LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my GTO ( A4 ) this Saturday, and she now has 200 miles. Everyone seems to say good things about having a custom tune, especially for auto trans cars. I was wondering what kind of miles would you guys advise having on the car before the tune.
I'm not looking for anything to radical, just something to firm up the shiftpoints.
Thanks in advance...
Eddie :)

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
if all you want is something to firm up the shift points, then you might wanna look into getting the Predator. it will be a little cheaper. and it will give you the ability to return to stock tune when/if you need. it is a VERY popular mod for the A4 guys

if you are really interested in getting a custom tune, then you might wanna save your $$$ until you do a more significant mod like headers or a head/cam. this will keep you from spending the ~$500, twice. it will also help you get the MOST for your money.JMO.

in terms of when to start tuning. im not really sure on that one. my own personal opinion would be wait a few thousand miles. but that might not be necessary.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Predator is definately an option, but is it to soon with only a 200 miles on the car?
BTW I'm from Chicago too. NW Side

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
phantasmGTO said:
The Predator is definately an option, but is it to soon with only a 200 miles on the car?
BTW I'm from Chicago too. NW Side
ah sweet. another chicago guy. welcome

i dont really know what the "recommended" mileage is for a tune. some guys on the forum would probably tell you to just do the tune now. others will probably say to wait. i guess its sort of depends on anxious/aggressive you are feeling about modding.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Just my opinion here. I would wait for a few thousand miles, and I would save my money for HP tuners if you are gonna do any more than the basic bolt-ons(exhaust,CAI)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/QUOTE]
ah sweet. another chicago guy. welcome
For 32 years! Every winter gets harder and harder......

i dont really know what the "recommended" mileage is for a tune. some guys on the forum would probably tell you to just do the tune now. others will probably say to wait. i guess its sort of depends on anxious/aggressive you are feeling about modding.
I kinda feel like I SHOULD get some more miles on the Goat before I do a tune. Just don't know if I can wait...... :)

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
JayStew said:
Just my opinion here. I would wait for a few thousand miles, and I would save my money for HP tuners if you are gonna do any more than the basic bolt-ons(exhaust,CAI)
yes, but HP tuners will not do phantasm one bit of good unless he is familiar with tuning. it is very important for people to realize that the use of this product requires some experience and know how.

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
If you go with a Predator - go with someone that offers cutom tunes as part of the deal.

IMO go with RWTD - James over there has worked on a couple of GTOs already and knows how to set it up for you. The best part is that the tunes are free if you buy the unit from him.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Pontiac GTO said:
If it were me i'd wait till the first oil change.
He already has 200 miles on the car..... LOL that is when I did *MY* first oil change. Switched to Mobil 1 at the same time as well :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to talk to the guy's at Speed Inc. and see what they say. I would rather not tune it myself...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tonight?.... I am on vacation right now, I was actually planning on heading up to Speed Inc tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That sounds good, unfortunately I am having some friends over in a little bit....... I would have really liked to talk with you guy's too. D'oh!!
Thanks though!! :)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
You can tune the car whenever you want! The tune has no bearing on "break in" of the car. Your driving is what determines that.

I honestly wouldn't waste dime one on any of these boxed programmers. Spend that $350 for an hour on a dyno and get it done right the first time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As above mentioned I took a ride to Speed Inc. today. I had a "mild tune" put on the car...Got rid of the torque mgmt and had the fans set to come on earlier. No change was made to the trans shift pressure, as I was told A4 longevity could become an issue.
Bottom line, the car shifts harder and feels more responsive. Very Happy with it. BTW I also had the mufflers removed....Poor mans loudmouth! :)

-Eddie

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Welcom to the nut house.. You may want to save those mufflers. If you go to headers the car is LOUD with the mufflers. obnoxious without. Make sure you keep your eyes on the midwest forum. we gather quite a bit.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
With headers it's loud you say? I couldn't hear you. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts