LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Army Acquisition Corp Officer
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The factory curb weight is 3,725 lbs., but has anybody ever used a scale to weigh an LS2 GTO with the M6 and 18 inch wheels? I'm thinking about using a CAT scale to get my GTO weighed. Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Incognito
1,433 Posts
3620 on a certified scale, obviously w/o me in it. Quarter tank of gas, no spare/jack, some weight savings with the exhaust as well.

·
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
John Doe said:
3620 on a certified scale, obviously w/o me in it. Quarter tank of gas, no spare/jack, some weight savings with the exhaust as well.
I'm not too far off from you.

On a CAT scale at a truck stop, I got a gross weight of 3,840 lbs with me in it. I weighed 154 lbs on a scale that was in the store where I got my ticket. And my DIC said that I've used up 15.88 gallons of fuel so I'm assuming that I had at least (18 gallon fuel tank less 15.88 gallons of fuel used equals) 2.12 lbs of gasoline left in my fuel tank. Assuming that the weight of each gallon of my gasoline was 6 lbs per gallon, I had 12.72 lbs of gasoline left in my fuel tank. To summarize,

3,840 lbs gross weight
(154 lbs) driver and driver's accessories weight
(12.72 lbs) remaining gasoline weight
------------
3,673.28 lbs

Everything on the car was bone stock except for the suspension which has been totally upgraded with the Pedders Justice package. This includes upgraded struts, shocks, springs, strut tower brace, and a whole lot of urethane bushings, but I doubt that they weigh any more or any less than the factory parts.

Assuming that the factory 3,725 lb curb weight was for a GTO with the A4 and 17" wheels (which weigh about 3 lbs less per wheel compared to the 18" rims), we can say that the M6 cars with the 17" wheels weigh (3,725 lbs less 3,673.28 lbs less 12 lbs equals) 39.72 lbs less compared to the same GTO with the A4. Damn, those A4's are heavy!

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
To get a little more resolution, hold down the 'mode' and 'set' buttons (both) when starting the engine. The step through the displays in the center window of the DIC to get the fuel sender value. Not the fuel cal, the fuel sender, press mode once more.

0/255 fuel sender value is a bone dry empty tank. 255/255 fuel sender value is filled to the rim.

·
You build it, I break it!
4,621 Posts
Mine wieghed in at 3964 with me in it no weight savings at all, with about a 1/4 tank of fuel. I am about 280 which puts the car at right about 3684. M6 with 17's with drag radials on the rear.

Anthony

·
Incognito
1,433 Posts
I wish everyone would read this thread so they can stop saying, "Man our cars are pigs, they weigh like 4000 lbs." Compared to other Sports Coupes our cars are not that heavy.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Mine weighed 3600 even with 1/2 a tank of gas!

·
My normal state of affairs...
5,909 Posts
mine was 4022 with me in it, about 1/4 tank of gas, and no weight savings what-so-ever

i have since removed that Y tow hitch thing. thats a hefty chunk of metal:madsign3:

·
Registered
406 Posts
05 Auto Full Tank Me 185 4040

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just the fact that I can get close to 3600 without me in it is VERY exciting every little bit helps, tow hitch, skid plate, shorties, ss exhaust. Just imagine Cobra Misano Seats....minus 75lbs without trying (although draining to the walllet)...drool.

·
UNDER REPAIR! FROM BAD CRASH!
122 Posts
Mine was 3740 with 1/2 tank on NHRA scale... NOT BAD :)

·
The angels have the phone box
118 Posts
John Doe said:
I wish everyone would read this thread so they can stop saying, "Man our cars are pigs, they weigh like 4000 lbs." Compared to other Sports Coupes our cars are not that heavy.
+1

I was thrilled to see this! Thanks for posting your weights, everyone!
My E46 M3 was 3440 with half a tank, no rear seat bottoms or backs, trunk carpetting and lining completely removed, mobility kit (no spare, of course) removed, almost 60 lbs of exhaust weight reduction, and no passenger seat. Harnesses were installed but I wasn't in the car.
All of the M3 guys say the GTO is a pig. Hrmph. I would trade the 200 lbs for the extra 70 horsepower (maybe that's a foolish observation... obviously that's exactly what I did).

I'll post up, too, when I get the GTO on the scales. Track trim would be no back seats, spare and accessories removed, no fuel tank cage or y-bracket and half a tank (as we know the on-track economy of 4.2mpg for 25 minutes means we can't go too much lower, can we?). I'm also running on my wife's former BMW's 17x8 Rondell super lightweight wheels. I am crossing my fingers for 3600 dead.

·
Incognito
1,433 Posts
Lugnut said:
+1

I was thrilled to see this! Thanks for posting your weights, everyone!
My E46 M3 was 3440 with half a tank, no rear seat bottoms or backs, trunk carpetting and lining completely removed, mobility kit (no spare, of course) removed, almost 60 lbs of exhaust weight reduction, and no passenger seat. Harnesses were installed but I wasn't in the car.
All of the M3 guys say the GTO is a pig. Hrmph. I would trade the 200 lbs for the extra 70 horsepower (maybe that's a foolish observation... obviously that's exactly what I did).

I'll post up, too, when I get the GTO on the scales. Track trim would be no back seats, spare and accessories removed, no fuel tank cage or y-bracket and half a tank (as we know the on-track economy of 4.2mpg for 25 minutes means we can't go too much lower, can we?). I'm also running on my wife's former BMW's 17x8 Rondell super lightweight wheels. I am crossing my fingers for 3600 dead.
You do the same weight reduction on the GTO that you did on your M3 and you should be close to the same weight. You can shave a lot of weight off the corners with a good set of forged wheels (8-10lbs/wheel) which is what I plan to do. The front seats in these cars are heavy as hell too, almost 80 lbs each.

·
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Let me adjust my 2nd post above to the following as my comparison of my no-gasoline vehicle weight to the factory curb weight is incorrect.

On a Certified Automated Truck (CAT) scale at a TA truck stop on [email protected] in Paulsboro, NJ , I got a gross weight of 3,840 lbs with me in the GTO. I weighed 154 lbs on a scale that was in the store where I got my ticket. And my Driver Information Center (DIC) said that I've used up 15.88 gallons of fuel so I'm assuming that I had at least (18 gallon fuel tank less 15.88 gallons of fuel used equals) 2.12 lbs of gasoline left in my fuel tank. Assuming that the weight of each gallon of my gasoline was 6 lbs per gallon, I had 12.72 lbs of gasoline left in my fuel tank. To summarize,

3,840 lbs gross weight
(154 lbs)--less driver and driver's accessories weight
(12.72 lbs)--less remaining gasoline weight
------------
3,673.28 lbs total no-gasoline vehicle weight
108 lbs--add back 18 gallons x 6 lbs per gallon
------------
3,781.28 lbs total curb weight of a 2006 GTO with the 6-speed manual transmission and 18" rims

It would be reasonable if the factory curb weight of 3,725 lbs is really the vehicle weight of an automatic transmission-equipped GTO with no fuel, but there's no way it could be the actual curb weight based on the above information and the fact that an automatic transmission is heavier than a manual transmission.

·
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much gasoline did you have in your gas tank?

·
Been here for a long time...
4,659 Posts
My LS1 car, which should be the same, weighed in at 3760 with a little less than 1/2 tank and without me. Totally stock with nothing taken out.

·
Registered
521 Posts
My 2005 m6 with just over half a tank of gas weighed 3,750. On another scale 5 blocks away it weighed 3760.

Both scales were checked and certified just a few days before.

My 1998 Z28 A4 weighs 3420 with half a tank.

My M6 1998 Vette convertible weighs 3225 with 3/4 a tank.

No one or anything extra in in the cars.

They claim the LS2 is 15 pounds lighter than the LS1.

My GTO is just as it came and yes it is a bit porky but much more comfortable than my other cars. That is the real reason I bought it and I prefer it to the others.

For a comparison I once had a small block 1970 Monte Carlo, auto with air. Just as it came from the factory it weighed 3,775 empty.

My 70 440 Road Runner auto weighed 3,580 empty.

My 75 Thunder Bird was 5,200 empty.

Over the years I have weighed all my cars on the same 2 scales

1 - 18 of 18 Posts