LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having my car dynoed again this weekend if weather permits (Damn Tropical Storm Ivan) and I was curious if anyone had dynoed there car with just an LS1edit? OR an LS1edit and a CAI? What type of power jump can you see from just an LS1 Edit?

·
Registered
104 Posts
do all dyno shops have the ls1edit. I live near springfield, mo there is only one place that has a dyno around here. Just wondering:)

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
gmsgto said:
do all dyno shops have the ls1edit. I live near springfield, mo there is only one place that has a dyno around here. Just wondering:)
When I had my 97 Z28 I took it to Kenny Brown performance. We did a club
dyno, but they have no tuning capabilities at the shop. They gave me
a name of a shop just north of Indy to get it done. So no most shops do
not have the software to do the tune, at least in my experience.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, that's what I'm looking for roughly 30 hp and with another 10 to 15 with the CAI. We'll see and they will dyno it and I'll post the numbers

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ls1edit can do everything you can imagine. More then the hpp3 or all the others. Most places are going to charge you to tune, and most are pretty expensive. I bought a 4 license copy with a buddy of mine and we tune our cars ourselves.

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
If your air/fuel ratios are ok, the dyno tune will not net you much HP. You can lean it out to get a good dyno number, but it'll hurt at the track. Go to a tuner that has proven track results, I'd rather win a race than be a dyno queen anyday. You will gain from the removal of torque management, especially in an A4. Dyno tuning the car will only benefit you if you have mods that require re-tuning. If you're just going to get a program change to remove tm and adjust fan settings, don't go for a full dyno tune. I'm sure others will disagree with my opinions, but they probably haven't put a stock internals LS1(C5) with bolt-ons into the 11s either :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
I agree, if you want to see dyno queens hit any ricer dyno. There was an ls1 shop here that changed over and now just ricers hit it. I swear he has that dyno "fixed" to show higher then actual hp. A ford focus I just happen to spank on the way to his dyno had the dyno sheet showing above 600hp. Sure 600hp with probably 100 rwtq. If you can't push it, no reason have all that HP. Other then on the dyno. :D

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
600whp Focus? ROFL, unless its got a 351 under the hood... (Seen a video of a spanktastic fast Focus with a 351 recently. Talk about sleeper, if you dont notice the loud rumble of the engine or exhaust.)

Try MC Racing in Kansas City. I've dyno'd there at least a few times in my old car and their numbers are accurate no matter what you drive. I dont doubt they have access to the necessary hardware and software to properly tune an LS1.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I agree, only tune if you need it. You can lean it out slightly, but don't expect near 30hp with just a tune on a bolt-on car. Most M6's are puting down in the neighborhood of 285-290whp. Expecting your car to put down in the 320's and then another 10-15 just isn't realistic and setting yourself up for a big letdown. Do everything else out of a tune. Adjust shift points, firmness of shifts, raise revlimit, cags delete, but just know that a "good tune" will make the car run better as opposed to shooting for hp #'s.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Got nothing over the shorties with the LT's? I'm hoping to get some more power. I think to really make more power it lies in the runner length and the size of the collector.The stock collector is only 1.75" IIRC and on a H/C car or FI induction car for that matter it's gotta be worth some hp's by swithing out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gtodoug said:
I agree, only tune if you need it. You can lean it out slightly, but don't expect near 30hp with just a tune on a bolt-on car. Most M6's are puting down in the neighborhood of 285-290whp. Expecting your car to put down in the 320's and then another 10-15 just isn't realistic and setting yourself up for a big letdown. Do everything else out of a tune. Adjust shift points, firmness of shifts, raise revlimit, cags delete, but just know that a "good tune" will make the car run better as opposed to shooting for hp #'s.
Yeah, I wasn't really expecting 340rwhp. With the two modifications and maybe a third which would be the SLP Pulley, I was expecting around 330rwhp. Was just curious what to expect from the LS1edit itself. Going on the info from the CAI and The pulley rwhp, I can only assume that I am looking at 20rwhp t/-. Because of the weather I couldn't get my car dyno'd this weekend so using my old dyno numbers which my car dyno'd at 289.6 hot out of traffic from an hour long drive to the shop, my car should have roughly 310 rwhp without the edit. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
104 Posts
ok well everybody you talk to says that the ls1 is very de-tuned. So wouldn't mean that somebody who knew what they were doing would be able to bring it back to life. I am going to get an ls1edit this weekend and for only $300 bucks it is cheaper than buy a diablo, and there is somebody there who knows what they are doing and not guessing.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Actually, I found out the other night that LS1Edit doesn't have a program out for the GTO. What was used on Pete's, many other's and Mine, was HP Tuners. The wiz behind that is Keith who is a local here.

Our LS1's aren't necessarily "detuned". All factory programming is "detuned" to some degree as a happy compromise between performance, reliability and driveability. The problem is the factory programming on our cars specifically is that it's erradic. The '04 ZO6's have had a similar problem. Even mine went screwy and with mods, I actually dynoed less than I did stock.

I was down to 283 at the rears, installed the SW Long Tubes and had it tuned. I am now at 330rwhp. So I gained back nearly 50rwhp between the headers and the tuning.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Even mine went screwy and with mods, I actually dynoed less than I did stock.

I was down to 283 at the rears, installed the SW Long Tubes and had it tuned. I am now at 330rwhp. So I gained back nearly 50rwhp between the headers and the tuning.
This is some dam good info. I think everyone should learn from this. If your
gonna put mods on you better get them tuned, or you might have this happen to you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My dyno shop told me the gto program for ls1edit will be shipped out the first of october. Are you saying that if you don't mod the car the ls1edit won't help you any.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts