LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Clean is good...
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, talk is everywhere but serious feedback is requested here. Some who've had cams installed kept their current gas mileage, some even improved. I recently heard someone actually lost 9 MPG with his cam install! The question is, how far can one go with a cam and not get killed at the pump? A reasonable tradeoff is good sense. I'm looking specifically at an LS2 in my 2005 with boltons to this point. Thanks for your expertise.

Tom.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
I know you're looking for a LS2, but with P&P 243 heads and a 224/224 581/581 114LSA, I can actually get 20MPG in the CITY if I drive the car normally..

·
Registered
995 Posts
On the way back from Texas Speed I averaged 23-25, off and on with the 402 they just installed with that big cam:D

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
Mine dropped to about 12mpg in the city.....but Im not fully tuned yet....and my foot is in it alot :gears: But like those above me said....the right combo properly tuned is actually more efficient than stock.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
cam is in the sig i can get over 20 if 1st 3rd 6th around town i average around 16-18 though in the city, but highway is still the same... the gas problem is caused by everyones right foot!!!!

·
Former GTO owner
619 Posts
I'm getting 16-17 and its a bit on the rich side

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
Mods in sig.
With a fat duration cam and 3.91s, my M6 is my only saving grace at the pump.
I was averaging 13 city, 24.5 hwy (real [email protected] cruise+A/C) on my bolt on rig.
Added the cam,
& heads and real hwy fell to 20, city is more dependent on driving style....whoopp this thing and 11 is possible.
City mix, stop and go, no wild child stuff=12.5mpg, 13.5 if 1-3-5 skip shifting.
For fun, at a track day I reset everything and got 7mpg. Thank goodness the drive home was 20mpg!
I think I am on the Arab and Venezuealan govt. Xmas card list now

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
My MPG definitely dropped after my cam swap. Stock I would get up to 26 MPG on the hwy and 22 in the city. Now I'm lucky to hit 20 on the hwy and forget about city, it's around 14-15 If I'm lucky.

ROK

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
With the mods in my sig I'm getting 17ish city, 25ish highway. Knock those down -1/-2 for hot summertime weather. (Cool fall air :ftw: !) Tha's actually UP +1/+1 to +2 over stock! (and it goes just fine too...;)

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
I cruised the hiway tonight cause I was bored. Did about 100 miles averaging aroud 70mph. I actually averaged 25mpg. I was shocked since city is only 12.

·
Clean is good...
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, school's still out on this it seems. What attributes on the cam/setup do you think contribute to a gain, maintainance or loss of mpg? Is there any one thing or a combination that we can put our hands on other than, of course, the right foot? Are there changes in injectors mixed in here somewhere too? It appears that similar cams, ie, lifts and durations, are producing different results across the board.

Tom.

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
My vote is "it's gotta be the tune..." :ftw:

It makes all the difference in the world.

Now there are some other things, like ceramic coating the combustion chambers, that can help too. I did that with mine. If you want, you can send me a set without the coating and I'll run them for ya...;)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
its got to be your tunes i can still get basically the same mileage?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts