LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to swap trunks with someone, how hard is it to do? What needs to be done to get it off?

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
lol oh . you're getting that red trunk huh. it's not really that hard to do. i'm sure he'll do it all for you seeing how if i remember right he wanted you to come to his place and swtich off right?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jamesbiz said:
lol oh . you're getting that red trunk huh. it's not really that hard to do. i'm sure he'll do it all for you seeing how if i remember right he wanted you to come to his place and swtich off right?
I'm meeting him at the NC line, but I was more or less wondering what kind of job I was looking at. Some things look easy then become a pita. For example Hoen lights, getting the wires connected without much slack from the stock wires is a pita.

·
Can't... stop... modding...
929 Posts
I looked at it yesterday, and it looks like you have to remove the components that the trunklid wires and cables run to. It seems as if the rear latch needs to come off and a couple electrical things, but it doesn't look too involved... unless there is an easy way to "unplug" the electrical stuff from inside the car itself and disconnect the cables (but that seems unlikely...).

I'm not 100% on this, though. Some advice for me and 00blackss would be much appreciated!

On a positive note, it looks like 4 bolts hold the trunk itself on... that's it. Those bolts are accessible from the inside of the trunk - so I'm thinking alignment might be easier with two people (either when we swap, or when we get back home). One to align the trunk on the outside (with the bolts somewhat loose and the trunk shut), and the other tightening bolts from inside the trunk when it is aligned! Not sure if this would work, but it looks possible.

Once again, guys that have removed their trunks: some specific advice is much appreciated!!!

·
Belt-driven intake
422 Posts
I've done it. There are pretty much five things that need to be done:

1) Remove the trunk lid liner by popping out the plastic retainers.
2) Disconnect the spoiler brake light wiring by disconnecting the plug.
3) Disconnect the wiring from the trunk release by disconnecting the plug.
4) Disconnect the manual trunk release cable from the trunk release by removing the bolt from the cable bracket and unhooking cable from release.
5) Remove the four bolts connecting the trunk to the trunk hinges.

You will need two people to remove the trunk. I would suggest taping the edges of the lid and trunk to avoid chipping the paint. Also, use something (I used a white crayon) to mark the outline of the hinge arms onto the trunk lid to aid in lining it back up. This will get you close, but you may still have to do some adjusting.

One other thing: when I swapped tunks on an '04, the trunk releases were two different designs and had different electrical connections. You might have to swap releases if you run into this.

I'm going from memory here, but I don't think I left anything out. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MotorheadMike said:
I've done it. There are pretty much five things that need to be done:

1) Remove the trunk lid liner by popping out the plastic retainers.
2) Disconnect the spoiler brake light wiring by disconnecting the plug.
3) Disconnect the wiring from the trunk release by disconnecting the plug.
4) Disconnect the manual trunk release cable from the trunk release by removing the bolt from the cable bracket and unhooking cable from release.
5) Remove the four bolts connecting the trunk to the trunk hinges.

You will need two people to remove the trunk. I would suggest taping the edges of the lid and trunk to avoid chipping the paint. Also, use something (I used a white crayon) to mark the outline of the hinge arms onto the trunk lid to aid in lining it back up. This will get you close, but you may still have to do some adjusting.

One other thing: when I swapped tunks on an '04, the trunk releases were two different designs and had different electrical connections. You might have to swap releases if you run into this.

I'm going from memory here, but I don't think I left anything out. Hope this helps.
Yea, realdeal's is an 05, and mine's 06. So basically rip the carpet off the trunk to find these connections. Or where are the connections.

·
Belt-driven intake
422 Posts
00blackss said:
Yea, realdeal's is an 05, and mine's 06. So basically rip the carpet off the trunk to find these connections. Or where are the connections.
The connections are in the trunk lid under the carpet. You will find them easily with the trunk carpet off.

·
929 Posts
Thanks Mike!

·
929 Posts
00blackss - clear your PM box! :)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RealDeal said:
00blackss - clear your PM box! :)
Done, sorry i went on a bender over the weekend.... dropped way too much at the bar saturday night. Buying a round of Jager bombs=bad news.

·
929 Posts
00blackss said:
Buying a round of Jager bombs=bad news.
LOL... same thing that got my girlfriend pissed off at me for no apparent reason. Female + :drink: =:mad: :whine: :barf: :slap: :gr_devil: :cry: :( all at the same time, and makes me :bomb:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RealDeal said:
LOL... same thing that got my girlfriend pissed off at me for no apparent reason. Female + :drink: =:mad: :whine: :barf: :slap: :gr_devil: :cry: :( all at the same time, and makes me :bomb:
lol I bought a round of jager bombs for 9 people twice.... and a handle of grey goose. No longer will I go to a bar with my credit card, and debit card in hand.

·
929 Posts
It's wise to be the poorest person at the bar... haha.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So we got this on, realdeal did most of the work. It wasn't too bad of an install process, it was my drive from here down that was bad. On the way down there was a ice cooler laying in the middle of the road, which nearly caused a pileup. On the way back some guy attempted to run me off the road, in his piece of crap he was driving... guess it was jealousy.

·
929 Posts
Went nice and smooth! I was on my way back when some Explorer with a trailer and some crap on the back started dropping rocks off at every bump. I think I passed him/her at about 120 and luckily evaded the rocks.

Good to meet you again SS!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RealDeal said:
Went nice and smooth! I was on my way back when some Explorer with a trailer and some crap on the back started dropping rocks off at every bump. I think I passed him/her at about 120 and luckily evaded the rocks.

Good to meet you again SS!
Yea man when the guy tried to run me off the road i was on 295, I locked up the brakes, missed him. Then I just pounded the gas, I took it up to 140, cause I figured this guy wasn't good to be around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts