LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my GTO last week. I want to get some polish on it but I wasn't sure if they still say to wait a month or so first. Is there any truth to that anymore? How can I find out the build date of the car? I guess if it was made a few months ago I'll dive right in.

Is it a good idea to clay the car before I even think of polishing?

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
the build date is on the drivers side door and as long as the date is over a month old, which im betting it will be, youll be fine.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Jake99SS said:
I just got my GTO last week. I want to get some polish on it but I wasn't sure if they still say to wait a month or so first. Is there any truth to that anymore? How can I find out the build date of the car? I guess if it was made a few months ago I'll dive right in.

Is it a good idea to clay the car before I even think of polishing?
The born on month and year of the car is on the metal plate on the left side of the car under the hood above the left headlight.

I think most people aren't waiting - buy it and Zaino away has been the trend I've noticed.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
Jake99SS said:
06/04 is my build date. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow night. :D
Zaino baby!!!! Enjoy your new shiny toy!

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
And yes claybar it... you will be amazed at the crap it will pull of these new cars.

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
Huntress said:
And yes claybar it... you will be amazed at the crap it will pull of these new cars.
You got that right! I went through 2 clay bars on my GTO, just to make sure all of the crap was gone...now it's as smooth as a baby's a:)s!

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
Quicksilver said:
You got that right! I went through 2 clay bars on my GTO, just to make sure all of the crap was gone...now it's as smooth as a baby's a:)s!
I clayed mine the first week I had. Clay looked like it was 100 years old on a brand new car. Baby butt smoooooth now though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Baaa said:
I clayed mine the first week I had. Clay looked like it was 100 years old on a brand new car. Baby butt smoooooth now though.
Allright I am a newb when it comes to these things...what exactly do y'all mean when you say "clay"?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was wondering about the finish on my Goat. I don't know what Pontiac is doing, but the finish just isn't smooth right off the showroom. So if I use this Z18 stuff it should smooth out the finish before I apply my first coat of wax?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Absolutely!!!!!

:drink::drink:

·
Registered
207 Posts
DeadMeatChuck said:
I was wondering about the finish on my Goat. I don't know what Pontiac is doing, but the finish just isn't smooth right off the showroom. So if I use this Z18 stuff it should smooth out the finish before I apply my first coat of wax?
That's right. I did this on my Camaro SS right after delivery.

It was a lot of work and it took me a few hours, but it's (almost) fun doing it, because you can feel how smooth the metal is after using the clay.

Just be sure to follow the instructions that come with the bar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was never quite satisfied with my GTP's finish. Well I've had my Goat for about 2 months now, so I better get hot and takle this one.

Just out of curiousity, what waxes do you guys recommend. I have never been one on keeping a car imaculate (clean wise) and this is my first black car, so it is quite a challenge. Friday afternoon baths just aren't going to be enough. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used Zaino on my Camaro since it was new in 98. It always looked great. I switched to Meguiars Colorx and Tech Wax this past spring. I wanted to try something different and you can pick it up at the local Autozone.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
Zaino for the last 5 years on all my cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts