LS1GTO Forums banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I've still got my '04 on the road (occasionally) 22k on the clock.

·
1 of 40,757
6,643 Posts
When I looked at mine today it was the first time I felt I wouldn't be heartbroken selling it. I quickly realized I would be heart broken once it wasn't there anymore.
Really want to figure out the vibration bullshit.

Another drive shaft to try would be nice (shouldnt have taken the original apart). Last thing I want to do is spend money verifying its balanced. Easier then pulling the trans to verify the clutch is balanced (doubtful). Only thing that makes me suspicious about the clutch is I bought the flywheel separate from the LS7 clutch kit. Both clutch and driveshaft were replaced at the same time so it's hard to determine which caused it. Motor and trans mounts replaced after with the hopes of quelling the vibes (no difference). Le sigh.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
When I looked at mine today it was the first time I felt I wouldn't be heartbroken selling it. I quickly realized I would be heart broken once it wasn't there anymore.
Really want to figure out the vibration bullshit.

Another drive shaft to try would be nice (shouldnt have taken the original apart). Last thing I want to do is spend money verifying its balanced. Easier then pulling the trans to verify the clutch is balanced (doubtful). Only thing that makes me suspicious about the clutch is I bought the flywheel separate from the LS7 clutch kit. Both clutch and driveshaft were replaced at the same time so it's hard to determine which caused it. Motor and trans mounts replaced after with the hopes of quelling the vibes (no difference). Le sigh.
How bad is your vibration? I tried replacjng the carrier bearing/guibos myself too but didnt find it helped any. The CF one piece helped but i chalk that up to it being lighter. I know id like to try a DSS 2 piece too but not at the expense of ordering one and it not helping.

When i get to it im going to replace the subframe bushing/diff mount and see what happens

·
1 of 40,757
6,643 Posts
How bad is your vibration? I tried replacjng the carrier bearing/guibos myself too but didnt find it helped any. The CF one piece helped but i chalk that up to it being lighter. I know id like to try a DSS 2 piece too but not at the expense of ordering one and it not helping.

When i get to it im going to replace the subframe bushing/diff mount and see what happens
I think I might have thought I was in a different thread. :drunk:

Bad enough that I feel like something is wrong and I shouldn't be driving the car hard.
There was none of this vibration before the clutch and driveshaft.

If I know what I do now I would have spent the extra on the 2 piece. Selling this 1 piece to go with the upgrade would be a pain and I really don't think a 1 piece DS should be causing such an issue. It would be nice to have the driveshaft out of the equation though.

1 thing I wonder about. How far up into the trans should the yoke go into the transmission. LMGTFM.
Mine is practically all the way. I can still get the flange onto the diff but its tight.

I'll make a thread somewhere else one of these days. Have all winter to play with it.

[Edit] First time I've googled "How far up into the trans should the yoke go into the transmission" and everything I read says 1" clearance.

I'm going to have to check that out and look into whether or not our rear suspension pushes or pulls on the drive shaft at the trans during suspension movement.

[edit] now that I think about it, other than engine and trans movement, Besides bushings the diff is solidly bolted to the chassis.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
461 Posts
So anyone here truly daily driving their car? I drive mine daily in the summer only.

Anyone have a 365 day driver? Just curious.

·
Administrator
8,839 Posts
Used to have an 04 YJ that was my year round daily from 2008-2011. Fun times.

Current ones are fair weather toys only.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
So anyone here truly daily driving their car? I drive mine daily in the summer only.

Anyone have a 365 day driver? Just curious.
yes but mine isnt clean like some of the guys. rain/snow i drive it to work (snowed last friday and i drove in). washed it off yesterday finally though

·
Registered
29 Posts
I daily mine. I live in the north near Chicago. The only time I don't drive it is in the summer when I sometimes drive my 2015 Camaro Z/28. I have owned my GTO since new and have driven it through about 11 winters. I had stored it and driven it very little for about 5 years but started driving it again everyday since I bought my Z/28.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
i will add that i am on 245s
I daily mine. I live in the north near Chicago. The only time I don't drive it is in the summer when I sometimes drive my 2015 Camaro Z/28. I have owned my GTO since new and have driven it through about 11 winters. I had stored it and driven it very little for about 5 years but started driving it again everyday since I bought my Z/28.
These cars do quite well in the snow imo. Im still on 245 all seasons and will definitely stay that way for winter driving.

Wouldnt mind having a summer wheel with more tire though

·
Registered
29 Posts
i will add that i am on 245s

These cars do quite well in the snow imo. Im still on 245 all seasons and will definitely stay that way for winter driving.

Wouldnt mind having a summer wheel with more tire though
I run snow tires on the back and all seasons in the front during the winter. I have a set of summer wheels and tires for warm weather. With the posi in the back and the snow tires I do quite well in the snow. The only thing I half to watch out for is snow deeper than about 5 inches. I will get stuck over 5 inches deep since the car sits so low.

·
The Old Goat
2006 Pontiac GTO
93 Posts
195,000 miles and all weather daily (as much as I drive since I retired). I have Pilot Sports in summer and Blizzaks in the winter. Get it washed and underflushed any time I get winter grime and salt. Only problem other than road rash is I had to clean off some rust on the bottom of the passenger door where the factory left a gap in the bottom fold and it started to bubble up. Cleaned it, encapsulated it, sealed it, and repainted it. Good to go. Drive it till I drop.

·
Registered
Monaro, Ute, Commodore wagon
132 Posts
You think they're rare to see in the US? In the UK we only got about 300 of each model (5.7 and 6.0), fortunately we have a website that uses tje government figures to at least give an approximate idea of how many are still on the road.

Have had mine 10 years and other than driving to / from meets, I've only ever seen 1 other on the road...

101 - 120 of 140 Posts