped it very fast via PRIORITY on Dec 23, 2004 if you should have any questions please contact us at [email protected] or 713-626-7627. I have to use the wired antenna for my XM commander and IM hoping once I get the radio out I will be able to hook it up..
 

·
'04 Cosmo Purple/M-6
Joined
·
81 Posts
y2jdmbfan said:
Where can you get that part from? Also, anyone know if a wiring harness is available? or a module to let you keep steering wheel controls via IR like aftermarket modules for other GM cars?
You can order it from 1-800-GMTOOLS as well.

At present, I don't know of anyone who makes adapter cables that are available in the U.S. I know some people have made their own cables once they purchased the bare connectors. You need to have the wiring diagram for the connectors to do it properly though.

Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Don't waise any money :( Just get 2 Welding rods, Hammer off the flux and clean them Round the ends and make your own tool, It's not rocket science Just make sure to push outward on each side, I made them in about 15 mins. Same as I did for ford radios :)
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
378 Posts
Welding rod?

You can make them easily from a coat hanger and you don't have to clean off the flux.



Slide them in about 3/4" and then push each to the outside (left to the left and right to the right) and then remove the radio.



Diggs
 

·
3Deucesanda5speedanda455
Joined
·
411 Posts
I used 4 ball head allen wrenches. It took a lot of shaking and pulling, but it finally came out. The hardest part is the lower left, since you are pulling out 2 multi contact plugs.

I used the Metra single DIN dash plastic to mount my Alpine 7894.The Scosche wiring harness for an 86+ VW, fits the car's plugs and works with my Alpine HU perfectly. An antenna adapter for VW and PAC SWI-X steering wheel interface are all you need to complete the deal.

It's nice having a real HU in the car! I missed my Alpine, especially the XM and mp-3 capability.




The green backlighting is an almost perfect match for the gauges.
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
378 Posts
Shifter

Where did you get the shifter knob? Was it a direct replacement or did you have to mod to install it?

Diggs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Trip,

Did you use the powered antenna adapter or just the regular one? I used the regular one and I have HORRIBLE radio reception...I may have to re-check my plugs but im 99.999% sure they are all in.
 

·
3Deucesanda5speedanda455
Joined
·
411 Posts
I used the regular old VW antenna adapter, and have no FM reception problems at all.

I am actually having more reception problems with XM, with the antenna mounted on the package shelf.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Tripower455 said:
I used the regular old VW antenna adapter, and have no FM reception problems at all.

I am actually having more reception problems with XM, with the antenna mounted on the package shelf.
for some reason our rear windows have a HELL of a time recieving satellite. I had to move it outside, I put my camaro's under the window but the GTO hates it :) now the GPS reciever works fine there I havent a clue :)
 

·
3Deucesanda5speedanda455
Joined
·
411 Posts
JOE04GTO said:
for some reason our rear windows have a HELL of a time recieving satellite. I had to move it outside, I put my camaro's under the window but the GTO hates it :) now the GPS reciever works fine there I havent a clue :)
I may try it in the windshield instead........

On my old car ('01 Formula), I put the XM antenna (the big old mouse looking thing) inside the spoiler. Totally stealth and perfect reception. I am not sure that it would work with metallic paint (mine's quicksilver), but I might try it with the GTO. There is a lot of room in the GTO spoiler for one of the newer, small XM antennas. Somewhere in the vicinity of the brake light should work great.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top