LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a GMHTP from about 2 months ago and came across something that has got me wondering. When changing Springs avalve seals on an LS7 they took an 8mm deep well and hammered the Viton seal down until it hit the spring seat. Is that the normal install procedure. For the heck of it I took my rockers off(thus the other post about red loctite) and one of my valvesprings. An 8mm socket doesn't even fit over the valve stem. So anyways, what is the proper way to install Viton seals?
Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Use a socket that is just big enough to go around the upper part of the seal(part with the small spring) and seat on the lower part, then smack it on. I have seal installers that I have made up for different stem sizes, but a socket will work.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So do not rest the socket on the area of the spring on the valve seal? Are you saying to wedge a socket down on the seal kind of? Thanks

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Yes - a socket that fits over the top part and rests on the step where the metal meets the rubber.

·
Suck it Trebek
1,502 Posts
Also they don't usually go to the seat either. They sit about 1/8" above when fully seated. You'll know by how the sound changes as your tapping them down as to when it's seated fully.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, a 13mm deep well was the ticket. Mine also when down to about an 1/8" from the spring seat.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
ok, so how do you get the old ones out?

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
i knew there would have to be a tool i don't have and will need. thanks guys

·
Goatless
565 Posts
svede1212 said:
i knew there would have to be a tool i don't have and will need. thanks guys

You don't need one for the stock seals. Needle nose vise grips pull the stock seat/seal right out.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
then i'm ready! no, wait. need the cam first :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts