LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can the IRS of the GTO handle? I know a lot of Cobra's break their halfshafts from wheel hop and too much power. Do the GTO's suffer from the same problem or are these things built to handle lots of power?

Thanks

·
got rice?
480 Posts
Since no one else has responded I'm gonna take an educated guess and say yes.
This is because the Australians are V8 crazy. If they're V8 crazy then it's obvious that they also race out there. If they race out there then I'm gonna also guess that their rears have improved over the years. Again, this is just a guess so don't quote me on it.
I was also looking at my goat's rear (didn't sound right) and the casing is ribbed for durability. I hope this somewhat helped.

·
late owner of a 2004
701 Posts
If you get over 400 RWHP and have tires that hook up. I would not be suprized if they break. I know that the 04 Cobra will break at about 450 RWHP .

The GTO rear diff wasnt make to handle that much power. its only a 8" diff the 2005 has a new diff that is a 9" i believe.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
How is that going to be the case when the Magnuson Supercharger brings the RWHP over 400? They couldn't sell the damn thing if every GTO they put it on broke.

Rockos GTO said:
If you get over 400 RWHP and have tires that hook up. I would not be suprized if they break. I know that the 04 Cobra will break at about 450 RWHP .

The GTO rear diff wasnt make to handle that much power. its only a 8" diff the 2005 has a new diff that is a 9" i believe.

·
Registered
102 Posts
2004Goat said:
I was also looking at my goat's rear (didn't sound right) and the casing is ribbed for durability.
I thought it was ribbed for her pleasure. :p Sorry couldn't resist.

Shawn

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
GTO/GTP said:
I thought it was ribbed for her pleasure. :p Sorry couldn't resist.

Shawn
I'm glad somebody else posted that - I didn't want to think I was the only prevert around here...

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I think BMR's the folks to watch here. They've built up a sick, juiced GTO just to see what breaks. They've already announced an alloy driveshaft and better couplings. A lot of heavy hitters are starting to use their stuff. BTW, if that diff is "ribbed for pleasure", I'd hate to run into the heiffer on the receiving end!

·
late owner of a 2004
701 Posts
phobos512 said:
How is that going to be the case when the Magnuson Supercharger brings the RWHP over 400? They couldn't sell the damn thing if every GTO they put it on broke.
This is true they have installed one, but are they going to tell you every little thing that has gone wrong since they put the supercharger on it. I doubt it. With street tires your would probably be fine. but if you hook up at a hard launch is were I think the problems will begin. I have no evidence on it but I do know a few people that have seen this problem. :wall:

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Rockos GTO said:
This is true they have installed one, but are they going to tell you every little thing that has gone wrong since they put the supercharger on it. I doubt it. With street tires your would probably be fine. but if you hook up at a hard launch is were I think the problems will begin. I have no evidence on it but I do know a few people that have seen this problem. :wall:
With the GTO?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts