LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contemplating a dry or wet kit for my stock 04 100-150 shot. If I just sprayed at the track..20-30 runs per year..3 or 4 times a month on the street..you think the motor would still be ok after 50k miles? Right now I have 14k on it. Thanks in advance for your answers!:comp:

·
Semper Fi
4,857 Posts
as long as you've got the tune dialed in you shouldnt do any damage at all...

Tune and cooler plugs are important for longevity.

That..and make sure youre not spraying at low RPMs.. 3000 and above to be safe.

about 30K miles on my car with over 40 15lb bottles through it....

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Tiresmoker said:
Contemplating a dry or wet kit for my stock 04 100-150 shot. If I just sprayed at the track..20-30 runs per year..3 or 4 times a month on the street..you think the motor would still be ok after 50k miles? Right now I have 14k on it. Thanks in advance for your answers!:comp:
It's all in the tune/jetting. Nitrous is harder on an M6 than it is an auto as far as the tranny is concerned. Set-up properly the Ls1's LOVE a 100 shot!

·
Ex 350 Z owner
327 Posts
Smitty's05GTO said:
Hello, my name is Smitty.....and i'm a nitro-holic. :drink:
Just step away from the bottle Smitty and we wont shoot:gears:

·
mid-11 second club
1,151 Posts
i have used about 10-12 10lb bottles, with not a flinch in the motor.....40k miles

doesnt really compare to smitty......just thuaght i'd give you some more confidence in your decision.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Smitty's05GTO said:
Hello, my name is Smitty.....and i'm a nitro-holic. :drink:
You too!!!

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Scott said:
More so on the clutch, than on the trans.
I'm talking more about driveline shock, but yes, it's tough on the clutch too.

·
It's simple physics
3,733 Posts
How long does your 10 pound last? How many full passes or street runs do you get out of it? Also, how much did you guys pay for your complete set up (all the little incidentals, etc...). I'm considering putting on a 50 shot.

LR

·
Stand Back - I Spray!
693 Posts
Magnified said:
How long does your 10 pound last? How many full passes or street runs do you get out of it? Also, how much did you guys pay for your complete set up (all the little incidentals, etc...). I'm considering putting on a 50 shot.

LR
Don't waste your time on a 50 shot.....just not worth it. 100 is a very safe shot for an LS1/2. Just start there and then decide if you want to go up or not.

Rule of thumb is about 1 pound per pass per 100 shot. The less in the bottle though the less hard is starts hitting. So.....figure on a good 5 hard runs before you start progressively losing a bit per run until you're empty.

Plan on spending close to $1000 for a good basic kit, purge, window switch, bottle heater, etc......

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
Have you considered Methanol? It's cheaper, safer, and you don't have to worry about any nitrous bottles. You can even use your windshield washer container for the Methanol. Heck, you can even use the washer fluid as a substitute for the meth. (as long as it's a 50/50 mixture) I was going to go the Nitrous way, but changed my mind and going with the "nol". Just a thought and another option to ponder.

ROK

·
Still not Mexican.
1,278 Posts
ROKS ROCKET said:
Have you considered Methanol? It's cheaper, safer, and you don't have to worry about any nitrous bottles. You can even use your windshield washer container for the Methanol. Heck, you can even use the washer fluid as a substitute for the meth. (as long as it's a 50/50 mixture) I was going to go the Nitrous way, but changed my mind and going with the "nol". Just a thought and another option to ponder.

ROK

Tell me more. I am not familiar with nol. Links?

·
The Situation
3,358 Posts
I know someone who sprayed a 150 shot of n20 on an LT1 for 70k miles before he had any issues, and this was like a bottle a week type spraying. As long as all of the safety precations are in place it will be just fine.

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
Nitrous will eat up a driveline before it eats up a motor if tuned correctly. :ftw:

·
Stand Back - I Spray!
693 Posts
Blown_Red_97z said:
I know someone who sprayed a 150 shot of n20 on an LT1 for 70k miles before he had any issues, and this was like a bottle a week type spraying. As long as all of the safety precations are in place it will be just fine.
Got that beat. Running nitrous on my '99 vette with 123,000+ miles.......:gears:

·
Stand Back - I Spray!
693 Posts
ROKS ROCKET said:

ROK

:sneaky:

Methanol is not a power adder in itself like nitrous is. Methanol merely allows you to run more timing, more compression, more boost, etc. You need other mods for methanol to make a difference. It's not comparable to nitrous at all.

·
The Situation
3,358 Posts
x-zz4 said:
Got that beat. Running nitrous on my '99 vette with 123,000+ miles.......:gears:

this was from like 30k miles to 100k miles, but yea spraying a car with 123k and not having issues means your motor is in pretty good shape :gears:

·
It's simple physics
3,733 Posts
x-zz4 said:
Don't waste your time on a 50 shot.....just not worth it. 100 is a very safe shot for an LS1/2. Just start there and then decide if you want to go up or not.

Rule of thumb is about 1 pound per pass per 100 shot. The less in the bottle though the less hard is starts hitting. So.....figure on a good 5 hard runs before you start progressively losing a bit per run until you're empty.

Plan on spending close to $1000 for a good basic kit, purge, window switch, bottle heater, etc......
I was considering the 50 not only for the power addition qualities but for the charge cooling effect as well. Running a Magnacharger now, I was leery of slapping on a full 100 right away.

Also, what kind of tuning do you have to do to make that level safe? When you're not spraying (which would be most of the time for me), does the tune set up for the spray rob power in non-spray mode?

Seriously looking for expert input on this topic. Appreciate all the help!

LR

1 - 20 of 23 Posts