LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just looking around thinking about suspension mods that i am going to do when i return from the sandbox next year. and pedders is definately the way that i am going to go. i am thinking the track II is a nice package. my question is. it seems that no one ever installs it themselves. most people go and pay almost what the parts cost theselves to have these kits installed. are they really that hard to install. what i was thinking i could install everything myself and just go and get the front and rear cradle alignment along with a 4 wheel alignment. what does everyone else think on this

·
Can't have enough V8s
1,932 Posts
I was thinking the same and wondering how difficult it is.

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
well it's not so much the difficulty but the precision. and the tools they have avalabie. and the warrenty. and they have to balance everything out just right which dealerships can't even do.

·
ohios 1st N only 9 second GTO
437 Posts
hi i think your waistin your time and money,i could see if the car was old and warn out rubber parts but they are new put a drive shaft and a set of drag bags also frame ties..done all this to my car and made the most improvement,if i changed anything i would get the new mount for the rear end thats all..my cars running 11 pulling 1.7 60fts with nittoes..best of luck RC

·
Member of the 500+ RWHP Club!
1,142 Posts
Let someone else install it! Its a full 8 hour job for someone who knows how to do it. I just had mine done and i popped in from time to time to see the progress, it would take you a week. Theres 2 bushings in the rear that you cant get out. Then theres the aligning of the cradles. I wouldnt attempt it, and I was dumb enough to do headers on jack stands in the garage!

The track 2 set up is absolutly incrediable!!!!

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
The bushings I have done arent bad. I dont kno about the other stuff

·
Sold August 10 2007
2,593 Posts
RKT SHP said:
i was just looking around thinking about suspension mods that i am going to do when i return from the sandbox next year. and pedders is definately the way that i am going to go. i am thinking the track II is a nice package. my question is. it seems that no one ever installs it themselves. most people go and pay almost what the parts cost theselves to have these kits installed. are they really that hard to install. what i was thinking i could install everything myself and just go and get the front and rear cradle alignment along with a 4 wheel alignment. what does everyone else think on this
If you have the tools, a GTO shop manual no reason why you can't do it yourself. There are a number of reasons why people pay to have it done...

1) If you live in apartments you don't even have a place to work on your car so you really have no choice but to take it in.
2) Not everybody has the tools and a set of shop manuals
3) Some people have done it before and would rather not do it again
4) Some people have no interest in working on their own car and can afford to have it done.
5) Some people want to but don't have the experience or anyone to show them how and have tried projects before only to have them fail.

You can certainly do the work at home, if you have, shop manuals, air tools (you can use hand tools just takes longer) and a hydraulic press it will go faster, otherwise some items may need to be taken to local shops to get them pressed out (not a fan of burning anything out or hacking at it and scoring up the metal). You can also get spring compressors (rent) from Auto Zone very cheaply.

And like you say ..... just go get your alignment right away and you should be fine. I did mine at home.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
Even if I had most of the tools and some garage space I would proabably still take mine in. Shop presses are cheap, you can rent the rear cradle tool, and the front cradle can be aligned with a tape measure.

Part of my job is finishing projects other people started (over in my non-automotive narrow specialty) and I hate that. To get my work to come out right, I mean RIGHT, I generally have to take everything all the way back apart to wherever the first mistake was made. That generally means all the way back to where the first piece went in.

OTOH, 1stGOATs car came out GREAT. If you have a decent mechanical background, and the time and patience, along with the space and the tools, there is no reason you can't do it at home.

·
Don't drink the Kool-Aid...
2,889 Posts
swmn said:
you can rent the rear cradle tool, and the front cradle can be aligned with a tape measure.
You can? From who? Does someone here have a rental thingy going on similar to Sean's fender roller deal? Details please?

Oh?! Btw... I did mine at home! B+G's, Koni's, rear eccentric bushings... would I do it again? ehhh, probably so since I know what expect. Beside that, I'm cheap and it would kill me to pay for work I can do myself ;)

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
Havoc said:
You can? From who? Does someone here have a rental thingy going on similar to Sean's fender roller deal? Details please?
Lemme make that 'used to could'. There was an individual who owns a rear cradle tool and had it up for rent on eBay. I think the deal was you send in $200, he loans you the tool, you return the tool, and then he refunded like $100 or $150. "GTO cradle" just now doesn't hit on eBay.

Also, one of the Pedder's dealers, at least used to, would loan/ship his spare rear cradle tool if you bought a big enough box of bushings. Come to think of it, I have not seen that offer posted lately.

I sort of wonder if one or both of those tools might have been twisted out of spec. They are pretty stout, but they are still precision instruments. It can't be good for them to be shipping them back and forth cross country.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I installed Pedders struts, shocks, springs, full set of bushings, & sway bars in my garage. The install was not "hard" for me, but it really depends on your own confidence and mechanical skill level. The insatll took the better part of the day, but reading all I could from these forums and talking with "Justice Pete" and having a GM shop manual really helped me with the gray area questions. There are really no special tools required but you will need a pretty good selection of mechanics tools in your possession. After you're done with the install, a 4 wheel alignment and a cradle alignment is highly recommended.

·
Registered
118 Posts
VegasLightz said:
I installed Pedders struts, shocks, springs, full set of bushings, & sway bars in my garage. The install was not "hard" for me, but it really depends on your own confidence and mechanical skill level. The insatll took the better part of the day, but reading all I could from these forums and talking with "Justice Pete" and having a GM shop manual really helped me with the gray area questions. There are really no special tools required but you will need a pretty good selection of mechanics tools in your possession. After you're done with the install, a 4 wheel alignment and a cradle alignment is highly recommended.

+1.
I just installed mine over the weekend. The worst of it was getting the bushing out of the rear trailing arms. Understandably everyone is concerned you need the right tools. Air tools are a plus but not necessary. The alignment tools are a plus but I plan on taking mine to the dealership. I figured I would rather spare the cost of a shop doing it for 8hours @ a rate between $40-$120 (location dependant). I previously had the alignment done and it was under $200. Just doing the math you can estimate a huge savings. Take your time and have confidence. I rather enjoyed doing the work myself. Just brings me and my goats bond that much closer :driving:

·
Dynos still rule the earth!
962 Posts
rcsfastmonte said:
hi i think your waistin your time and money,i could see if the car was old and warn out rubber parts but they are new put a drive shaft and a set of drag bags also frame ties..done all this to my car and made the most improvement,if i changed anything i would get the new mount for the rear end thats all..my cars running 11 pulling 1.7 60fts with nittoes..best of luck RC
It's not a waste at all. I still have coil overs and rear springs to do but even with what I have done so far it is a night and day difference.

Anyone that has not done it should. You will not believe how much better the car drives!

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Being the largest pedders dealer in the U.S., I think it is about 50/50 on installs. If you have some good tools, and knowledge, and a weekend, you should be able to do it. But you must have a great understanding in what you are doing. Watching my GTO tech do it, he makes it look so easy kinda like watching a pro golfer wack a ball 375 yards.

But the disadvantage you have is the alignment tools. there are only about 5 front cradle align tools in the country, and few dealers know anything about the rear cradle align tool.

mike
dms

·
962 Posts
dms said:
Being the largest pedders dealer in the U.S., I think it is about 50/50 on installs. If you have some good tools, and knowledge, and a weekend, you should be able to do it. But you must have a great understanding in what you are doing. Watching my GTO tech do it, he makes it look so easy kinda like watching a pro golfer wack a ball 375 yards.

But the disadvantage you have is the alignment tools. there are only about 5 front cradle align tools in the country, and few dealers know anything about the rear cradle align tool.

mike
dms
As I posted in another thread, anyone that has not had the cradle's aligned, should.

After you did my car I can not believe the difference it made! I didn't even think there was anything wrong and as you know the only reason I did it was for the rubbing on those new wheels (by the way Mike thanks for taking care of that grind for me, it is now perfect.), anyway, other than the rubbing I thought my car handled great but after the cradle's where done it is like driving a slot car :D

PS, Mike, I have decided on the coil overs so I can adjust the front hiegth to my liking. Do you have them in stock? I'll come by a week from Monday if you can get me in.

·
TACHNUP
2,310 Posts
swmn said:
...you can rent the rear cradle tool, and the front cradle can be aligned with a tape measure...
Havoc said:
You can? From who? Does someone here have a rental thingy going on similar to Sean's fender roller deal? Details please?...
Check with your local Pontiac dealer and ask if they have the tool (Kent-Moore CH-46839). They may let you borrow it over a weekend.

·
962 Posts
itslow said:
Check with your local Pontiac dealer and ask if they have the tool (Kent-Moore CH-46839). They may let you borrow it over a weekend.
The dealer in Palm Springs didn't even know what it was. Scratched his head and looked at me like I was stupid. I now won't let them check the air in my tires!

·
2005 GTO m6
756 Posts
rcsfastmonte said:
The cars night and day after the suspension. Even in a straight line, the car doesn't waste time transferring weight back to front like a stock car does. It feels alot faster with the suspension only and I am sure it actually is faster but have no before and after to prove it, just SOTP. Where you really notice the difference is out on the highway as your just driving along and decide to change lanes to get around slower traffic. You find yourself doing it alot more WITH the track II then w/o it. I can actually draft a C5 through a twisty canyon road and the brakes seem to work better as well. The axle hop is almost completely eliminated. Basically, it transforms the whole car to a much higher level. Downside is that you have less articulation left in the suspension before you hit the stops, so it wil slam pretty hard if the road is bad. Basically, you need to drive one and compare it to your stock car to really appreciate how much of a change it is. Even with all the power your car has, you would be hard pressed to catch my car on a track or even on the highway because its about 2x as nimble and it inspires alot more confidence over the stock setup.

SAm

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
GTO4SHO said:
As I posted in another thread, anyone that has not had the cradle's aligned, should.

After you did my car I can not believe the difference it made! I didn't even think there was anything wrong and as you know the only reason I did it was for the rubbing on those new wheels (by the way Mike thanks for taking care of that grind for me, it is now perfect.), anyway, other than the rubbing I thought my car handled great but after the cradle's where done it is like driving a slot car :D

PS, Mike, I have decided on the coil overs so I can adjust the front hiegth to my liking. Do you have them in stock? I'll come by a week from Monday if you can get me in.
I have them in stock

mike
dms

·
TACHNUP
2,310 Posts
GTO4SHO said:
The dealer in Palm Springs didn't even know what it was. Scratched his head and looked at me like I was stupid. I now won't let them check the air in my tires!
They may not even know if they have the tool if you simply tell them something like, "Rear Cradle Adjustment Tool for GTO". Chances are they haven't even used it yet. Instead, provide them with the Kent-Moore tool number. If they have the tool, they should have a record of it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts