LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a novice drag racer. I want to lower my 60' times and my ET's. (Don't we all?) I suspect that my "tach it to red line and shift" technique is not ideal. What is the proper way to shift the M6 transmission for optimum 60' times and lowest ETs?

·
I drive slow
57 Posts
Focus on smooth before quick. You want to shift as smooth as possible, so that the car does not dip the nose down and pick it back up too much. You will get quicker with your shifts with time and practice. Some people speed shift (keep foot on gas pedal), but I lift every time, and seem to do OK. To 60' better, it's best to find the RPM at the line where you spin a bit, but not much, and ride the clutch out.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
buddy of mines boss has a Z06. he went to the track one day for some times. first, he went balls out, spinning the tires, power shifting and just going crazy. ran like 12.9 or something. next he ran it as recommended which is to not spin the tires and shift smoothly at redline. ran like a 12.6. so its all in the technnique

·
God Bless Texas!
2,284 Posts
Smooth shifting, Ride the clutch alittle, Keep the tires from spinning (Easier said). I found a shift just before 6000 rpm (around 5700) was better for me to keep up the speed. I'm waiting for NHRA to leave Baytown so I can try her on the 1/4.

·
Chief Poncho
3,032 Posts
Slip the clutch quickly and ease into the throttle will net you some fairly good 60' ft times. I found that speed shifting at around 6000 netted me my best time, which was 13.3. Speed shifting is the way to go for best times in my opinion, but it takes practice.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If by "speed shifting" you mean changing gears without using the clutch, you're right, that takes a lot of practice, not to mention courage. I was an expert at speed shifting on my motorcycle back in the early 80's (Kawasaki 650 CSR). I don't think I have the "intestinal fortitude" to try speed shifting in my brand new car. I will give it some thought, though.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,663 Posts
nikivee said:
Slip the clutch quickly and ease into the throttle will net you some fairly good 60' ft times. I found that speed shifting at around 6000 netted me my best time, which was 13.3. Speed shifting is the way to go for best times in my opinion, but it takes practice.
Right on the money. Never lift :D You'd be surprised at how much time you can lop off, usually .3 seconds just shifting.

·
4,663 Posts
I think the correct terms are Speed shifting for no clutch and Power shifting for never lifing and stabbing the clutch. At least that is how I heard it.

I still used the clutch. Never lifting is hard enough on the car.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I understand it as you do Rob. I have speed shifted both my '78 mustang II and my Geo Metro in the past. I've never quite got the guts up to do it w/ the saturn (I was crazier in college) and I'm not sure I'll ever try it w/ the goat.
Heck - if I was gonna drag race, I'd get one of them there point and shoot A4's, don'tcha know. (That's sarcasm - I have the ultimate respect for people that are good at drag racing, manual or automatic transmission). I got the M6 because it's more fun for general everyday driving.
Dan

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Clutches are for sissies.
Krrrrrnk Krrrrrnk Ka-thunk Sproinnng.
Never Mind.

·
weeee! i'm a newbie!
15 Posts
Cool, so that's the definition for "speedshifting" and "powershifting"!

I've always assumed "speedshifting" is "powershifting", ehehe.

Am I right to assume that speed shifting, although it'll give you faster times, is hell on your clutch/tranny/engine? I'm sure at least one of those drivetrain parts gets stressed.

is there a recommended way to 'row em gears' properly, if there is such a thing? Just wondering...

·
I drive slow
57 Posts
I thought speed shifting was not lifting, and powershifting was no clutch. That's the way I always understood it anyways.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hell why even use the clutch??????????????.........Just hold the gas to the floor, and then just RIP the shifter out of gear and KICK it into the next. No need to waste time or effort with the clutch! :cool:

I think I'll take the .3 loss before I'll put my drivetrain through that strain. :D

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm with you, Rocket. I just don't have the guts to speedshift my 2004. As for not lifting (powershifting), that's a thought, but I'm sure to bump the rev limiter (unless I use my tuner software to move the rev limiter.) I don't want to move the rev limiter because I don't want to blow my new engine. My goal now is for a "partial lift" and a powershift between 5700 and 6000 rpm.

My drag radials arrived via UPS yesterday. The last mod arriving is my new wheels. When they get here, I'll put the drag radials on the stock wheels and my new Toyo tires on the new wheels. Then I'm heading for the strip and practice, practice, practice.

·
4,663 Posts
Try it 1st-2nd and see what happens. If you do it right, you won't hit the limiter. 3rd-4th is also a good one. Takes confidence to do the 2nd-3rd shift. But if the GTO is like the F-Body T56, the shifter is 3rd gear biased. Put it in neutral and it should be right below 3rd gear. If it is, its real easy to shift. Instead of doing the up-over-up shift, just push it diagonally. No real effort should be made, just a natural push.

Takes practice. I think that's where the big time saver comes from.

·
Registered
459 Posts
rasilverbird said:
I thought speed shifting was not lifting, and powershifting was no clutch. That's the way I always understood it anyways.
That is the way I always understood it also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Folks, DO NOT shift a transmission that uses synchros and non-striaght gears without the clutch under + throttle.

Straight cut gears and and dog rings in place of synchros are required. Even with a 4 or 5 speed Jerico "dog" equiped tranny you have to lift off throttle a tad for up shift and blip the go pedal on downshifts.

I seriously doubt you could get a T56 out of gear at WFO much less get it into the next gear without a serious amount of effort and at that a probable mess would result. At the least you'll bend the shift forks.

Foot on the mat shifting is possible, but you have to use the clutch with a tranny not designed for clutchless operation.

You certainly can match revs to upshift but it isn't fast and has little point.

·
4,663 Posts
1fastdog said:
Folks, DO NOT shift a transmission that uses synchros and non-striaght gears withour the clutch under throttle.

Straight cut gears and and dog rings in palce of synchros are required. Even with a 4 or 5 speed Jerico "dog" equiped tranny you have to lift off throttle for up shift and blip on downshifts.

I seriously doubt you could get a T56 out of gear at WFO much less get it into the next gear without a serious effort and probable mess as a result. At the least you'll bend the shift forks.

Foot on the mat shifting is possible, but you have to use the clutch with a tranny not designed for clutchless operation.

I wouldn't try that either. Always shift with the clutch. Never tried without the clutch and probably couldn't do it anyway. That's way to hard on everything.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
1fastdog said:
You got THAT right. I tried it a couple of times, but by the time you hit the "window", you'd be staring at someone's tail lights. Useful for limping the car home after you've already toasted the trans.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts