41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
G8 19's on my GTO

Well THANKS to the great write ups here on this site... I have some pics I wanted to post and maybe help someone else with the same issues... The routing of the wheels is crazy easy....... The thing I ran into was strut issues with the stock 245 40 19 they were touching ever so lightly but still. So I did some measuring and this is what I did... I used 1/4 inch wheel spacers and I wanted to make sure there was enough threads so I upgraded to the
ARPs 100-7717 EVO Studs like mentioned on here...I cut them down with a angle grinder after install. All I did is find an old nut wound it on to the depth I wanted and cut them off.... All this work and time paid off! Now I have some nice wheels to look at....! Instead of my 17's....

THANKS TO ALL THE INFO DONATED BY PEOPLE ON THIS SITE! KEEP ALL THE GOOD WORK UP.......

Oh yeah the router bit set me back almost 30 on ebay...But it is needed so well worth it!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
G8 19's on my GTO

Sorry more pics... The tire to strut gap is good and safe now! It is hard to get a good picture of the gap but it looks to be 3/8 with new tires.....so I am happy... The 245 35 19 would be nice but and prob would fit with no issues but I didn't want the thin tire with Pa pot holes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
I picked up a set of G8 19's last weekend, and will be following this procedure on mine as well. (I just picked up my router bit today - had to have it ordered in to a local store) I am hoping I won't have as much trouble with the fitment since I am running coilovers, front and rear.

I am really looking forward to the 19's as well. Fell in love with the look when I first saw it on here. Plus after running offset wheels for a couple seasons, really looking forward to stock wheels again and being able to rotate as needed.

Thanks for the write up OP.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,445 Posts
I'm about to knock this out with some G8 wheels but I wanted to clear something up first.

For the router bit, any 1/2 inch bearing and 1/2 inch cutting diameter bit will suffice, correct?

When I look up the dimensions on that Bosch 85653M I get specifications all over the place saying 7/8" here, 1/16" there, and lots of 1/2", all which confuses me.

·
Chief CAD monkey
761 Posts
Carbide tipped is important. The bigger the cutting/bearing diameter the better. I used Diablo 1/2 in. x 1 in. flush trim from Home Depot #744774. Cheapie ebay one came apart on first wheel.

·
I'm taken & she LOVES racing!
2,660 Posts
So any true flushing bit will work provided it is carbide tipped?

·
Chief CAD monkey
761 Posts
No, you need a decent quality to survive the job. First one I bought failed on the first wheel (bearing came apart). Second one was chipped and pretty well spent after completing the other three wheels. They are designed for wood. I expect the Bosch one listed by the OP did a nice job on all four wheels, but I didn't have access to a 1/2" arbor router.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,445 Posts
Carbide tipped is important. The bigger the cutting/bearing diameter the better. I used Diablo 1/2 in. x 1 in. flush trim from Home Depot #744774. Cheapie ebay one came apart on first wheel.
That's good to hear as that is the same bit I bought last night.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,445 Posts
Some feedback on the Diablo 1/2 in. x 1 in. flush trim from Home Depot #744774:
The perfect depth for hub clearance with a snug, OE style fit was just shy of 10mm of cutting blade.
The overall depth of the bit from the base of the router to the tip of the bearing's retaining screw was 19mm, plus or minus hundredths.

I'd recommend shooting for a blade depth of about 9mm and testing fitting from there.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,445 Posts

·
Been here for a long time...
4,683 Posts
Yep, it was a little intimidating the very first fire up but all were done in a matter of minutes. Test fitted the driver's front and it fit perfect. I still have stock 245's on the GT wheels and they are extremely close to the strut, so I might have to go to a spacer but we'll see when I play with it this weekend.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,445 Posts
Don't forget that the G8 uses 40 or 45 series tires. I'm running 245/35 up front and have zero rubbing.

·
4,683 Posts
Here are the results and thanks for all the help in this thread! I had to use 5mm spacers on the front. Other than that, it was bolt and go once the hub was cut.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I ordered the 245/35/19s for all four wheels. I've get them sitting in the garage waiting to go on later this week. I'm curious to see the difference. I'm going from a 275 nitto 555 rear to a 245 pilot super sports. Not sticky to sticky but smaller.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Here are the results and thanks for all the help in this thread! I had to use 5mm spacers on the front. Other than that, it was bolt and go once the hub was cut.

Are you at stock height? I'm going from slammed with 19s to stock height with 19s. Happy but nervous at the same time. I bottom out all the time with the set up from the old owner of my car.

·
4,683 Posts
Are you at stock height? I'm going from slammed with 19s to stock height with 19s. Happy but nervous at the same time. I bottom out all the time with the set up from the old owner of my car.
Yep, stock height. All original in the front and Koni/King Springs/Drag Bags in rear.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts