LS1GTO.com Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Josh181817
2,150 Posts
The more I read about this car the more I question gm quality. Are u telling me I'm gonna have to pull the trans out of this thing every 30k to swap slaves lol that's horrible reliability.

I just hit 30k miles and I can definatly tell it doesn't shift as smoothly as when I got it.

What are the signs of a failing slave ? I'm debating on doing an ls7 unit or monster stage 1 as my power goals are moddest. I don't plan on ever going over 400-430 rwhp.

Seems to me ls7 after you buy a slave really isn't that much cheaper then a monster kit that comes with a slave.

Thoughts and recomendations? I figured if I need a slave I might as well do a clutch and remote bleeder while I'm in there
GM's reliability is not much different than other American car makers. The GTO is a pretty damn reliable car. My first slave lasted me around 70k, and im at 86k now with no problems on the one that came with my Monster.

Go with a monster clutch. I have the stage 2, and know several people that have various staged Monsters that wont buy any thing but. With how old your car is, and the amount of miles you have on it, I would recommend changing your fluid. That may help the way it shifts. Change trans and clutch fluid. Buy you a Monster, and you can take care of it all at once.

·
Ecotec tech
2,133 Posts
GM's reliability is not much different than other American car makers. The GTO is a pretty damn reliable car. My first slave lasted me around 70k, and im at 86k now with no problems on the one that came with my Monster.

Go with a monster clutch. I have the stage 2, and know several people that have various staged Monsters that wont buy any thing but. With how old your car is, and the amount of miles you have on it, I would recommend changing your fluid. That may help the way it shifts. Change trans and clutch fluid. Buy you a Monster, and you can take care of it all at once.
im at 95,XXX miles, still on stock clutch (with no sign of slippage), just swapped slaves, and changed trans fluid while it was out. shifting feels muuuch better now, and the fact that my stock stuff has lasted this long so far seems like a good testament to the fact that GM can build a car (and tremec/BW can build a solid trans)

·
CCGTO
1,022 Posts
im at 95,XXX miles, still on stock clutch (with no sign of slippage), just swapped slaves, and changed trans fluid while it was out. shifting feels muuuch better now, and the fact that my stock stuff has lasted this long so far seems like a good testament to the fact that GM can build a car (and tremec/BW can build a solid trans)
Now why at 95K would you NOT change the "original" clutch while you had the trans out?! I would think it's getting close to replacement time?

·
Ecotec tech
2,133 Posts
Now why at 95K would you NOT change the "original" clutch while you had the trans out?! I would think it's getting close to replacement time?
probably, but I don't have the money for a new clutch. slave and fluid is around $100 :/

·
wut?
477 Posts
I just bought an '02 Trans Am slave from Vatozone so we'll see how it goes tomorrow!

·
Burning Eight & Smoking Four
11 Posts
I just joined the......I need a new slave club....that doesn't sound quite right. My Goat is just shy of 17k miles.....grrrrr. Decided to go with the Tick / L2 Monster Complete Clutch Swap.....and updated the flywheel as well.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
I just bought an '02 Trans Am slave from Vatozone so we'll see how it goes tomorrow!
Advance Auto has the GTO specific slave for $64

·
May I quote you on that?
22,049 Posts
Sweet.

·
judge
2 Posts
Looks like I am going to have to replace a slave cylinder for third time if you count the OEM with vehicle. And I only have 6k miles on a 2006 GTO. is this from not using enough?

101 - 110 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.