LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use the short i sound as in nit because of the two tt's. However I have also heard it pronounced with a long i as in Night. Since I will be shopping for tires soon I don't want to appear like a total dweeb. I want to let them figure it out on their own.
:drink::drink:

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
I've always pronounced it
knit-O

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I give funny looks to everybody.

·
Gentlemen, behold!
160 Posts
If you ever have a question like that just call the manufacturer. When they answer the phone you'll find out. :p

In this particualr case the correct pronuciation is nit-oh, just as it's spelled.

-Chris

·
Registered
86 Posts
Chrisbequick said:
If you ever have a question like that just call the manufacturer. When they answer the phone you'll find out. :p

In this particualr case the correct pronuciation is nit-oh, just as it's spelled.

-Chris
FWIW I have a degree in Japanese and it's Pronounced "Knee-Toe" Pause before makeing the "T" sound and add extra emphasis to the "T". That said Japanese words get butchered over here in the States and eventually it's just easier to "go with the flow" and allow your customers to dictate how to pronounce it. To that end 99% of those I've heard, pronounce it "knit-oh" so incorrect or not, Nitto isn't about to go around changing what their customer call the company.

You see this a lot with Japanese words, for instance:

Tokyo is actually pronounced "Toe-Kyo" Two Sylabals, but Americans mispronounce it as "Toe-Kee-Oh". when a Japanese person is speaking here in English they will pronounce it "Toe-Kee-Oh" instead of "Toe-Kyo" as that is how it is pronounced in English. Likewise The way we pronounce "Munich" in Germany is different from how a German pronounces "Munchin". In Italy if you say "Florence" they have no clue where you're talking about, to them it's "Firenze".

Okay, off the soap box, I just saw this thread and couldn't resist commenting.

[Lurking]Adam [/Lurking]

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Chrisbequick said:

-Chris
Very interesting, because I've seen 2 interviews on TV with executives from the company and it was neeto's. One of them was actually asked how to pronounce it - he said 'neeto' was correct, but in the US they knew it went by nit-o and either way people knew what they were.
Dan

·
Registered
86 Posts
humbler said:
Just like Nees-an versus Nees-on. Nissan is Nees-an!
Actually it is correctly pronounced as "Knee-San"

Nitto and Nissan are pronounced in a similar fashion. "Ni" in Japanese is allways pronounced "Knee". A Double constanant like "TT" or "SS" effectively means you add a little emphasis and trip of over the letter a little. So "TTO" is pronounced like "TOE". "SSA" Is just like "SA"

All Sylabals in Japanese end in a vowel with the exception of "N" as in "NI-SSAN" or "HON-DA". Sometimes a sylabal may sound like it ends in a trailing "S" sound but that's actually "SU" like in "IKIMASU" which sounds like it's pronounced "EE-KEY-MAH-S"

Anyhow its a fairly straight forward easy to pronounce language. Now reading it can be a bear.

-Adam

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shinkaze said:
FWIW I have a degree in Japanese and it's Pronounced "Knee-Toe" Pause before makeing the "T" sound and add extra emphasis to the "T".
Neat-O
Sorry I couldn't help myself.

:drink::drink:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It can be pronounced either way, depending on where you are.

I've always called then "Knit-Oh" but I hear just as many call it "Neat-oh" per the way it's pronounced in Japan.

·
Stroker Ace
125 Posts
Shinkaze said:
FWIW I have a degree in Japanese and it's Pronounced "Knee-Toe" Pause before makeing the "T" sound and add extra emphasis to the "T". That said Japanese words get butchered over here in the States and eventually it's just easier to "go with the flow" and allow your customers to dictate how to pronounce it. To that end 99% of those I've heard, pronounce it "knit-oh" so incorrect or not, Nitto isn't about to go around changing what their customer call the company.

You see this a lot with Japanese words, for instance:

Tokyo is actually pronounced "Toe-Kyo" Two Sylabals, but Americans mispronounce it as "Toe-Kee-Oh". when a Japanese person is speaking here in English they will pronounce it "Toe-Kee-Oh" instead of "Toe-Kyo" as that is how it is pronounced in English. Likewise The way we pronounce "Munich" in Germany is different from how a German pronounces "Munchin". In Italy if you say "Florence" they have no clue where you're talking about, to them it's "Firenze".

Okay, off the soap box, I just saw this thread and couldn't resist commenting.

[Lurking]Adam [/Lurking]

Exactlly!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts