1,167 Posts
Curious.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
how many lbs/.in is that spring?
700 for main spring
Helper spring is like few lbs/in. It just keeps it all in place at fool droop. Most of the time it’s fully compressed. I never hear it when street driving. Different story when autocrossing, it clanks coming out of tight turns so it definitely does it’s job.

·
Worthless reject member
40,757 Posts
700 for main spring
Helper spring is like few lbs/in. It just keeps it all in place at fool droop. Most of the time it’s fully compressed. I never hear it when street driving. Different story when autocrossing, it clanks coming out of tight turns so it definitely does it’s job.
Never seen a setup like that before. Cool stuff.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Main advantage of this system is that articulating spring perches are correcting any misalignments between lower and upper spring perches that are typical and particularly bad on GTO. Use of eccentric bushings for alignment only make things worse. Same as any car that has semi trailing arms, divorced suspension setup. BMW cars are the same for example. I used BMW aftermarket parts plus some home made parts to customize this setup.
This allows for running stiffer, linear rate springs without any negative effects of springs bending, bucking and binding.
In addition to fixing the issues from performance stand point, it produces very smooth ride even with very stiff springs.
Helper or transition springs are necessary only to achieve desired droop that is otherwise not possible with stiff springs.
Ease of changing springs is just a bonus feature.
Height adjustment is also amazingly easy. No tools required. Just turn upper perch by hand and done. It has clicking/ratcheting setup with ball bearing and spring built in.
Further improvements in this system are possible by reversing upper mount to gain additional space for the spring assembly.
This would make it possible to run 1” longer spring, which would allow for more spring travel if softer spring is desired.
As it is right now, with 4” long 700 lbs springs, there is no evidence of spring bottoming out even with car being used for autocross.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,167 Posts
Main advantage of this system is that articulating spring perches are correcting any misalignments between lower and upper spring perches that are typical and particularly bad on GTO. Use of eccentric bushings for alignment only make things worse. Same as any car that has semi trailing arms, divorced suspension setup. BMW cars are the same for example. I used BMW aftermarket parts plus some home made parts to customize this setup.
This allows for running stiffer, linear rate springs without any negative effects of springs bending, bucking and binding.
In addition to fixing the issues from performance stand point, it produces very smooth ride even with very stiff springs.
Helper or transition springs are necessary only to achieve desired droop that is otherwise not possible with stiff springs.
Ease of changing springs is just a bonus feature.
Height adjustment is also amazingly easy. No tools required. Just turn upper perch by hand and done. It has clicking/ratcheting setup with ball bearing and spring built in.
Further improvements in this system are possible by reversing upper mount to gain additional space for the spring assembly.
This would make it possible to run 1” longer spring, which would allow for more spring travel if softer spring is desired.
As it is right now, with 4” long 700 lbs springs, there is no evidence of spring bottoming out even with car being used for autocross.

View attachment 504199

View attachment 504200

View attachment 504201
I don't think I've ever seen this done before, very cool.
I'd wager being spoiled by good vendor support in the past and GTO mUsCle CaR!!! culture has hampered innovation like this. I keep forgetting to look at old BMW parts for inspiration.

If Kollar and GTOG8TA ever shut down shop, these kind of solution will be necessary to keep these cars on the road.

·
1 of 40,757
6,465 Posts
Great to see some alternate suspension parts on our cars.

I used BMW aftermarket parts plus some home made parts to customize this setup.
What are the parts you found and how are they modified?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts