LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making preperations to buy the PFYC Banshee hood. I have a few questions...

1) Carbon or Fiberglass?

2) What costs can I expect to pay for installation.

3) How much to paint?

4) Am I asking all the questions I need to be asking?​
I suspect there might be differences in cost depending on which way I go, so any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Diana
 

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to know what pricing is a ripoff... having never done this they could quote me a price and I would never know if it is good or not. So folks who have been through this already will have valuable info for me I'm sure :)

And yes... that hood is SWEET :)

If you haven't seen it on the QS car... lookie here...

 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
like 04blue said, find a good body shop that you trust.
i know of one in schaumburg IL that i have taken two of my cars to for repairs. they may be a little more expensive than most, but i didn't care b/c the other guys insurance was paying. after working with them twice, they would be my first choice for any body work. they are very profesional and no BS.
the place is Americas Auto Body, 847-985-3760, talk to Dave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
835 Posts
My hood was $800, shipping was $90, painting and install was $300. I think they did an excellent job. Pm me if you are interested in their number. (They're in Janesville)
 

·
Expelled
Joined
·
8,316 Posts
my guest is about 1200 fiberglass and at least 1500 carbon for everything. I wish these hoods would come painted and just bolt on. Then with just a flat price I might be getting one. My problem is that I dont trust any body shops. My blazer had like 3 different shades of black on it and the roof in the sun glittered red? (painted a red car next to mine i think) So I will never pay for body shops only when insurance is covering the bill. Dont get me wrong if you know some one its a whole different story.
 

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cjlannoy said:
My hood was $800, shipping was $90, painting and install was $300. I think they did an excellent job. Pm me if you are interested in their number. (They're in Janesville)
Thanks this was what I was looking for, and I figured you would pipe in :) I think your hood looks fabulous, having seen it in person. Daylight would have been better... but hey :)

Janesville would be a little too far, but I do have a local shop in mind, I just wanted to be better educated before I spoke to the shop. You know... the girl factor ;)

I do reserve the right to PM you later in case things don't go my way locally ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Huntress said:
I need to know what pricing is a ripoff... having never done this they could quote me a price and I would never know if it is good or not. So folks who have been through this already will have valuable info for me I'm sure :)

And yes... that hood is SWEET :)

If you haven't seen it on the QS car... lookie here...

do you know where they got those rims chrome plates at?thats what i would like to do with mine.
 

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chris... one more thing... is it fiberglass?

Does fiberglass or carbon change the prep/costs?

Which is more sturdy? Or should I not worry about this?
 

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tbone3424 said:
do you know where they got those rims chrome plates at?thats what i would like to do with mine.
Tbone... I've seen factory chromes... they don't look as good in person as they do in photos. JMHO.
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
04bluegto said:
PFYC said that Carbon was difficult to work with and only go to a professial who has worked with it before. I would go with the fiberglass it gives you a couple more options.
yes, for this reason i would go with fiber glass. also remember that FG is able to be repaired. Carbon fiber IS NOT. so if (god forbid) you get into a front end collision with a CF hood, you are probably out of a hood.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Carbon fiber gives you the option of not painting it, just clearcoat it. It is probably only a couple hundred $ more and should be lighter. You could go the CF route bolt it on and see if you like the look and not worry about paint matching, just clearcoat it. The down side is that you can't repair carbon fiber like fiberglass if one of those nasty fords decides suicide you!
 

·
Expelled
Joined
·
8,316 Posts
miamio said:
Carbon fiber gives you the option of not painting it, just clearcoat it. It is probably only a couple hundred $ more and should be lighter. You could go the CF route bolt it on and see if you like the look and not worry about paint matching, just clearcoat it. The down side is that you can't repair carbon fiber like fiberglass if one of those nasty fords decides suicide you!
I didnt think of it that way but I think it would look ricey.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top