LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met up with him today to pick up a tstat from him. We went for a drive in mine to record stuff on his laptop (knock, temps and things) and when we got back we started to go our separate ways... he starts to drive off (and let me tell you his custom exhaust sounds sweet) but I hear this loud bang bang bang and look over at his car and it looks like his tire on the passenger rear is falling apart! A foot long peice of rubber is hanging off it and slapping against the well. Needless to say we both stopped, and he finds out what it is...

They are so sticky they peel up the tar off parking lot crack repairs :gr_jest:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOmaGOSH
I think I'll pull one of my 275's off and roll it around the house. I'm out of vacuum cleaner bags.

·
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blitzu said:
LOL, I should have taken a picture :D :D

It scared the sh*t out of me at first... it felt like something really big was broken!

These Nittos rock!

Thanks for the good chat today Diana, it's always fun meeting up with another enthusiast.

I plan on posting some of the number I took from your car today. I think this isa very good sign for this prototype intake.
Great I want to see them too :D

Hard to watch that while driving.

·
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sullivan told me 1100 plus my stockers for chrome... was it their Libertyville store and a Black with Grey racing stripes the chromes were on?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
i like the look alot. i just cant just spending that much money on wheel upgrades right now. plus chrome rims can to be a hassle(ie must use specail tools to avoid scratching while changing tires)

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Blitzu said:
Ohhh check out these wheels, I stopped by my local Pontiac on the way home.

Looks like they sent out stockers to be chromed up.

What do you guys think?? I think they look ok.
I got my holden wheels all the way from Aussie for that exact price.......2k for chrome? gimme a break

·
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They explained the price to me... they send out stock rims, takes 4-6 weeks for them to come back. They have (or had, was about a month ago I asked) an extra set... So you give them yours plus $1100, you take the chrome set they have on hand and send them out to start the cycle over again.

The price is in line with a past thread I read on here where someone priced chroming the wheels. They were quoted $250 a wheel. $100 profit for the dealer seems reasonable.

So... let's see, I wouldn't go as far as calling the dealership retarded (at least not on this score, but don't get me started) however I would have to agree with Dbluegoat that it really isn't worth it.

One thing that bothered me about chroming the stock wheels... did you notice they were not real great looking? I mean they looked lumpy and not as smooth as I would have liked, as compared to other aftermarket chrome rims. I think that chroming over a painted surface is an issue here... you just won't get great results. If I were to do this, I would want them perfect looking. This is not something you can see in the photos, which is also why I never took pics of them... they look great from a distance, but upon close inspection, forget it!

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
we get the tar thingy here at work when it gets hot out. they put another layer on top of the old and didn't prep it real well. every once in a while a big chunk comes off that way. the first time it happened was on my old camaro. i thought the tread had come off. now we just have a sign. "please replace all divots" :)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Huntress said:
....They are so sticky they peel up the tar off parking lot crack repairs :gr_jest:
That is a good tip. No driving over road repairs. Totally bizarre and quite funny.
:drink::drink:

·
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blitzu said:
I understand what you are saying about the process and how the dealer is making $100, but in this case if it costs $1000 for the chroming process than the dealer is making $950 profit on them because they tack that price onto the total of the car. Last I checked you pay for the stock wheels to begin with so basically are paying for two sets of wheels to get one. That is retarded.
That I agree with... so, the deal I was told is better than getting the car with them new.... and yes that is retarded. :gr_jest:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I'm probably going the chrome OE wheel route if the price is right. I figure if it gets anywhere around 200 a tire then it's a waste and just buy aftermarket wheels.

As for sticky Nittos :hail: Prepare to pick up sand, pebbles, tar, pretty much anything that ain't locked down. They only last 10k miles for a reason

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
mistermike said:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOmaGOSH
I think I'll pull one of my 275's off and roll it around the house. I'm out of vacuum cleaner bags.
Too funny. :D

I can vouch for sticky Nitto 555R's, although I sold mine to ColoradoGoat.

The chromed OEM wheels look great. I thought about doing that myself, but went aftermarket instead. You're right, though. Cleaning them is a P.I.T.A.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Adam4356 said:
I'm probably going the chrome OE wheel route if the price is right. I figure if it gets anywhere around 200 a tire then it's a waste and just buy aftermarket wheels.

As for sticky Nittos :hail: Prepare to pick up sand, pebbles, tar, pretty much anything that ain't locked down. They only last 10k miles for a reason
My GM at Baur says he has a place to chrome the wheels, because he was considering doing it to some of his stock. I don't imagine it's super cheap as the powdercoat has to be stripped, and the underplating done before the chrome + polishing + buffing.

·
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I asked the dealer if they were stripping them, and they didn't... just right over the paint... which is why I think they look like a$$

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I don't know what kind of chrome sticks to non-conductive powdercoating. Maybe it's similar to the chrome-on-plastic billygoatgruff had done on his grilles. Might as well just get some nice wheels or strip and polish the OEM's. My Intros are buffed aluminum that is about as bright as chrome except a little warmer in color.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Insurance replaters

There are Insurance Replater shops that can take the GTO stockers down to bare metal by the blasting them with the walnut shell method, can buff, then will plate them for you, copper, nickel x2, and finally chrome, or any other thing you might think of. You just have to find one near you, and do the Teaberry Shuffle (I use the Happy Leprechaun Dance) with them to work out a price. Check the Yellow Pages. I resurrected a set of American 200S Chromed Candlepins that had gone to h*ll in the weather this way. It cost NOWHERE as much as new ones. Just a thought! :secret:

·
2,432 Posts
I know the ones on my SS were chromed by a company in California for $800 including shipping. Same deal you send them your rims as soon as they get them they send back a finished set of rims.

They don't need to take the paint off, but they would have to sand any rough spots or knicks.

They did an awesome job on the SS so I was thinking about getting the GTO done, but these pics don't really look that good...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts