LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and 1 straight pipe?? I had a bad cat and had to hollow it out so I could drive the car. I am calling SLP in the AM to order a new one, but what I want to know is will this be bad for the car to run like this for a few days till I get the new one???

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,749 Posts
GM should of replaced your bad one...

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scyry said:
GM should of replaced your bad one...

the bad one is the aftermarket one from SLP, I'm sure SLP would have replaced it under warranty, but I had to pull the broken peices out for fear of damage done with them still in there/its my DD and I needed to do something to fix it for now. I'm just worried that she'll be running too lean or something if it takes a week or two for SLP to get me a new one regardless if its under warranty or out of my pocket.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Did yo uhave your rear o2's dleted when tuned? If so, you should not worry about going rich or lean. The computer will just make adjustments by using the front o2's. I would be careful if you are still using the rear o2's. Don't be driving the car too hard. Get the replacement as soon as you can. The car should be fine.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Black Devil said:
Did yo uhave your rear o2's dleted when tuned? If so, you should not worry about going rich or lean. The computer will just make adjustments by using the front o2's. I would be careful if you are still using the rear o2's. Don't be driving the car too hard. Get the replacement as soon as you can. The car should be fine.
No, rear O2's are gone ;) Yeah, I'm not going to be hard on her, but we'll see!

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
I woudlnt' run it too long like that, you have more back pressure on one bank of cylinders, while its not much back pressure you might as well just be running straight pipes on both sides anyway.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered the cat and its in stock, they said it will be out to me in a few days, I'm just not going to get on her, thats all.... I don't have mich of a choice and I'm not going to chip out the other cat when one is comming soon.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Did SLP take care of it? Or, did you have to buy it?

·
Driving the Legend
2,657 Posts
but yet your tuned for no cats?? whats the point of keeping them in there then?

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update.

The new cat is on and done.... What a PITA to get the old one off!!!! and not to mention, the new one on.

The cat is different though then my old one... maybe I wasn't the only one having issues with the old style cat for them to change it.... (SLP)

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
truckracer said:
I would not worry about running cats only unless you emission inspections in your area. Cats are only a hinderance to HP, However great the newer low restriction cats, they are and always will be a form of restriction.

If you cat melted down then your tune needs to be checked or any malfunctioning engine parts such as coil packs, plugs, plug wires, engine misfire?, Is COT turned off?

:gears:
I'm runing cats because I need to keep my car to Illinois code with work and there are rummors of impending visual inspections to come in Illinois, so that was the other reason. The tune is fine, it was a tack weld that broke inside the cat that allowed the retainer ring to fall off and make the entire cat material rattle around as one peice. The ceramic/porcelin/what ever... looked brand new when I took it off, it was just loose in there with no way to secure it.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
truckracer said:
I would not worry about running cats only unless you emission inspections in your area. Cats are only a hinderance to HP, However great the newer low restriction cats, they are and always will be a form of restriction.

:gears:
I run catless b/c of the sound. They muffle it too much. Now if there was a type available that did not change the sound, and allow for the same loudness, I would buy a set.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.