LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and to the car, but already don't like the green MPH light in the instrument cluster. Have any of you disabled this and if so, how. Thanks in advance.

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
Here you go:

Speedometer MPH Indicator Too Bright (Reduce MPH Indicator Brightness Using Tech 2) #04-08-49-023 - (Sep 10, 2004)
Speedometer MPH Indicator Too Bright (Reduce MPH Indicator Brightness Using Tech 2®)
2004 Pontiac GTO

Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 4L299640

Condition
Some customers may comment that the MPH indicator on the speedometer is too bright during night driving and that it does not dim with the IP lamps.

Correction
Follow the procedure below using the Tech 2® to reduce the brightness of the speedometer MPH indicator. This procedure must be followed exactly.

Important
The Tech 2® must contain software version 24.005 or later available from Techline® starting July 2004, on the TIS 2000 version TIS 07/2004 data update or later.

Install the Tech 2® to the vehicle and power on.
Select "Diagnostic" from the menu.
Build the vehicle from the menu options.
Select "Body" from the menu.
Select the correct transmission type.
Select "Instrument Panel Cluster" from the menu.
Select "Special Functions" from the menu.
Select "Programming" from the menu.
Select " Instrument Configuration" from the menu.
Press Enter.
Press "Change Data". Even though the screen deals with tire size and speed pulses, the data stream changes the MPH indicator brightness.

·
2,137 Posts
miscreant... you da superman!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Hmmmm dealer will have my car for 4 days anyway....I will ask them to dim.....good things come to those that wait..........
:drink::drink:

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
miscreant said:
Here you go:

Speedometer MPH Indicator Too Bright (Reduce MPH Indicator Brightness Using Tech 2) #04-08-49-023 - (Sep 10, 2004)
Speedometer MPH Indicator Too Bright (Reduce MPH Indicator Brightness Using Tech 2®)
2004 Pontiac GTO

Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 4L299640

Condition
Some customers may comment that the MPH indicator on the speedometer is too bright during night driving and that it does not dim with the IP lamps.

Correction
Follow the procedure below using the Tech 2® to reduce the brightness of the speedometer MPH indicator. This procedure must be followed exactly.

Important
The Tech 2® must contain software version 24.005 or later available from Techline® starting July 2004, on the TIS 2000 version TIS 07/2004 data update or later.

Install the Tech 2® to the vehicle and power on.
Select "Diagnostic" from the menu.
Build the vehicle from the menu options.
Select "Body" from the menu.
Select the correct transmission type.
Select "Instrument Panel Cluster" from the menu.
Select "Special Functions" from the menu.
Select "Programming" from the menu.
Select " Instrument Configuration" from the menu.
Press Enter.
Press "Change Data". Even though the screen deals with tire size and speed pulses, the data stream changes the MPH indicator brightness.
Thanks very much for finding and posting the Official and Final fix. This should go in the FAQ IMHO. Way to go! :thumbs:

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Does this really bother you people? I mean it's a light. It's not blinding you. I don't even notice it anymore. Same thing with the traction control. I just turn it off.
I've always gone by the rule, "Don't sweat the small sh!t". Oh well, to each his own.
:)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
Does this really bother you people? I mean it's a light. It's not blinding you. I don't even notice it anymore. Same thing with the traction control. I just turn it off.
I've always gone by the rule, "Don't sweat the small sh!t". Oh well, to each his own.
It was not a big annoyance for me but they have a simple fix so why not!
:drink::drink:

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
Actually, it does bother me, a ton. I think it's relative to how bright or dim you have the illumination. I keep the illumination rather dim (kinda middle position), and when the MPH light (which is WAY brighter than the DRL lights) doesn't dim, it becomes quite noticeable. It's the use of green- I switched the fog light led in my 2004 GTP from green to red, and it was night and day. Red LEDs are less obtrusive...

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
miscreant said:
Actually, it does bother me, a ton. I think it's relative to how bright or dim you have the illumination. I keep the illumination rather dim (kinda middle position), and when the MPH light (which is WAY brighter than the DRL lights) doesn't dim, it becomes quite noticeable. It's the use of green- I switched the fog light led in my 2004 GTP from green to red, and it was night and day. Red LEDs are less obtrusive...
I guess the only thing to do is pull the DIC and investigate.
ops wrong thread LOL :gr_jest:

·
2,137 Posts
It only bothers me that it is brighter than the brightest setting of the speedo.

Mostly I've gotten used to it, but will have it adjusted down when in for something else too.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
miscreant - Thanks for the information! You rock.

All - I just got off the phone with my dealer and I set up an appointment for this Friday the 17th @ 1500 PDT to get this taken care of. As I am #1 of 3 GTOs at the dealership, they've never done it yet so they wanted me to come early to make sure they can figure it out before close (they're competent, should be no problem). I will let you know how it goes. I'm going to try and get it set to be about 1/2-3/4 the brightness of the REST of the IP lights at full brightness, as opposed to the 2x brightness of the rest of the IP lights as it is now.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Holeshot said:
I guess the only thing to do is pull the DIC and investigate.
ops wrong thread LOL :gr_jest:
hole you rebel......DIC's are only allowed in one thread :gr_jest:

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
We tried to do this tonight. We must not have the latest version of Tech2. No love. Buddy with the pendent is going to try to get the latest update but he is not a dealer. Oh well. It was fun playing with the guages via remote.. And we were able to dim the DIC without dimming the Guages. Useless but cool. MPH stayed the same though...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Huntress said:
This one is of real interest:

http://ls1gto.com/forums/showpost.php?p=90616&postcount=6

Mike you crack me up :D

Huntress, I hope that is a good thing! Just trying to put a goofy spin on things here. (anodized blue tire valve caps as a major mod). I'm just looking to do a few minor appearance changes for now. Paint brake calipers Impulse blue. Maybe the lug caps, too. I also really like how Stan blacked out the twin nostrils. Those changes and a subtle window tint should add a touch of personality to the car.

Will eventually work my way into power modifications as I learn a lot more about how the mods affect other parts of the car. Some of the folks in here are very impressive in that regards. My cap is definitely tipped.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Miscreant, That's what I was hoping to find. Many thanks. I owe you a burrito with the works for that one!

·
2,137 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I like it bright personally. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts