LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
vetteman
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a question for all you fellow motorheads out there. How much work will it take to keep up or beat a stock viper and C-6 Z-06 without putting on a supercharger, because i was told that a supercharger is a great option if you dont mind losing you engine reliability. I dont know im just stuck because i just want to run with the big boys but i cant afford to dish out 6+grand for a s/c. Thanx for the help

·
vetteman
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im talkin bout engine work not steroids aka nitrous. i rather that my car be badass without NOS

·
Refuse to lose.
3,509 Posts
If you're ruling out nitrous you may as well shell out the $6K for a blower/turbo because if you choose to go all motor and try to make 600-odd HP you're going to end up spending that much once it's all said and done.

You're talking top-of-the-line $2K cylinder heads, another grand for headers, close to another grand for a custom cam and kit, another grand or so for a tune and dyno time and then all the other odds and ends. If a forced induction power-adder is out of the question rethink nitrous- it's by far the cheapest and easiest way to make big power.

·
I am G.O.N.E.
2,005 Posts
im not sure if you can do it n/a lets say cams heads headers intake udp and a tune you can be in the ball park of 500 horse but............ the z06 has a crazy power to weight

·
Registered
931 Posts
Do you want to beat them at the dragstrip or from a roll on the street?

From a roll you're gonna need a power adder I don't think you'll get it done NA and stock cubes.

At the dragstrip it might be possible with a stalled auto, drag radials, suspension, and a rowdy cam and head setup. You're gonna have to cut a killer 60' have you seen what a z06 traps I believe it's around 125 mph.

·
Registered
802 Posts
BCNUL8R said:
have you seen what a z06 traps I believe it's around 125 mph.

dammmmmn thats crazy, good luck with your quest. you arent going to do it without more cubes if you stay na. my happy as is going pro-charger:D hells yeah

Like i said good luck though:gears:

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
a lot of $$...it can be done though

·
The Psycho 10 sec. Goat
1,968 Posts
Yep, I don't see it happening without forced induction. You might be able to do it NA, but you would have to go stroker. When all is said and done, that is going to end up $15k+. Twin turbos would be a nice way to smoke a Viper, especially up top.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
I would be happy at 450rwhp with my cam and heads......not going much over that without an s/c or turbo........off topic how much hp can a stock ls2 block support? somebody said 1000?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
LS7 + 100 shot = Ruling all onthe pavement.
Chuch

·
get used to this sight
1,051 Posts
air86 said:
Hey guys i have a question for all you fellow motorheads out there. How much work will it take to keep up or beat a stock viper and C-6 Z-06 without putting on a supercharger, because i was told that a supercharger is a great option if you dont mind losing you engine reliability. I dont know im just stuck because i just want to run with the big boys but i cant afford to dish out 6+grand for a s/c. Thanx for the help
you have to learn one thing and one thing only... whoever has the biggest pocketbook has the fastest car. plain and simple. you wanna play with the big boys??? then get a big boys job and paycheck. thats all you need.

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
Cam and N2O will make the look on the opposing driver's face worth it. :eek:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
i think the gto may be a bit heavy to smoke a z on motor.
you can get 500rwp with the biggest and best cam heads headers tune ect. but 500rwp at 4100 lbs is going to be a good race against a (hopefully stock) 460rwp 3200lb car that has better traction and more low end power it would be interesting to see.

good luck

and you might not want to turn your nose up at n2o it is a pretty fun way to make power and you can easily spend as much or more on a nice nitrous system as you can on a basic procharger setup

·
Registered
131 Posts
The right way to do it is build a new motor from scratch. Yank out the stock one, keep it, sell it, whatever. Spend the money, get good parts, don't go cheap on anything, and you'll have a 550+ hp motor about 12k dynoed and ready to drop in. Also, you'll be able to spin it all day and not worry about reliability. Wanna play, gotta pay.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
good N/A setup and a 100 to 150 shot that should get the job done!!!!

·
Incognito
1,433 Posts
With a quality heads/Cam setup you can push 450-480 to the wheels, and our cars don't weigh 4100 lbs. Mine weighed in at 3620, so you have 500 lbs to make up right from the start. Heads and Cam should run you around $3500-$4000, so you are not that far off from FI. I'm still on the fence whether I want to go Procharger or H/C. Zs put down 430-440 stock, so you might be able to hang, but you would have to drive the hell out of it.

·
Registered Gator
506 Posts
air86 said:
The name of the game is no longer cubic inches - it's cubic dollars...

On the strip - might help if you mentioned the number you have in mind.
On the track - there are different concerns so brakes/suspension would need to be upgraded as well as the engine bay-pending class rules.
On the Street - traction is a major concern as well as Safety so add Tires too...

The Goat while a steal in it's performance bracket , will need more than 6 large to play with Viper's and Z-06's. The cheapest way to power is nitrous , H/C will be closer , Blowers and you can keep up , TTurbo's and you can think about beating them. Best to just have fun with Acura's and Mustangs if 6K is too much to spend...:)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts