LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my GTO for about a week, with 1100 miles on it (lots of highway) and from day one I have noticed the shifting is sometimes notchy from 1-4. This is not dependent on RPM or power. Every once in awhile the shift is real smooth and nice, maybe 5% of the time. But most of the time I have to use some effort to shift.

The build date is June 04 and the VIN is well above the VIN of the pressure plate TSB.

Is this normal for these trannies ?
I have been driving this car real easy, no spinning tires, power shifts, ect.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
well, I cant tell you if its normal but i can tell you mine has the same issue. The trans is very notchy, especially when cold, it seems to get better as the trans heats up. I did notice it shifts better under moderate to heavy acceleration. I did have it jump out of 1st the other day and it did it so hard it jammed my wrist when it came back.
Man, The last 4 vehicles ive had have been Hondas and those things shift like sewing machines. Im hoping its just the crude nature of the beast.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Catchme said:
well, I cant tell you if its normal but i can tell you mine has the same issue. The trans is very notchy, especially when cold, it seems to get better as the trans heats up. I did notice it shifts better under moderate to heavy acceleration. I did have it jump out of 1st the other day and it did it so hard it jammed my wrist when it came back.
Man, The last 4 vehicles ive had have been Hondas and those things shift like sewing machines. Im hoping its just the crude nature of the beast.
I'm not glad that jump out of 1st happened to you, Catchme, but I appreciate your post. Same thing happened to me twice on the same day last week. Both were on inclined surfaces. I had approx. 2,700 miles on it at the time.

The first time was in my driveway. The air temperature wasn't cool, but the trans. was "cold." I backed the car out of the garage, shifted into 1st to move the car over so I could put another car in the garage. It slipped out just as I was easing out the clutch. It wasn't too bad, but I had to cringe a little.

The second time was 11-hours and about 500 miles later, so everything was warmed up. I backed uphill out of a parking place and put it in 1st. Still heading uphill, I gave it a little more gas than normal so as not to stall the engine. It jumped out of gear with a loud bang. All I could think of was pieces of gears in the bottom of the trans. It makes me sick to think about it.

I'll admit to operator error in both cases, particularly the 2nd, as I'd driven all day and was probably a little sloppy by that time. Having said that, this is a new experience for me, as I don't recall this problem in other manuals. Now, I'm being super careful to be sure 1st is fully engaged, but it's a distraction from other important procedures when starting out.

Anybody know what the damage may be? I don't notice any difference. It's still notchy as ever, and I'm not gonna have someone tear into the trans. for a look-see, but I'd still like to know what happens inside (the gearbox, that is; I know damn well what happens in my guts!). I'm hoping for words of assurance, but I'd really like to know.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
54 Posts
mine popped like that 3 times so far. Scared the you know what outta me. The shifter is really quite notchy but I've found shifting with a little muscle works fine. I don't know if it has anything to do with proximity to the transmission that the shift feel is like that. First and reverse are also MISERABLE when it's cold. I read somewhere that shifting to one of the other gears first will make reverse easier. Hope it's not going to be a miserable winter...

·
Seriously?
1,567 Posts
It sounds to me like it is either a case of the trans not really being broken in yet or maybe the possibilty of not having first gear fully engaged. Now something I have learned on manual trans cars is this...... before going into 1st or reverse, shift the car into 3rd, then 4th, then try to go into R or 1st. What this does is help line the synchros up to help engage 1st or R better. It has worked on every T-5 in every Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, or Thunderbird I have owned. Evens works on the Probe that I have now. I have had the shifter pop back out at me in the Probe by not having 1st or R fully engaged before releasing the clutch. It's not doing any damage per say, the little grind you hear is just the gears not meshing and quickly pushing the shifter back out to neutral. After the M6 gets some mileage on it, it should be shifting real smooth with minimal, if any, issues.

HTH,
Matt

·
Registered
523 Posts
WickedGoat said:
It sounds to me like it is either a case of the trans not really being broken in yet or maybe the possibilty of not having first gear fully engaged. Now something I have learned on manual trans cars is this...... before going into 1st or reverse, shift the car into 3rd, then 4th, then try to go into R or 1st. What this does is help line the synchros up to help engage 1st or R better. It has worked on every T-5 in every Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, or Thunderbird I have owned. Evens works on the Probe that I have now. I have had the shifter pop back out at me in the Probe by not having 1st or R fully engaged before releasing the clutch. It's not doing any damage per say, the little grind you hear is just the gears not meshing and quickly pushing the shifter back out to neutral. After the M6 gets some mileage on it, it should be shifting real smooth with minimal, if any, issues.

HTH,
Matt
Thanks, Matt. I'll give the 3rd-4th shift a try and see if I can avoid the "rejection." I'm still learnin'.
:thumbs:

·
Seriously?
1,567 Posts
Cool, let me know. It should work on the T56.

·
wheel hop tamer
271 Posts
mine has always shifted ultra smooth, BUT, you gotta put it into gear like a man and not be a pansy(no offence intended) with the shifter. It is tighter than a normal t-56, and down the road when the cars have 30K miles or more and still aren't flopping around you'll be happy. T56s in the fbods were tight enough...

·
2005 CGM GTO
1,523 Posts
The C5 Vettes are like that. Once you get used to giving the shifter a good push into first you will be OK. The first few times it happened in my C5 were scary. Now I naturally make the ajustment putting her into first and the problem is gone. Operator error.

·
Registered
523 Posts
iroc_zo6 said:
mine has always shifted ultra smooth, BUT, you gotta put it into gear like a man and not be a pansy(no offence intended) with the shifter. It is tighter than a normal t-56, and down the road when the cars have 30K miles or more and still aren't flopping around you'll be happy. T56s in the fbods were tight enough...
None taken here, Iroc... I appreciate the advice. This is my first ever muscle/performance car and am still learning how to handle it beyond general vehicle operating basics. I guess I'm still afraid I'm gonna break it.

Sounds like the "mule whisperer," who begins each session with the animal by hitting it between the eyes with a 2x4. He explains to the shocked onlookers that you first have to get the mule's attention. (Attention, PETA members: This didn't actually happen; I'm speaking metaphorically.)
:thumbs:

·
12 Second Club
672 Posts
Hmmm Peta? People eating tasty animals. :gr_jest:

·
KBAS
221 Posts
Happened to me a couple times. 1st gear has to be really seated. That grinding noise when it popped out scared the bejesus outta me!! I always shift firm into first now.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Never had the shifter pop out of first. I'd been having some problems getting it into 1st and reverse at a stop and after I've let the clutch out in neutral. My VIN is higher than the cutoff for the flywheel bolt issue though. The dealer bled the clutch today and it's a LOT smoother now. Had no trouble getting into first at stoplights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it has already been pointed out. These are not Honda transmissions. They are direct shift boxes( Hondas use a cable) that give more shift feedback - a good think in spirited driving. There is also the price of capacity = these units carry a whole lot more torque at nearly the same rotational speeds as your ol Honda - ya think there gonna require a more stout shift? - yes. This is most noticeable when you are granny -going -to-church shifting . Also, they do loosten up a bit over time.Consider it a character of the beast.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wickedgoat, your comment was VERY helpful. I've cursed the car a few times trying desperately to get into reverse, lol. You made my car much easier to live with, THANKS!.

·
I love my Goat!
5,963 Posts
I also have constant trouble shifting into reverse. Earlier thread said try putting into 3rd, then R, works like a champ!

·
Registered
100 Posts
WEDJ said:
I also have constant trouble shifting into reverse. Earlier thread said try putting into 3rd, then R, works like a champ!
Same Here :driving:

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
9500 miles here and no problems shifting into any gears or no popping out of any gears. Personally I would probably recommend having the dealership check it out. Even if they can't duplicate the problems, they will record that you are having them in case something more major occurs.
Dan

·
Just Having Fun!
1,736 Posts
I had a little trouble shift last Fri night at the track going into 2nd gear. How strong are the shift forks? I manage to get a clean run in but granny shifted it. On the way home the shifter felt fine. Go figure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same cold issues with 1st & reverse but she has never popped out of a gear.

My problem is 3rd when at the track or aggressive street driving. I can get 1-2 but 2-3 I sometimes hit 5th and once went back into 1st because she hits a wall going into 3rd, anyone else having problems with 3rd or am I just not used to a 6spd yet? Only have 1100 miles on her and the rev limiter does a nice job when you shift into 1st at 60mph :bomb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts